Advice from L3902 HST owners

Moose7060

Equipment
M7060, Farm King PT740, HLA 2500 Snowpusher, LandPride RCR1872, Defender HD9 XT
Oct 14, 2023
bc
I am considering the purchase of a new L3902 HST for the sole purpose of pasture maintenance instead of using my M7060. I presently have a RCR1872 that the L3902 can handle as per landpride website. I was hoping to use turf tires and no loader, but adding the max 7 weights on the front. Fairly flat terrain mostly with a gentle slope on one portion. Wrong tires or insufficient weight? Anyone with a similar setup or experience in this regard? Appreciate any feedback received. Thanks.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I don't have any experience with that tractor but do pull an RCR1884 around which is obviously the next size up over your RCR1872, and do it with the MX6000 or M6060.

I'm interested in how you ended up at an L3902 vs. other models. I assume it's an open station variant since you didn't call it an HSTC. I'm not recommending any particular model, but am genuinely interested in your thought process.

Reactions: 1 user

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
I am considering the purchase of a new L3902 HST for the sole purpose of pasture maintenance instead of using my M7060. I presently have a RCR1872 that the L3902 can handle as per landpride website. I was hoping to use turf tires and no loader, but adding the max 7 weights on the front. Fairly flat terrain mostly with a gentle slope on one portion. Wrong tires or insufficient weight? Anyone with a similar setup or experience in this regard? Appreciate any feedback received. Thanks.
Ihave an L3901 with R4s and I cant imagine any problem. Bit dollars to donuts you will regret not getting the loader.

Dan

Moose7060

Equipment
Oct 14, 2023
bc
I don't have any experience with that tractor but do pull an RCR1884 around which is obviously the next size up over your RCR1872, and do it with the MX6000 or M6060.

I'm interested in how you ended up at an L3902 vs. other models. I assume it's an open station variant since you didn't call it an HSTC. I'm not recommending any particular model, but am genuinely interested in your thought process.
I sometimes wonder about my thought process as well :) I was just thinking I would enjoy an open station cab on a beautiful sunny day while mowing the fields at times. Started out looking at used, cheap tractors but ended up deciding a newer one with warranty was not a whole lot more, and the L3902 seemed a capable enough machine at a price the department of finance could live with, but once again, my thought process may be flawed hence my advice seeking from experienced members here such as yourself.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

Moose7060

Equipment
Oct 14, 2023
bc
Ihave an L3901 with R4s and I cant imagine any problem. Bit dollars to donuts you will regret not getting the loader.

Dan
Thanks Dan. You are probably right on the loader.

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
I sometimes wonder about my thought process as well :) I was just thinking I would enjoy an open station cab on a beautiful sunny day while mowing the fields at times. Started out looking at used, cheap tractors but ended up deciding a newer one with warranty was not a whole lot more, and the L3902 seemed a capable enough machine at a price the department of finance could live with, but once again, my thought process may be flawed hence my advice seeking from experienced members here such as yourself.
Your 7060 has a cab? And you want a smaller open station? You may have spent too much time in the sun already. :)

I'd either do as TheOldHokie said and get the HST with loader or get an older 2wd, something like our plain Ford/NH3930.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
My first two tractors, a BX25D and MX6000 were open station models and I remember how much I enjoyed puttering around on a nice spring day. I definitely felt more connected to what I was doing with an open station.

If you have the money then an L3902 would be a very nice addition to your M7060 and given your terrain would do fine with the RCR1872. As @TheOldHokie said, you should get the loader for sure. The only caveat is that if you have a lot of attachments for your M7060, an MX6000 would allow for more commonality between the two tractors. I'm regularly running an implement on the back of the MX and then moving it to the M. The same goes for loader mounted implements such as the grapple or hydraulic snow blade or buckets. I like the ability to run everything I have with either tractor, but also to have each tractor set up for different tasks.

Reactions: 3 users

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
I don't mow that much, but I've always heard it's better to have a cab when you mow nests, have dusty conditions, lots of pollen, etc. ;)

I think I'd buy a larger mower like a 12 ft batwing and use the M.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
If you want a tractor for fun (i.e. you have a perfectly fine M7060 that can do the job, you are doing this because you think it'd be fun to have a different machine) I'd be looking at some sort of vintage machine. Because if it breaks you can just use the M, and the duties you describe don't need a loader, don't need 4wd, and mostly reward a bit of HP and a bit of weight.

Maybe an 8N (perhaps not enough HP?)

Maybe something like this (I know, green is evil): https://www.ebay.com/itm/276098014671

I'm not really across what tractors Americans would love, in NZ it'd be a Massey 135 that would fit in this category.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
If you want a tractor for fun (i.e. you have a perfectly fine M7060 that can do the job, you are doing this because you think it'd be fun to have a different machine) I'd be looking at some sort of vintage machine. Because if it breaks you can just use the M, and the duties you describe don't need a loader, don't need 4wd, and mostly reward a bit of HP and a bit of weight.

Maybe an 8N (perhaps not enough HP?)

Maybe something like this (I know, green is evil): https://www.ebay.com/itm/276098014671

I'm not really across what tractors Americans would love, in NZ it'd be a Massey 135 that would fit in this category.
I have an 8N, and while it is an OK old tractor, it simply cannot hold a candle to a Massey 135.
I wish I could trade!

hedgerow

Jan 2, 2015
Malcolm NE
If it were me and all I would going to use the L3902 for is pasture mowing I would sell the RCR1872 and buy a new batwing mower to use behind the M7060. You just as well sit in a nice cab to mow. I have a seven foot three point mower hanging around and the first couple summers I had my MX6000 open station I used it a little to mow with. It was ok but I have a batwing and a JD 4440 that was just setting in the shed. Last summer I just used the batwing and I had up graded my mower tractor to a JD 7320 FWA . I need to sell the seven foot mower and get the shed space. Sprayer will just stay on the MX6000 all summer. I do like the open MX-6000 for spot spraying.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
I have an 8N, and while it is an OK old tractor, it simply cannot hold a candle to a Massey 135.
I wish I could trade!
My brother-in-law has a Massey 135, my mother has a Ferguson TEA. The 135 is a diesel and a reasonably nice machine whilst still being vintage (I'm old enough that I have trouble with tractors from the 70s being vintage.....but they are). The TEA is the same age as my father was (1948), and a gas engine. About 20hp I believe. It's a bit of a death trap, but a cool old machine. Definitely would not mow with the TEA, but definitely would (and have) mow with the 135.

Mum uses the TEA for work around the house block - it has a transport tray on the back, so she can use it to lift and shift stuff, tow the trailer. It's OK on the flats, not so keen on her driving it down the hill to the burn pile. Brakes on those old machines are not flash, and it doesn't go into gear well - it's easy to end up with a tractor free wheeling down the hill - that was bad enough with a 50 year old me when it happened, it'd be worse with a 70 year old mother trying to stomp on the brakes.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
My brother-in-law has a Massey 135, my mother has a Ferguson TEA. The 135 is a diesel and a reasonably nice machine whilst still being vintage (I'm old enough that I have trouble with tractors from the 70s being vintage.....but they are). The TEA is the same age as my father was (1948), and a gas engine. About 20hp I believe. It's a bit of a death trap, but a cool old machine. Definitely would not mow with the TEA, but definitely would (and have) mow with the 135.

Mum uses the TEA for work around the house block - it has a transport tray on the back, so she can use it to lift and shift stuff, tow the trailer. It's OK on the flats, not so keen on her driving it down the hill to the burn pile. Brakes on those old machines are not flash, and it doesn't go into gear well - it's easy to end up with a tractor free wheeling down the hill - that was bad enough with a 50 year old me when it happened, it'd be worse with a 70 year old mother trying to stomp on the brakes.
I am 83, and occasionally drive my 8N, but I am really done with it.
No hills on my property.
I really need to find it a new home.

DaveFromMi

Equipment
L3901, 5' Bush Hog
Apr 14, 2021
Indiana
Unless you are driving the tractor in your yard, you won't need turf tires. R4s should suffice.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I don't mow that much, but I've always heard it's better to have a cab when you mow nests, have dusty conditions, lots of pollen, etc. ;)

I think I'd buy a larger mower like a 12 ft batwing and use the M.
I'm with you on the cab thing when cutting or mulching. I've done it both ways and a cab is better! 😂 I'm with you on the 12ft folding cutter thing too! That's what Land Pride calls them. I should be getting a 37 series folding cutter in a month or two. I could use it now but will have to wait. I placed the order a while back but the build date is/was sometime in June.

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
Good day.

I don’t have direct experience with L390X. But I do mow regularly with a B open station and an MX open station. Me personally for my frequency of use, and my dislike of dirty windows, I don’t want a cab, mainly because I don’t want to clean it or the windows. I like the open air… i drive with the windows down in good weather in my truck. I am sure that is against the grain, but I don’t think I could mow or do much of anything in the garden without dust in the windows, dirt/mud in the cab…yes I get mud on the floorboard, but it hoses off pretty easy. And I don’t want water spots on the glass either. I prefer the open air…there are a lot of nice days that I sure enjoy a cigar while I mow. Not sure a cab is right for me. Sure there are times a cab would be nice. Sure what i worry about on the windows I am breathing in….yes i am smoking a cigar…it’s not rational just my preference. I’ll have a cabbed machine someday, but I’ll likely keep an open station with me when that time comes.

I think the L 390x is a nice size machine and would be a great compliment to your M. I am obviously biased and I think 2 are better than 1. Go for 2! 🥃

Reactions: 4 users

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
I don't know why you would need turfs or the "max 7 weights". but am not familiar with your land and mower. I've been happy with R4's on 3 different tractors for mowing my yard since 2002.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Sure there are times a cab would be nice. Sure what i worry about on the windows I am breathing in….yes i am smoking a cigar…it’s not rational just my preference. I’ll have a cabbed machine someday, but I’ll likely keep an open station with me when that time comes.
I realize that this isn't an open station vs. cab thread, and it's hard to argue against having a cab and an open station tractor and I can certainly see the appeal. That said, having owned and used two open station models with close to 500 hours of use between the two, there are few tasks and days up here when an open station makes sense whether it's dust, bugs, heat, cold, rain, wind, snow or whatever.

The thing about cabbed tractors is that they make every day and every job a tractor day since they eliminate the irritations or health hazards that open station tractors allow. It wasn't fun wearing a dust mask, goggles, hearing protection and a hat when cutting my fields with the MX6000 open station. The dust and pulverized vegetation still gets everywhere.

Snow blowing with an open station was ok, but once you have a cab and have realized how much more comfortable and frankly enjoyable every task is it's unlikely that most will revert to an open station.

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
I realize that this isn't an open station vs. cab thread, and it's hard to argue against having a cab and an open station tractor and I can certainly see the appeal. That said, having owned and used two open station models with close to 500 hours of use between the two, there are few tasks and days up here when an open station makes sense whether it's dust, bugs, heat, cold, rain, wind, snow or whatever.

The thing about cabbed tractors is that they make every day and every job a tractor day since they eliminate the irritations or health hazards that open station tractors allow. It wasn't fun wearing a dust mask, goggles, hearing protection and a hat when cutting my fields with the MX6000 open station. The dust and pulverized vegetation still gets everywhere.

Snow blowing with an open station was ok, but once you have a cab and have realized how much more comfortable and frankly enjoyable every task is it's unlikely that most will revert to an open station.
Don’t get me wrong, I am moving to an open station. Spousal unit gave me the green light last week. As we are setting stuff up for our new place (snow belt), as we all know a new machine is necessary😉. (I’ll want at least one comfortable cabbed machine up there) I mentioned about cabbed machine in not so distant future and the response I got was ‘before we get a third machine, you should trade in or sell the MX for the larger cabbed machine that we want to add…and limit it to just 2 newer tractors’. That’s my green light to go to cabbed machine. So actually right now I am the speed bump….buts it’s in the budget plan. I’d also like to note that IMO there is wiggle room that there is not a limitation in older used machines. 😂

Reactions: 2 users

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Don’t get me wrong, I am moving to an open station. Spousal unit gave me the green light last week. As we are setting stuff up for our new place (snow belt), as we all know a new machine is necessary😉. (I’ll want at least one comfortable cabbed machine up there) I mentioned about cabbed machine in not so distant future and the response I got was ‘before we get a third machine, you should trade in or sell the MX for the larger cabbed machine that we want to add…and limit it to just 2 newer tractors’. That’s my green light to go to cabbed machine. So actually right now I am the speed bump….buts it’s in the budget plan. I’d also like to note that IMO there is wiggle room that there is not a limitation in older used machines. 😂
There are plenty of older used machines that would be a good fit. I can make a fairly long list of my favorites. As the current long time owner of an 8N and a 9N I am going to tell you they would not come even close to making that list.

Dan