Adding front weight - ideas please!

prof.fate

Equipment
75 L175, 14 toro timesaver, Landpride boxblade, countyline auger
Nov 9, 2017
Beaver, PA
got a picture or something of a 'rock box'?

If you've got scrap and the wherewithal to put together a rock box, that's a cheap and versatile option as well. You can put rocks, scrap, or sandbags in it when you've got something on the back, and empty it when you don't. It can also be used to carry chains, splitting mauls, and other things that may come in handy and to pick rocks that you may come across.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
How do I post pictures..when I tried it wanted a URL of the image..I don't have the picture online anywhere.
Several ways to post pictures......

most of us have the picture on the hard drive that we want to post, this is rather easy.

As you start a post, typing in the white box - scroll down with your mouse - and right below the (submit reply) (Preview Post) boxes are additional options.

Second one is ATTACH files. -
click on manage attachments,
small screen pops up.....choose file ....click on that,
find you file on your computer - it will come back to this screen as soon as you click on file -
next, to the right in the small screen is UPLOAD, this will move that file to OTT -
BUT be careful, the file will take a few seconds to upload, you will see in the bottom of the small screen the % of how much it is complete, once complete (100%) hit close this window!

I always preview post first - making sure stuff is where it should be!

Last edited:

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
How about getting some front tractor weights and hang on the bent front bracket. Shouldn't have to do anything and it will hold at least 4ea 50# weights.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
here is front of tractor
Looking at that .......make a rectangle box, allow those two pipe holes to be your bolt in points - or make a sliding insert pin

Make a box roughly 18" x 12" x 12" ........that 1.5 cubic feet - fill this box with concrete, 2 1/2 bags will do it! YOU'LL have 200 pound right there!

Total cost about $25

NOW - to open your hood - you will need to remove the box:rolleyes:

Last edited:

prof.fate

Equipment
Nov 9, 2017
Beaver, PA
How do they normally stay on there? I use the tractor daily in a bumpy pasture to deliver hay to the horses.

Looks liek the unbent bracket had some type of attachement - perhaps a big wide u-bolt type affair.

And again, price..cast iron weights are dearly prices here..200lb is over $300. Even used ones (never seen kubota specific..do Deere weights fit? are $1/lb, so $200.)

I'm wondering if I cast concrete will it hold up to the bumps?

If I could figure a mount for 5 gallon buckets, it would seem from googling one is about 100lb when filled with concrete.

How about getting some front tractor weights and hang on the bent front bracket. Shouldn't have to do anything and it will hold at least 4ea 50# weights.

prof.fate

Equipment
Nov 9, 2017
Beaver, PA
18x12x12 doesn't seem too big...but yeah, lifting one solid chunk like that isn't appealing.

How thick do you think the box metal needs to be..or maybe just make the outline of angle and put 'blocks' of concrete in... still, how robust does this need to be do ya think?

Looking at that .......make a rectangle box, allow those two pipe holes to be your bolt in points - or make a sliding insert pin

Make a box roughly 18" x 12" x 12" ........that 1.5 cubic feet - fill this box with concrete, 2 1/2 bags will do it! YOU'LL have 200 pound right there!

Total cost about $25

NOW - to open your hood - you will need to remove the box:rolleyes:

bucktail

Equipment
L1500DT, 6' king kutter back blade, boom, dirt scoop ford disk JD212
Jun 13, 2016
MN
Last edited:

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
you dont even need the metal box - make a form out of simple plywood or scrap.......place two holes in the bottom and place a raised bolt in the box -allow a couple of inches to hang out , pour concrete (add a little chicken wire if you have any laying around) and then once solid - remove the bottom. One solid block that slides into your two mounting holes. It will never fall out and can be easily removed! If 200 lbs is too much ....make is smaller

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
In your first post you said, "I can weld so perhaps make up something to hold them..like a barbell concept perhaps."

How about weld a flat piece of steel across the front bumper plate (that is bent). In the center drill a hole to insert a large bolt or weld a round shaft sticking up a few inches. Then find some barbell weights to lay over the bolt/shaft. You can add until you run out of space and remove in small increments. You can find weights at yard sales or Craig's List at very little cost.

prof.fate

Equipment
Nov 9, 2017
Beaver, PA
Yeah, I tried...large sledge and heavy swings..ever see the cartoons where the character does that and vibrates like a rung bell? Yep.

Lots of heat might work, but I don't have a torch setup.

There's one on this tractor:

https://stcloud.craigslist.org/grd/d/1990-john-deere-4055/6411886478.html

Personally, I wouldn't put concrete in it; it limits its versatility. That front bumper just looks like someone pulled on it to get the tractor unstuck. It looks like it could be straightened with force and foul language, but you don't know til you try.

al m

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota b1750,60" mm,48" argo trend snowblower,5' grader blade
Jul 30, 2012
smiths falls on Canada
If it was my tractor ,I would start by making a new bumper out of plate steel,or barstck,then maybe like one of the other said,make a steel box that bolts on that can be used as a carry all,and filled with scrap metal ,rocks or what ever you have laying around when you need weight
Great place to keep a length of chain,that's weight and handy to have

Last edited:

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
How do they normally stay on there? I use the tractor daily in a bumpy pasture to deliver hay to the horses.

Your weights would hook onto the rack if it was straight. They might bolt down. They do on my L185 but I don’t see that bar on yours.

You can un bolt the bent up rack and have it straightened under a press or just toss it.

I’ll try to find a link to a thread that I think will show you the way they work

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

prof.fate

Equipment
Nov 9, 2017
Beaver, PA
OK, you guys have been great with ideas...

So I"m thiking if I cut the current 'bumper' in the middle and I have a 20 ton press I can straighten the two halves so that they will be like forks - I can than do a number of things (still pondering).

A) cut notch (or something) and place a 'barbell' across the forks with barbell weights on it.
B) cast concrete to slip over the 'forks'
D) make a box to hold weight and mount it on top of the forks .. or it will hang on them like saddle bags sorta..mabybe better to call it a 3 compartment box, or a box with 'slots' like a dumpster had where the forks pick it up, or many other possibilities

Will look at it tomorrow and see if the cut/straighten ides will work.

al m

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota b1750,60" mm,48" argo trend snowblower,5' grader blade
Jul 30, 2012
smiths falls on Canada
You can weld,you have a press,and a head full of ideas,I'm sure something will evolve for you tomorrow.Let us know how it works out,and good luck,time working on the tractor time well spent

prof.fate

Equipment
Nov 9, 2017
Beaver, PA

Looks liek the unbent bracket had some type of attachement - perhaps a big wide u-bolt type affair.

And again, price..cast iron weights are dearly prices here..200lb is over $300. Even used ones (never seen kubota specific..do Deere weights fit? are $1/lb, so $200.)

I'm wondering if I cast concrete will it hold up to the bumps?

If I could figure a mount for 5 gallon buckets, it would seem from googling one is about 100lb when filled with concrete.