Added Hard Canopy - Now Louder

weldguy

Equipment
BX2200
Apr 13, 2014
Columbus, Ohio
My wife finally took pity on me mowing in hot weather and bought me a hard canopy for my BX2200 for Father's Dah. Ahhh, relief from the sun. However, the added hard surface is reflecting the engine and deck noise!
Anyone ever tried to dampen reflected noise? Jegs has a couple very expensive self-adhesive materials, but I don't want to double the cost of the canopy.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
DYI was being funny there but I know there are tons of guys and gals that wear either plugs or muffs when running the tractor, I know I do. As far as sound deadening you might try some foam padding like the stuff for beds glued to the underside of the top or maybe heavy duty double back tape. My self I would opt for the head set and you can even listen to the big game too

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
The foam used in tractor cabs. But your concerns about cost make it prohibitive.
Rubberized undercoating would be less money and only deaden it marginally

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
What might absorb some and be cost effective is drop ceiling tile hung in there as a sound absorber. Cover tile in Plasticoat or cheap truck bed liner to keep moisture from killing it. Don't know if that will kill its ability to soak up sound though. Might try it first with just cellophane wrap on it to keep moisture away from the tile.

Does not have to be fully lined with it. Just one down the center north to south.... or if it will work two of them east to west.

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
Years ago I started wearing a wide-brimmed hat instead of a baseball cap when outdoors in the sun. The brim bounced enough noise back to my ears to be bothersome. That's when I started wearing ear protection. After building the cab, the noise was too much regardless of headwear. When it's cool, Browning shooting muffs are often the ticket. In warmer weather foam ear plugs are cooler and more comfortable.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
One of my neighbors, a "real" farmer, who says frequently his wife won't let him buy a new tractor with a cab (he only has 5 tractors of various sizes and configurations), told me the canopies are noisy as noted above. She did however buy him something that looks like a big beach umbrella that he says works great and doesn't increase the noise and trap the heat. I've seen him out in the hay field with it.

rbargeron

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L5450, L48, L3250, L345 never enough attachments
Jul 6, 2015
western ma
I've tried two brands of over-the-ear noise-reducing headphones. The first pair was the acclaimed John Deeres (where Deere had bought the inventor's company). They were very effective but rough handling did them in. Now I have a Bose pair - they reduce noise well and are holding up to normal use. Haven't tried earbud type - seems like they'd be more comfortable in hot weather.

Last edited:

Steve NC

Equipment
B7100D, L2900DT, ZD21, G6200,
Dec 29, 2014
Sandy Bottom North Carolina
I made the same discovery as Chim this summer when I also started wearing a very wide brim hat. I started hearing all kinds of noises due to the sound waves bouncing back. You might want to try some of racing parts supply companies like summit racing or jegs. They carry sound dampening kits. They start about the $30 range and go up and up from there.

Takota

Equipment
L3301
Jan 27, 2016
Sanford, Fl
12 bucks for a can of undercoating or sound deadening from Autozone/ Discount etc. Will also help reflect more heat.

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, RCK54P MMM, BB1548 Box Scraper, Quick Hitch, Piranha Bar, BX6315
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
I noticed that the engine noise from my BX1860 got louder after putting on the hard top too. It was not until I read tis thread that I realized just when I started noticing the noise more. I wonder if spray in bed liner under the hood of the engine would quiet it down some. If I did that would it cause the engine to run hotter? Opinions?

coachgeo

Equipment
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
sound is a vibration..... a coating of something hard is not going to change anything (bed liner etc) etc. maybe the tone of the sound as it is reflected off the surface.

You need something to dissipate or absorb the vibrations.

Another idea. Bubble Wrap. Try some double side tape to attach some to the inside top? The bubbles of air might pump up and down to the vibrations .... changing vibration to motion instead of reflecting it back toward your ears. At least with the tape, you can remove it if it does not work.

coachgeo

Equipment
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
Some Good stuff on youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80stH6SGjIE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1x7-wKCDkw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZaE7RfkN1Eo

similar principle..... cushion absorbs sound and aluminum skin keeps out sound from otherside of vehicle metal from coming into vehicle.... BUTTT.... IMHO we don't want the skin cause the tractors sound is flowing from below us and we don't to reflect what went up past us back down at us again.

Though you might put stuff like this on the inside of the hood to reflect some sound down toward ground and not up thru hood and out to to our ears and/or

NEPA Guy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650HSDC, Spacers, FEL, BH, Snowblower, Snowplow, PBar, Forks
Nov 28, 2015
Pennsyltucky
I have a cab on mine. I notice it's louder once you're inside. Tractors are loud and whiney as it is. I don't think anything you do is going to make a noticeable difference. I wouldn't waste my time or money on anything in or outside the cab.

What you should get is a good pair of headphones. I trust big brand names.

3M makes a good one. Opt for the highest NRR rating possible. I don't like the ear plugs, they tend to wiggle loose with hitting bumps while operating the tractor, or just too uncomfortable.

Don't go with noise cancelling headphones, bose or otherwise. It has no NRR rating. I called bose directly. It doesn't stop the sound, it just masks it.

Hearing loss is cumulative. You only get one chance.

https://www.amazon.com/3M-Peltor-Ov...e=UTF8&qid=1466163776&sr=1-10&keywords=nrr+33

NoJacketRequired

Equipment
B7510 & LA302 FEL & B2782 blower, B7510 & B2781 blower, B2410 & B2550 blower
May 25, 2016
Ottawa, Ontario
Don't go with noise cancelling headphones, bose or otherwise. It has no NRR rating. I called bose directly. It doesn't stop the sound, it just masks it.

Hearing loss is cumulative. You only get one chance.

https://www.amazon.com/3M-Peltor-Ov...e=UTF8&qid=1466163776&sr=1-10&keywords=nrr+33
First, a word or two of background... I've spent over half my life in aviation, working on everything from single engine Cessna-style airplanes to Air Force One, including fast attack aircraft and the biggest of transports and helicopters. In short, I've spent thousands of hours around some of the noisiest machines on earth. I'm also a licensed Aircraft Maintenance Engineer and worked as an avionics manufacturer's tech rep for a dozen years - this job often required me to be standing right beside running turbine engines. I've also been an internationally-competitive shooter in the Olympic pistol disciplines. None of that makes me an expert on noise, but it does let you know that I have a little experience with managing noise since my last audiogram shows no detectable hearing loss.

With all that having been said, the comment above about not using Active Noise Reduction headsets is absolutely incorrect. This type of headset has been used in aviation for 15-20 years and has done a good job of protecting hearing in very high-noise environments. The way an ANR headset works is by sensing the noise outside the headset, then using tiny speakers inside the headset to produce a noise waveform in the exact opposite phase as compared to the "real" noise. The net effect is the noise is cancelled out. Think of it like a bank account. Somebody from outside gives you a dollar, but the bank charges a dollar to deposit it, so you're left with nothing. That's how ANR works. I personally use an ANR headset as the one I take with me from airplane to airplane. It produces very good noise reduction without having lots of clamping force and sweating under the ear seals. The down-side is that it runs on batteries and is far too fragile for tractor work. In my own aircraft I use a headset that is based on custom-molded earplugs and it produces noise reduction that is at least equal to, if not better than the ANR headset, plus they weigh nothing, stay put, don't get tangled in the hair, and don't leak noise around the legs of sunglasses etc.

For shooting I've gone to doubling up my hearing protection; a set of Peltor "Shotgunner" earmuffs on the outside and a set of silicone ear plugs in the ears. Pistols are very loud and this setup has proven to be effective over years of indoor shooting.

There are a lot of options available to us and we will each choose the one that fits us best. If you don't like earplugs because they fall out, try a set that uses an external clamping band. I use these for running the string trimmer and lawnmower as well as woodworking tools and they work fine and stay put.

Our B7510 (new to us just this week!) has a Curtis cab with Hush-a-mat installed in its ceiling. The noise level inside the cab is almost guaranteed to cause permanent hearing loss so I have hung a set of these clamp-style earplugs in the cab:
http://www.safetyawakenings.com/our-favorite-hearing-protection-for-the-safety-person/

Not wearing hearing protection while operating machinery is, at best, unwise. Hearing loss is indeed cumulative and can sneak up on you. Hearing protection is cheap. For those that say you can't hear vital sounds coming from the equipment, all I can say is that's absolutely false. Once you become accustomed to the sound signature of the machine reaching your ears through the hearing protection you will be able to detect abnormalities very easily. Last winter I was operating our MF-135 diesel tractor blowing snow at full power. A small safety chain with a cotter pin on the end was dangling and touching the PTO shaft when the tractor rocked from side to side. I heard that through NRR28 earmuffs. The bad news is that, if you don't wear hearing protection, you may hear some machine sounds today but in a few years time you won't hear ANY sounds.

NEPA Guy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650HSDC, Spacers, FEL, BH, Snowblower, Snowplow, PBar, Forks
Nov 28, 2015
Pennsyltucky
Interesting. The bose tech didn't say that their headphones had a positive effect on preventing hearing loss. When I asked him if it had an NRR rating, which is all I know about, he said no.

I'm an avid shooter as well. I've tried doubling up on the plugs and headphones.

I'll have to do some more work on finding a better earplug solution. I'll try the silicone ones.

Thanks for the input.

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST, KingKutter box scraper, KingKutter 66" rake, County Pride Subsoiler
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
I tried a few mods to my tractor when re-building the hood.

I shot the inside of the whole engine cowl with stone chip (WallyMart DuPont I believe) to give the metal some mass and then painted it. Zero difference. I have foam isolation material and heavy rubber sound deadening material with heavy foil on one side that I thought about putting on the cowl but most of the noise comes out of the HST. And, the strut for the cowl would never hold 40 lbs of deadening material. Headphones are lighter.

The previous owner also severely cracked the fiberglass roof in the accident and I didn't know how bad it was so I pulled the hood but left the roof on. The year of use expanded the cracks and when I removed it for repair, I was shocked. After the extensive fiberglass repair, I shot the inside with stone chip and just left it that way. Looks great and it may kill a little noise but not so much that I could tell. The fiberglass is pretty heavy.

I wear the Howard Leight Honeywell AM/FM/AUX headset and like it so much I bought a couple more on sale. Comfortable and quiet.

Good Luck,

Ray

Attachments

Last edited:

tempforce

Equipment
B2650HSDC
Jun 23, 2012
bastrop, tx
get something like the rubber mats used in horse trailers. line the floor of the cab area. then get the rubber matt used to seal around windows when installing them, comes in a roll. it works like dynamat, only less expensive.
then you could put some of the sound dampening rubber on the lower portions of the metal sections of the cab. this will reduce the noise inside the cab.
my B3350 came with a thick rubber mat on the floor of the cab. i will be doing the other sound deadening mods shortly. they also should reduce some of the heat coming off the rear end case... (which makes the seat a bit warm after using the tractor for a couple hours). adding the sound deadening material should help the a/c, control the air temp inside the cab, a bit easier..