Adapting SSQA forks for use on 3PH quicktach

retiree-urgency abandoned

Equipment
B3350, Kub. 5" rotary cutter, LP 48" forks, Titan Aerial Platform, KK XB Dump
Dec 1, 2020
Bloomington, IN
I'd like to modify the pallet forks for my tractor (they mount to the front end loader using skid steer quick attach, SSQA) so that I could also be able to hang them on my Speeco 3 point quicktach on the rear of my tractor. There are aftermarket 3ph to SSQA adapters, but that's overkill/overcost for what I want to do (and per a buddy, the welds look really terrible on them) - I just want to get double-duty out of the forks I already have without adding another implement to my arsenal. Would allow me to go out into the field with everything I need - bucket on the front and forks w/aerial work platform carryall on the back.

Here's what I'm thinking - weld some 3ph hangers with pins on the forks. I marked up the picture below. First I'd have some square stock (the blue) - welded up the center (maybe just a single piece on the tractor-facing side of the fork frame (rather than piecing it between the existing fork rails) - there's clearance in the middle so it shouldn't interfere with the SSQA. Then, I'd have flat plate cut into ears/tabs (the green squares) with holes (red circles) for the pin & bottom rail drilled in them. Rather than laying flat (per my drawing) to the frame, they're turned 90 degrees (going toward the tractor) - the top pair would catch a normal 3ph pin. The bottom 4 would catch a 1" solid steel tube - with a welded stop at one end and a washer and a sturdy R hitch pin outside of the other end tab to keep the rail in place. That way, for changeover from 3ph to SSQA, I just have to pull the hitch pin and remove the lower tube (weighs less than 15 lbs). The top pin is high enough that it wouldn't interfere with the SSQA when I'm using the forks on the FEL. To changeover from 3ph to SSQA, I'd just reverse these steps and no heavy lifting!

Of course you'd need to get the spacing right - height of tabs high enough so 3PH quicktach hooks (when lowered) would clear under the pin/rod to grab the forks, as well as depth clearance on the forks (size of tabs) for the hooks on the 3ph quicktach, so they grab clear of the fork frame. Parts list for this design:

1. 1" x 48" steel round (not hollow) for bottom rail. I found this with a little online research - https://fastmetals.com/search?q=1"+...gs_category:ALLOY/filter:tags_category:CARBON - the CARBON 1018 COLD FINISHED ROUND ASTM A108 with a welded stop on one end and drilled for a hitch pin on the other end. I could order this if Dusty can't get it.

2. 6 tabs/ears of sheet steel - 1/2" stock - size the tabs as needed (overbuild a little, please) for support.

3. 1 piece of square tube (5/15" or 3/8" wall), square solid or equivalent - what one can scrounge - maybe even a piece of beam or RR rail - size (2"x2", 3"X3", ?) to be determined for load - if tube, leave both ends open for ventilation

4. 1 1" inside diameter washer to go on bottom rail beside hitch pin

5. 1 (stout) R hitch pin for bottom rail

6. 1 3ph hitch pin (for top ears)

Would welcome your thoughts on this.

Thanks!

Attachments

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
I see a big 'dimensional' problem..
SSQA is 45" for mounting, 3PH is 26", so the 3PH 'tabs' welded to SSQA plate ill be +-9" inside the ends not where they are in 2.png ( green tabs)
It'd probably be easier to fab SSQA/3PH adapteror modify a cheap 3PH 'carryall' to be an SSQA adapter.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Instead of altering the forks, which I personally think is a very bad idea for safety reasons.
I would just get a three point adapter or make one.

Equipment
Dec 1, 2020
Bloomington, IN
Thanks for the ideas -

GV Jay - the problem I had was that the bottom hooks on the 3ph quicktach lined up almost exactly with the SSQA connections on the forks. So any permanent modification where the hooks it would cause problems with the SSQA. That's why I came up with the tabs at each end of the forks and a pair in the center on the vertical square stock with the 1" stock running through them - the hooks would grab the bar, rather than near the tabs. Pardon my limited drawing skills ...

NI Wolfman - just so I understand, how would adding the tabs & vertical square stock to the existing fork frame (these would be welded on - no cuts to the fork frame) affect the safety? Effectively, when mounted on the FEL with the original SSQA, there'd be no change. When mounted on the back, would the safety risk be possible failure of the welds on the tabs or do you see something else? At this point in my life, I'm into avoiding pucker moments, rather than creating them.

It's great to get a reality check on this from the OTT members!

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
I agree with NIW, it'd be 'cruel' to modify the SSQA fork unit. Really, simply buy one of the 3PH carry all units for <$200, or make your own if you have scrap steel laying about.
I built my own 2 decades ago,using 2by2 angle iron and a pair of 42" forged forklift forks(dang heavy !). It also has a 2" rcvr, real handy for pulling trailers, here,there, everywhere.
While you 'could' do what you say,'minor' details like the 'connection between end of SSQA plate and 3PH balls needs to be REAL strong ! Any 'offset' weight will strain those 'connections', couple of bumps along the road...welds break, oopsy.....
Have a look at the 3ph carryalls, maybe use one a guide to make you own...it WILL be easier, faster, cheaper than ,ugh, HACKING UP your SSQA pallet forks.

Vigo

Equipment
B6100, B8200
Jan 9, 2022
San Antonio Texas
Would allow me to go out into the field with everything I need - bucket on the front and forks w/aerial work platform carryall on the back.
So it seems to me that you want to put the forks on the 3pt because you're going to end up with them (and the man platform) on the loader and do some kind of work at loader heights that the 3pt won't reach to. If that's the case, the only difference between having the bucket on the front and forks/platform on the back, and having forks/platform on the front, and bucket on the back, is how comfortable it is to traverse to the work area with the big stuff on the front vs the back. Once you are there and the tractor is stationary, forks end up on the front at least some of the time.

So the comments about buying a separate carryall don't address this because a carryall doesn't replace a man basket on forks on the loader at 8' of height! You need the forks and the basket, and would prefer to travel with them on the rear, where the forks/manbasket does do a good imitation of a carryall and is just less annoying to drive around with on the 3pt vs having on the FEL all the time. So no carryall.

Dedicated 3pt forks wouldn't get a man basket up to 8' or whatever, so dedicated 3pt forks are out.

So considering all that, i think i understand your reasoning for adapting the SSQA forks to the 3pt, and i definitely understand not wanting to buy a whole nother attachment to do it. But, i would modify your bracket placement because the unsupported span of the 1" rod would actually leave it somewhat weak, i suspect. If you wanted to strengthen the 1" rod idea, I would skip the brackets coming off the vertical square tube and instead weld some on the inner edges of the SSQA plates/pockets.

1667856517224.png

This would reduce the unsupported span of 1" bar by about half, and reduce the distance of the hooks to the nearest rod bracket, down to probably ~3". Would also let you get by with two shorter, lighter bars if that matters. Might make stowage simpler when the rod is not on the implement. They might fit in a toolbox on the tractor, for example. Or drill two 1" holes in the top rail of the fork carriage and just stick them in there hanging down whenever it's on the loader.
1667857180090.png

Last edited:

Equipment
Dec 1, 2020
Bloomington, IN
Vigo - thanks for the comments and suggestions! You're correct - I just want to be able to leave the barn with everything I need for whatever project. While there are times that it's just forks, or just forks with platform or just bucket. Seems like there are times when I need the whole works - this will allow me to get it all to the worksite in one trip - I can drop and configure accordingly on site without multiple trips to grab another attachment. I'll see what can be done to reduce the span of the lower rail between support tabs and I like the self-storing idea for the bottom rail.

Chanceywd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501DT BH77 VIRNIG URG60-CT 1950 8N
Mar 26, 2021
central ny
Instead of altering the forks, which I personally think is a very bad idea for safety reasons.
I would just get a three point adapter or make one.

I think this is the better approach and would allow the OP to bring back either front attachment on the front or back without switching. For me it could be maybe a sudden rain shower so I want to get back to the garage. I was thinking of something like this my self. It would also let me use the forks or grapple on the back of my 8N as I have the rear hydraulics there too. I could carry fire wood logs or palletized as I do now with my 8N's homemade forks only better. The item you point out NIW is really reasonably priced.

Bill

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
Apr 2, 2019
Had a look at that yitamotor adapter and at $500 it's a pretty good deal,especially if you value your time ! Even if you get steel for free, 'bodging' what you have will take a lot of time( 1st version you make won't work..Mr Murphy says so...).
The adapter looks well designed and made, would be a lifetime investment. Whatever you do, buy a toplink and BOLT it to the 'adapter'. Only need to adjust it once and always there.... All my 3pt implements have their own BOLTED toplinks.

OK, just went to their website and have yet another option...
Buy their 3ph trailer adapter ( $79) , https://www.amazon.com/YITAMOTOR-Trailer-Receiver-Category-Tractor/dp/B09X2KLPJ6?ref_=ast_sto_dp
and
their SSQA mtg plates ($100), https://www.amazon.com/YITAMOTOR-Un...pter-Attachment/dp/B0BJCZWVK2?ref_=ast_sto_dp

Weld the 3 pieces together and save over $240 !!!!

Last edited:

Chanceywd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 26, 2021
central ny
Had a look at that yitamotor adapter and at $500 it's a pretty good deal,especially if you value your time ! Even if you get steel for free, 'bodging' what you have will take a lot of time( 1st version you make won't work..Mr Murphy says so...).
The adapter looks well designed and made, would be a lifetime investment. Whatever you do, buy a toplink and BOLT it to the 'adapter'. Only need to adjust it once and always there.... All my 3pt implements have their own BOLTED toplinks.

OK, just went to their website and have yet another option...
Buy their 3ph trailer adapter ( $79) , https://www.amazon.com/YITAMOTOR-Trailer-Receiver-Category-Tractor/dp/B09X2KLPJ6?ref_=ast_sto_dp
and
their SSQA mtg plates ($100), https://www.amazon.com/YITAMOTOR-Un...pter-Attachment/dp/B0BJCZWVK2?ref_=ast_sto_dp

Weld the 3 pieces together and save over $240 !!!!
I was looking at the $81 parts. I all ready have a trailer adapter I figured I could add it to that.
But that amazon one is a great idea of how to make.

Bill

Vigo

Equipment
B6100, B8200
Jan 9, 2022
San Antonio Texas
So there is a problem with just welding some SSQA plates to a 3pt frame like that. If you look closely they are running the ssqa adapters swapped left for right vs what they typically are on the end of loader arms. They are not the exact same pieces but you can see in their shape that they are essentially swapped side to side.

See this pic from the ssqa adapter plate ad vs the one from the 3pt to ssqa ad:
1668190207584.png

VS
1668190242856.png

They are not the exact same ssqa adapters. The distance from the pin to the outer edge of the top rail is different. That is what makes the SSQA adapters 'center' within the attachment plate. You could run the $80 adapter plates 'swapped' side to side so that the side of the adapter with flat plate to weld to was on the inside instead of the outside, but you would also have to add material to the outer edge of the top rail area to make the adapters 'center' in the attachment properly and not bang side to side against your locking pins.
1668190982336.png
1668191092802.png

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
Apr 2, 2019
curiously...
most SSQA plates have 4 holes or slots in them,outers are 33.5" ?
Your diagram shows the outer right slot, but there's also usually inner ones.
given CAT1 is 26", add a bit of 'width' and the pins probably fit the inner pair of slots.
I'd have to see the units or at least some drawings with good dimensions.
I know the overall outer width is 45", height is 16",top bar, 45*, btm, 60*.
Found this diagram...so it'll fit....

Attachments

Vigo

Equipment
B6100, B8200
Jan 9, 2022
San Antonio Texas
Yes, i have windered if it wasnt possible to hook quick hitch hooks through those inner pin holes. I dont have an ssqa plate here to try it.

From what i know those inner holes have to do with a fairly rare bobcat-specific mini skid steer which runs a narrower version of the ‘regular’ ssqa, vs the much smaller style of ssqa on most other ‘mini skids’ which is roughly 9” tall and 24” wide or so. I think those inner holes go unused 99.784% of the time.

Chanceywd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 26, 2021
central ny
I was looking at the $81 parts. I all ready have a trailer adapter I figured I could add it to that.
But that amazon one is a great idea of how to make.

Bill
OK, I couldn't resist, I ordered a set of those $81 pieces that NIW posted.
I figure working with my top and tilt and forks on the back of the Kubota I could have the grapple on front carry twice the firewood logs out of the woods each trip.

Bill

Reactions: 1 user

Equipment
Dec 1, 2020
Bloomington, IN
Mod is complete - just came back from the fabricator shop. I ended up sticking with the original design. Primary use of forks on rear will be hold fork-mounted carry-all (loaded up Titan Arial Work Platform). Given the design, I won't be stress-testing 3PH load capacity, but they'll do what I need them to do when on the back.

No problems with normal fork use on the FEL. Here are a few photos

Attachments

Reactions: 3 users

Smokeydog

Equipment
M59, B26 grapples, backhoes, tillers, graders, diesel atv
Jun 2, 2020
knoxville, Tennessee
Mod is complete - just came back from the fabricator shop. I ended up sticking with the original design. Primary use of forks on rear will be hold fork-mounted carry-all (loaded up Titan Arial Work Platform). Given the design, I won't be stress-testing 3PH load capacity, but they'll do what I need them to do when on the back.

Good job. Sometimes you don’t know till you try. Works for you is what is important. Often thought about doing something similar.

woodman55

Equipment
L6060HSTC, RTV 1100
May 15, 2022
canada

Looks good. A hyd top link would make it even better.

Equipment
Dec 1, 2020
Bloomington, IN
Agreed - wouldn't have to jump off and on to change attachments. I don't think that I'll find a hyd. toplink in my Christmas stocking this year. - maybe next year along with a grapple.

Reactions: 1 user

Vigo

Equipment
B6100, B8200
Jan 9, 2022
San Antonio Texas
Cool. Have you loaded it up yet? I would get some shaft collars and weld them to the holes in that middle bracket (torch? plasma?) so it doesnt put nasty marks in your round bar and make it not want to slide out the end when you try to remove it. 👍