Actual BX 24 Operating Weight?

jdr1014

Jun 6, 2010
Orrington,Maine,USA
Hello....

First post here. I'm buying a very slightly used BX24 this week and am really looking forward to it.

I do want to pick up a trailer but not any larger than I need.

So, my question is what is the actual operating weight of the BX24 with loader and backhoe installed? I can't seem to find that info anywhere so far. The Kubota specs say 1500+ pounds for the BX 24/25 but I'm sure that doesn't include the loader and backhoe - am thinking those will add 1200 - 1500 pounds.

Thanks!

pat331

Equipment
L35, mower, bushhog, cement mixer, grader, boxblade, forks, posthole digger
Mar 31, 2009
Ft. Worth, TX
jdr, I do not know how much weight your equipment weighs. My advice is to get the largest and longest trailer you can afford. You'll find you will use the trailer for all other things besides hauling your Kubota. My trailer is capable of hauling a lot more than my Kubota and I've used it for hauling anything from gravel to logs to scrap iron to household furnishings. Also remember a tractor with FEL and BH is a good bit longer than a tractor by itself. good luck!

jdr1014

Jun 6, 2010
Orrington,Maine,USA
Thanks for your response and advice, Pat. What you say makes good sense. I've already got 5 other secilized trailers for "toys" including one enclosed. None really suitable for the Kubota so guess I'll add another LOL.

I picked up the "new" BX24 tonight and can tell I'm going to love it. Rented a trailer for $50, so cheap enough to get it home. I've got lots of projects planned at camp, etc. though, so I'm going to want my own trailer.

As far as my original question and for anyone else who's interested in the weight of a BX24/25, got the answer at the local dealer - 2700 pounds is the assembled shipping weight with fluids but not much fuel. Ovbviously not with ballasted tires, etc.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Keep in mind when you go to look at trailers that a 7000 lb rated trailer won't really haul that much weight. You have to factor in the weight of the trailer as well. A 16 ft double axle normally will weigh 2000 to 2500 lbs empty. Another words your BX would put it at above 2/3 capacity. I recomend Going with 5200lb axles. They are worth the extra money.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
He would be fine with a 7000lb trailer for his BX24. The only problem he would have is if the trailer is fully loaded at 7k plus 2000lb trailer, makes it 9000lbs for towing. I have a 7k trailer and have hit that mark and over loaded it on more then one ocassion. The biggest load to date was a 97 Chevy Surburban stuffed on the trailer and it took it all day long. A 6x16 tandem axle with two 3500lbs axles will be more then enough trailer for a BX24

jdr1014

Jun 6, 2010
Orrington,Maine,USA
Thanks for the comments, everyone....

Also, thanks for pointing out payload vs. trailer rating. Yes, I understand GVW, GVAW, etc. and will take that all into consideration. Obviously slightly bigger than I need is much better than slightly too small - always is. Total towing weight is also a considration for me.

In looking at various trailers of the same rated capacity, I've noted some fair variation in construction - both in quality (welds, paint, etc) and size of individual members and method of tongue attachment to frame. Clearly a couple I've seen are much more ruggedly contructed than the "norm", although $200 -$300 more......and probably worth the diff. :)

Last edited:

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
To give you some sort of idea. I bought a trailer 11 years ago and I let my fingers do the walking first. I called up everybody in my area to get price ideas on trailers. I based my purchase off of price due to the fact I was 18 years old at the time and didnt have the funds to spend big dollars. I had prices from $2,500 to $3,500 for a 6x16 tandem axle trailer. I went out and looked at damn near every single trailer and kicked plenty of tires and stubbed my toe a time or 3.

My final decision was on a trailer made by a company called Carry-on trailer's. The final sale price with tax title tags the whole nine yards was only $1,500 out the door. I have been more then pleased with this trailer and if I never need another one or something bigger I would make no bones about it and purchase another Carry-on trailer brand.

The only one minor set back is the trailer has a split gate across the back which is the width of the trailer and the orgional expanded metal for the ramps was a bit weak and bent all to crap within the first 6 months. No big deal went to my local welding shop and had a heavier gage expanded steel put on. Carry-on was a new and upcoming trailer builder and were only a few years old when I purchased my trailer so I figured cut them some slack because they are in the learning curve of trailers.

http://www.carry-ontrailer.com/index.html

jdr1014

Jun 6, 2010
Orrington,Maine,USA
Thanks, Eric. "Carry On" is one of the brands I've looked at and seems to be well made .... and I've received some very good prices on them. Definately a strong contender for my consideration. Of the current trailers I've been looking at, they are certainly better than some of the others......frankly, I've looked at a few that are downright crude by comparison. I've been somewhat surprised at the variabilty in welds in some I've checked out. Two other brands that are a slight bit more (Parker Performnce and Sure Trac) have particularly beefy tongues, cross members, and tailgate/ramps and powder coat finishes.

My need isn't particularly urgent, so I'm taking plenty of time to become fully familiar with the choices and get best pricing. Also keep looking for used, but like small Kubotas around here, not much decent has appeared. Looking forward to putting the BX24 to work this weekend !!

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Just curious what kind of prices have you seen on some of the Carry-On trailers? Theres times I wish I had a smaller single axel like maybe a 5x10 along with my 6x16 and then theres plenty other times I wish I has a 8x20 deckover. Its a damn good thing I'm out of storage space because I'd probably have one of each in the driveway.

jdr1014

Jun 6, 2010
Orrington,Maine,USA
Just curious what kind of prices have you seen on some of the Carry-On trailers? Theres times I wish I had a smaller single axel like maybe a 5x10 along with my 6x16 and then theres plenty other times I wish I has a 8x20 deckover. Its a damn good thing I'm out of storage space because I'd probably have one of each in the driveway.
Eric:

5x10's around $1000 - a little less for lighter GVW models. Best price I've found for a 6x12 Carry On is $1299 Dual axle 12' - 14' about twice that, so you got a good deal even if it was 11 years ago.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
See if you have a down to earth trailer dealer in your area. If you want to check their trailers out it is www.downtoearthtrailers.com . That is the brand that I have now and it is by far the best trailer I have ever pulled or seen. They take a lot of pride in their trailers when they build them. The paint job was very impressive to me. It was as shiny under the deck as it was on top.

This is the specs on the one I have right now.

Kubota Orange Paint
11,000# rated, 83" x 20 floor with 2' dove tail, 4 wheel brakes, greasable axle hubs, new wheels and tires, treated floor, fully adjustable/removable 5' channel ramps, sealed wiring harness with 7 point plug, multi height adjustable 2 5/16 ball hitch, 14,000# jack with slide out bottom leg, expanded metal welded in the tongue for storage, LED lights, stake holes down both sides, heavy duty tread plate fenders. 3/8 safty chains

Out the door price $2800

I just priced a goose neck from them a couple of weeks ago.

10 ton rated 102" x 30' deck with 5' dove tail, fold up ramps, dual tandem axles, treated floor, LED lights, frame mounted tool box.
Priced it to me for $7100 out the door.

Every body that I have talked to from there have been good to me. If any body is interested in these trailers I have the number of one of their reps that I met at the Sunbelt Ag Expo. He was the one who gave me the good deal on the one that I have now. He said that it would have been $4500 from a normal dealer. He let me have it for dealer cost.

I highly recommend their trailers and have nothing but praise for them. By far the best pulling trailer that I have every pulled.

gktilton

Equipment
79 B7100 w/ FEL, Deere 261 Finish Mwr, Woods M4 Bush Hg, Potato Plow, Cultivator
May 5, 2010
Hooksett, NH
jdr, I do not know how much weight your equipment weighs. My advice is to get the largest and longest trailer you can afford. You'll find you will use the trailer for all other things besides hauling your Kubota. My trailer is capable of hauling a lot more than my Kubota and I've used it for hauling anything from gravel to logs to scrap iron to household furnishings. Also remember a tractor with FEL and BH is a good bit longer than a tractor by itself. good luck!
OK, throwing in my 2 cents worth. I haven't seen anyone ask what you are towing with, maybe they have and I didn't see it. I tow a 7,000lb camper and make sure my tow vehicles are rated at 9,000lbs. And no I don't care how much HP or Torque it has, I want to make sure the size of the tow vehicle can stop the load and handle sway and cornering. Get a trailer that can handle what you plan to put in it, make sure you know total amount of weight your hauling, how much the trailer can hold, and how much your vehicle can tow.

jdr1014

Jun 6, 2010
Orrington,Maine,USA
That's a nice looking trailer line, Bulldog. I don't think there are any dealers around her but I've sent an inquiry to the company.

As far as my tow vehicle, it's a Honda Ridgeline. Just shy of a fullsize 4x4 truck, but it's got plenty of power and stability (and great brakes) to tow 5000 or more lbs. I think the AWD and fully independent suspension help. I rented a heavy trailer to go get my BX24 and no problem. I regularly tow my 19ft boat w/V8 sterndrive @ about 5000lb and it's no sweat. For yers I've towed bike trailers, 2 and 4 place snowmobile trailers , etc. frequently year round so trailering is not new to me by any means........tractors are though! :)

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Yes it's my truck and trailer..... NO I will not help you move!!!!

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
That's a nice looking trailer line, Bulldog. I don't think there are any dealers around her but I've sent an inquiry to the company. :)
I'm on my second year of use with mine now and the only complaint I have is I wish it was a 30' gooseneck.

By far the best looking trailer I ever came across so far and I am very picky when it comes to things like that. I hate poor looking welds and bad paint jobs on a trailer. All the D2E trailers that I have looked at so far have pleased me in both areas.

My last trailer I bought I ended up taken the floor out of it and adding extra metal to brace it up in the corners and even put more cross members under it. I had to rewire it and I don't even want to get into the paint job. I learned a lot about trailers by owning this one and I hope that I never go thru this mess again.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
I was looking up Cam Superline trailers on the net and they offer Kubota orange as a standard paint color. Thought that was pretty cool.

Bx24plum

Equipment
Bx24
Sep 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, PA
I know this is an old question but since I found this info I thought I would share it.
Tractor 1542
Backhoe 628
Backhoe bucket 40
Loader 375
Loader bucket 132
Total 2677

Just bought my first, a BX24 and working on getting it shipped.

Bx24plum

Equipment
Bx24
Sep 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, PA
I know this is an old question but since I found this info I thought I would share it.
Tractor 1542
Backhoe 628
Backhoe bucket 40
Loader 375
Loader bucket 132
Total 2677

Just bought my first, a BX24 and working on getting it shipped.