98 B7300 coolant at 130 degrees

spiceman22

Equipment
1997 B-7300 , L-3560 TLB-Cab
Feb 18, 2013
West Bath,Maine ,USA
It all started when I changed the front crank seal. So while I was there decided to change the coolant and thermostat,very clean flushed the radiator, new hoses , coolant etc, put every thing back together ran it down the road came back checked for leaks no leaks but bottom hose was cold and top was warm , thought maybe air bubble, water pump took thermostat out crank the engine coolant gushed out so water pump is working put ever thing back together took wife's meat thermo and put it in the top of radiator and only registers 130 tops plus i noticed vent tube on top of the motor blowing steam out of it . Im puzzled any help would be appreciated .

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Are you sure that is steam? or blow by?

DO you have an infared therometer? If so - shoot multiple points and then report back what you are finding.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Take the thermostat out and put it into a pan (not one your wife values highly) of water and heat it to 130 and see if the thermostat opens at that temperature. (Use your new candy thermometer or something fairly accurate (meat thermometer is fairly point specific). If it opens that is the reason your tractor is running at 130. If it does not open then turn the heat up and see where it does open.

Do you have any clue what the thermostat set temperature is supposed to be?

spiceman22

Equipment
Feb 18, 2013
West Bath,Maine ,USA
Take the thermostat out and put it into a pan (not one your wife values highly) of water and heat it to 130 and see if the thermostat opens at that temperature. (Use your new candy thermometer or something fairly accurate (meat thermometer is fairly point specific). If it opens that is the reason your tractor is running at 130. If it does not open then turn the heat up and see where it does open.

Do you have any clue what the thermostat set temperature is supposed to be?
I tried that Russell ,it started to open at 160 and fully opened 180 . I'm going to buy a infared gun tomm and new cap and try that .I have no coolant in the oil ,since the thermostat isn't opening i have no circulation in the radiator. I'm missing something simple I filled the block threw the thermostat opening then radiator trying to limit air ?? some reason it's not getting hot enough to open it

JerryMT

Equipment
Kubota M4500, NH TD95D,Ford 4610
Jun 17, 2017
The Palouse - North Idaho
It all started when I changed the front crank seal. So while I was there decided to change the coolant and thermostat,very clean flushed the radiator, new hoses , coolant etc, put every thing back together ran it down the road came back checked for leaks no leaks but bottom hose was cold and top was warm , thought maybe air bubble, water pump took thermostat out crank the engine coolant gushed out so water pump is working put ever thing back together took wife's meat thermo and put it in the top of radiator and only registers 130 tops plus I noticed vent tube on top of the motor blowing steam out of it . Im puzzled any help would be appreciated .
Unlike a spark ignition engine, the compression ignition engine runs with variable peak cylinder temperatures. So you don't warm it up without really working it. Idling won't do it very well because the peak temperatures are a minimum. I don't know how far you ran it but just driving it around under little to no load won't warm it up quickly. A better test would be to hook up an implement and put it to work. The bottom radiator hose should always be cooler than the top if the radiator is doing its job.

Reactions: 1 users

spiceman22

Equipment
Feb 18, 2013
West Bath,Maine ,USA
Are you sure that is steam? or blow by?

DO you have an infared therometer? If so - shoot multiple points and then report back what you are finding.
this is what i found out
Lower rad hose to radiator- 98deg
Lower hose to water pump-106deg
upper hose to radiator-98deg
upper hose to therostat-116deg

front of water pump-136deg
back of pump -137deg

little hose from w/pump to thermo housing--124

radiator four corners : top left -79 deg,, top right 113 deg ,, bottom left 58 deg ,,bottom Rt 81 deg
drivers side block; left 142 deg , middle 149 deg , right 157 deg
drivers side head; left 139deg, middle 152deg , right 152deg
also bought a new cap but still not building pressure, there is little bit but you can take the cap off with no spillage of anti freeze

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
By those numbers ..........

here is what I am thinking .............. run the hell out of it and then do it all over again!
Those heads are not even getting hot!

JerryMT mentioned what to do ........ try that and repeat all specs and report back.

In all honesty ........ the top of the radiator should be a number close or slightly over 200 F !!! and then the bottom of the radiator should be about 60-100 F cooler!

Reactions: 1 user