'94 B7100 and block heater

bmblank

Equipment
2020 L3901HST, LA525 Loader, 66" Q/A Bucket, PFL2042 Forks, Meteor SB68PT Blower
Mar 4, 2015
Cadillac, MI
Afternoon all, I have a little bit of a rant and then a question I've been trying to answer for the last couple months.

If you want to skip the rant, by all means, just go to the last bit.

First off, I've been trying to find a block heater for my B7100 since I just got a new to me snow blower and I'm planning on using it as my primary snow removal device. So I've been looking around on the internet trying to find out what I need and haven't been able to find any definitive answers. I finally decided I'd call up the kubota dealer and see what they say. Now, I live about an hour away from the dealer and I work about an hour away from home with about 20 minutes in between work and dealer. I called them one day and after a some work finally came up with a part number that should work in my tractor. Since I want a freeze plug heater I know that I'm going to need something that presses in. I specifically asked over the phone, "Is this a press in fitting?" answer being, "Yes," and I reiterated, not thread in, and was reassured it would press in. So finally one day after work I made the trek to the dealer to pick up the heater they had in stock. Open the box, threaded heater. I say, "This isn't going to work, I don't have any threaded fittings." Long story short, nobody there could tell me what heater I need and/or what threaded adapter would work, besides telling me I have two choices, a magnetic heater or a lower radiator hose heater. I left empty handed and not terribly happy with the dealer. If the guy (who made it sound like he had the part there on his desk) would have just said, "No, it's a threaded heater," then I could have saved an hour of my friday, but to flat out lie like that pisses me off. I don't mind that they don't have the right part or don't know what part it really needs, just tell me that.
Anyway,

So here's my question. Does anybody have any definitive answers on what block heater or block heater/freeze plug adapter combo I need to heat my B7100 with D750-AH engine? I've found a bunch of yes/no's and people debating whether a block heater is really needed... Couldn't find an answer I would bet on. All I know is that Kubota P/N 70000-73274 is what I was told by the dealer and it looked like a ~1" threaded fitting, which wouldn't work for me (at least not without a freeze plug adapter).

kubotasam

Equipment
B2410, B7100dt, B7500,Woods BH750,Landpride 2660RFM, Tiller, B2781 Snowblower
Apr 26, 2010
Alfred Maine
So here's my question. Does anybody have any definitive answers on what block heater or block heater/freeze plug adapter combo I need to heat my B7100 with D750-AH engine? I've found a bunch of yes/no's and people debating whether a block heater is really needed... Couldn't find an answer I would bet on. All I know is that Kubota P/N 70000-73274 is what I was told by the dealer and it looked like a ~1" threaded fitting, which wouldn't work for me (at least not without a freeze plug adapter).
I can't help with the core plug type of heater for a B7100. What I will say is I have the lower radiator hose heaters on 2 of my 3 B7100s and they work great. The tractor that I keep my backhoe installed on the battery is probably 12 years old. It starts the tractor fine in the summer but the engine just barely turns if it is below 30 degrees. I don't use this tractor much so that condition is not much of a problem. If I do need it in the winter I just plug in the heater. In 30 -40 minutes it will start just like summer. So I guess what I am saying is the radiator hose heaters do work fine.

Orange Turbo

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX5100, pto13000kw, Loader, Ripper,Plow,Disc,Mower,Forks,3pt spreader,Box Blade.
Feb 2, 2015
Mo
Not sure on your motor, but I think the confusion is: The heater itself is (male) threaded,,,,, the PRESS-IN part is (female)threaded,,, So try the Kubota "KIT",,, there about $75.00 and come with both parts. that way all you will have to do is pull a freeze/core plug than press/tap the fixture in the block and than SCERW the heater in the fixture, The heater he got for you was likely the correct one, but with out the fixture.(try asking for the kit). 2-pieces.

And yes, the heater makes it a lot easer and better on the motor.. cold starts are harder on the motor. I wont have a motor without one.

Last edited:

Diydave

Equipment
L2202 tractor, L185f tractor
Oct 31, 2013
Gambrills, MD USA
I have about 5 little diesels, that I use one of these on: http://www.ebay.com/itm/COLEMAN-CAT...098?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4636d8e252

It runs on coleman camping fuel, works when the power is out, and you don't have to do any plumbing. Light it, wait till the flame dies down to a glow, close the lid, and just slide it under the oil pan. It generally produces just enough heat to bring the block up to about 150 degrees, in about 2-3 hrs.

If your tractor is too close to the ground, for it to fit under, just park it on suitable blocking. Mine cost about $35, but it is in better shape, than the one in the ad...:D

ShaunBlake

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B6100D; B219; Piranha bar; Hodge stabilizers; Filled Ag rears; R322T w/48" deck
Dec 21, 2014
Sugar Hill -- next door to Buford, GA
I got two of those thing just taking up space!!!!
Well, since I'm just takin up space, I wuz gonna suggest 'storin' 'em down here. BUT!!! "It's a MIRACLE!" I had a second thought!

My second thought wuz my first thought wuz purdy stoopit. I'd be embarrassed except how can yuh be embarrassed when a miracle happens! :D

Stubbyie

Jul 1, 2010
Midcontinent
Good tip on using the Coleman heater. Thanks.

Using the catalytic heater under the tractor's oil pan reminds me of an old Agco White brand machine with a Fiat-Allis diesel engine that used to roam the place.

It had an open flame diesel-fired heater for cold weather starts.

After my eyebrows grew back that particular machine became a summer-only unit.

bmblank

Equipment
2020 L3901HST, LA525 Loader, 66" Q/A Bucket, PFL2042 Forks, Meteor SB68PT Blower
Mar 4, 2015
Cadillac, MI
Awesome Wolfman, you're a savior. Is that adapter 25mm or something? I have to imagine freeze plugs come in fairly standard sizes, and if I recall correctly 25 was one of the options on my engine.

Diydave

Equipment
L2202 tractor, L185f tractor
Oct 31, 2013
Gambrills, MD USA
Good tip on using the Coleman heater. Thanks.

Using the catalytic heater under the tractor's oil pan reminds me of an old Agco White brand machine with a Fiat-Allis diesel engine that used to roam the place.

It had an open flame diesel-fired heater for cold weather starts.

After my eyebrows grew back that particular machine became a summer-only unit.
We also used to use a perfection 500 kerosene heater, for the old D series Allis's we had on the farm. Just the right height for the oil pan...:D

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Awesome Wolfman, you're a savior. Is that adapter 25mm or something? I have to imagine freeze plugs come in fairly standard sizes, and if I recall correctly 25 was one of the options on my engine.
I don't have one hanging around that's out to measure, but 25mm sounds right.
I do know that model works on a lot of the Kubota engines. ;)