82 L235 4x4 need help

Patrickzl1

Equipment
1982 L235 4x4
Aug 5, 2009
Rhineland,MO
Hello to all. I have read and searched this forum quite a bit and really appreciate the input here. Within the last year I have switched from working on cars in St. Louis, MO. to working on tractors and farm equipment where I now reside in rural MO. I have a few questions I have not found answers to and could really use some help.
82 L235 4x4
This tractor has a loader and a 3ph. The hydraulics seem to have progressively slow down over the last 6 months or so. Higher and higher RPMs are required to move them to the point sometimes I cannot lift a bucket of gravel. I do know the fluid was changed and was done with fluid from tractor supply. The fluid is clean but I am still contemplating changing it.
Also, I have no 4 wheel drive when actuated. When I move the lever it feels right but no 4x4.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated. I am sure I will be looking for more help when they run out of 8Ns for me to work on.

Thank you.

Patrickzl1

Equipment
1982 L235 4x4
Aug 5, 2009
Rhineland,MO
Update:

4X4 is fixed. The splines on the front of the propeller shaft coupler were completely gone on the pinion side. Cheap fix.

I am still having pump pressure issues after installing UDT. Can someone please tell me if there is a screen on this tractor I can check??

Patrickzl1

Equipment
1982 L235 4x4
Aug 5, 2009
Rhineland,MO
Thank you very much for responding Vic. I really appreciate it. When I was searching this site I found where you shared the same information with an owner of a 85 L235. Unfortunately this tractor does not have anything on the left side of the transmission. There is a machined surface on the left that matches the shape of where the suction line connects on the right side.
Is it possible that I need to remove the suction line to access the screen?

Again, thank you very much Vic.

ipz2222

Equipment
L235, bx2670
May 30, 2009
chickamauga ga usa
Patrick, I've removed the suction line on the right side and found no screen on my L235. If it's got one , I can't find it.

Patrickzl1

Equipment
1982 L235 4x4
Aug 5, 2009
Rhineland,MO
Thank you very much for replying. I did the same thing myself this afternoon and found nothing.
However, I did replace the filter as well that the owner says is new and found a piece of red plastic and some metal shavings that totally has me scratching my head?? Not good.

Thanks again for your input.

Captjack

Jun 30, 2009
Centreville,Md
Well I cant find this screen on my tractor either

- I just changed the filter and filled her back up with wally world UDT

Seems to be working fine but if it has a screen i would like to clean it.,

my fluid looked like sewage when it cam out - so for 45 bucks im going to change it again before winter gets here

lreops

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3400DT W/ LA463 FEL and L235DT W/ BF400 Loader
Dec 26, 2011
Rising Sun, Maryland
I just acquired a L235 with a BF400 FEL. It is need of a little TLC of little odds and ends here and there, but basically, it is what, appears to be sound both mechanically and hydraulically wise. Except for the fact that I think I may have some kind of problem with the 4WD. With the soggy ground we have here in the East, plus turf tires on my tractor, traction can be tricky. My first attempt left me at the bottom of a relatively small slope at the bottom of my yard. Seemed like no help from the front axle at all. Jacked the tractor in the air and tried the 4WD to see what was going on. Engaged the front axle several times and seemed to be working as it should. Went back out, and again, it seemed like there was nothing happening different with going in and out of the 4WD mode.

This being my first tractor, am I wrong to assume that when in 4WD drive, that any slippage should be able to occur with any of the wheels (of course with the Diff engaged). The rear wheels will slip but there is no indication at all that the front wheels have any kind of torque going to them.

Any suggestions or clues to this, or are my assumptions of this little tractor set to high?

Thanks
Ron

An update a couple of days later:

Ok, I've done some more investigating on my situation and have discovered that when jacked up and the front axle is engaged, the only time the wheels are actually in gear is when the steering has the wheels in a hard left or right forward turn. If you were to hold the left wheel in a left turn and rotate the wheel slightly, it will engage. Move it away from that position and it is no longer engaged. The same is true for the right side repeating the same process.

Obviously, there is gear chewed up or spun or something that needs to be replaced. Just need a little guidance as to what or where I need to expect it to be, keeping in mind the symptoms of only engaging when the wheels are fully to the left or right.

Thanks all

Ron