8' hoe for a L3200

barncat

Equipment
L3200HST4X4,66"detach FEL,60"BB,SplitFire30"3pt,KKII,48"Forks
Oct 23, 2012
Indian Springs, AL
Adding a hoe to my tractor is starting out harder than I thought.

I just came home with a L3200 with FEL and I'm looking for a backhoe with subframe. My tractor does not have a remote hydraulic box either. I called a woods dealer and they quoted me $7,892 + tax + I have to find the remote box and pay for that installation too (not quoted). A mechanical thumb is $650, hydraulic thumb $1,650 + tax.

The Kubota BH77 was quoted at $7,797 but the thumb is not available in hydraulic, I haven't received a mechanical thumb quote yet. The remote hydraulic box is $923 installed, a dual box is $1,242...After reading several threads on remote boxes I need to have a clear understanding of the box mounting preferences on my equipment as well as number of preferred connections prior to doing anything.

I hope there are some tractor hoe users out there with a preference and some advice on this issue.:cool:

Last edited:

MagKarl

Equipment
L245DT
Aug 2, 2010
Olympia, WA
That is a pretty substantial investment. Have you considered buying a real backhoe instead of an attachment for your tractor? Around here you could get a Case/JD/Ford fullsize BH for that kind of money. Obviously not a new one, but much more capable in every way other than sheer size if you plan to work in small areas.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Full size backhoes doe have their pro's and con's about them. Not to mention he'd need a large single axle truck and a 10 ton trailer to haul a big one on.

barncat

Equipment
Oct 23, 2012
Indian Springs, AL
So, are there some HB77 owners who can confirm their love of that hoe or some 80X owners who can testify to the worthy difference between them?

One of the major issues I see with the HB77 is that it only fits a few tractors. In comparison the 80X is produced to fit many brands and many models. This tells me that there are a lot more 80x's than 77's in use...am I wrong?

gpreuss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200DT w/FEL, K650 Backhoe, 5' Rotary, 40" Howard Rotavator, 6' Rhino blade
Oct 9, 2011
Spokane, WA
In the photos attached you can see what I got for $500 from the dealer. The two quick disconnects and hose. Another photo shows the hydraulic block that feeds the FEL control. The two hoses that have cloth jackets are the ones going back to the rear quick disconnects. One of them comes from the OUT side of the FEL valve, the other ties back to the manifold block. Most likely the drain line.
So $500 bought me a long piece of hydraulic hose and a couple of fittings. I'm hoping others have done much better.
The third picture is what I have now - it cost about $200 for another couple of sets of quick disconnects, and a valve. If you need more controls, you just need bigger valve blocks. I can still plug my backhoe hydraulics in series with the valve.
As for the backhoe, I'm using the one Kubota sold with the L185, 35 years ago. It is a 3 point hitch mount, that I have had to alter to make it work. It has a 7-1/2' reach, digs a 6' deep trench. Over the years I've dug about 1200' of trench, planted 40 trees, dug out a dozen or so sizeable tree trunks, and dug up probably 30 500+ lb rocks. Since I didn't do it all at once, it would have been a dozen or more rentals. I like having it around, when I need it.
The subframe mount would be a lot beefier, and I suspect easier to attach to. The more reach you get, the more you will like the hoe.
Pictures are in one of my threads in Fabrication - I think it is K650 Restore.

Attachments

Last edited:

beckmurph

Equipment
Kubota LX2610TLB/Woods finish mower/woods rotary cutter/
Aug 23, 2012
catlettsburg, ky
If you pick the BH77 from Kubota, the subframe will be an exact fit for your
L3200. It will have the reveresable seat. All you have to do to use the seat for the backhoe, is pull a handle and flip the seat around. There is a great deal of room on the bh77 platform. I am 6' tall, and with the seat slid all the way forward, I have more than enough room. This backhoe is smooth operating.
My bh77 was $7130. The thumb was $465. Purchased this past Sept. I maybe wrong, but I think that everything should be included for installing the backhoe. I went out and looked at my B3200, and there is one hydraulic line coming out of a block on the right rear side of the tractor that feeds the backhoe. Then there is a line that runs to the front of the tractor that is the return line.
Woods makes good equipment. I have a rotary cutter, finish mower, and rear blade made by Woods.
There have been several members on another tractor forum that have done their own installation of backhoes.
Which ever you choose, good look, and enjoy your new L3200.:)

barncat

Equipment
Oct 23, 2012
Indian Springs, AL
Thank you all, that is awesome information. I found some good discussion on that sight (magkarl) and have decided that the BH77 is the only choice due to the voided warranty issue if I employ any other hoe. However, after the insights on installation from (Gpreuss) with discussion points for my installer, and the testimony from (beckmurph) on cost I am ready to go. Thank you all...great group of orange enthusiast.

davidnewsome01

Equipment
Kubota L4600 with a LA764 loader and a BH92 backhoe, ,
I have a Kubota L3800 hst with loader and Bh77 backhoe, I purchased it new when I started construction on my new business location. It now has about 400hrs on it, I can tell you without a doubt that it is worth the extra money. This backhoe may be small in size but it can handle some of the biggest jobs you can throw at it. I had to dig a trench 6 foot wide by 6 foot
deep by more than 275 feet in length. I was to meet code when putting in 3 phase 600v power to my new business location. In some places I could drive the tractor in the trench. I think it took about 60 to 70 hrs to dig it. The backhoe had no problem. It's not as fast as a much larger machine, but it gets the job done. It is very user friendly, it takes about 4-5 minutes to take it off the tractor and about 10 minutes to put it back on. I can be digging and ten minutes later be back- balding. When winter is here the snow blower goes on with no problem. You cannot do this with a full size backhoe. I would not take anything for mine. If you get one, get the Kubota BH 77. ***128515;

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
David, just so you know this is a 4 year old thread. Might help someone in the future, but the guy with the question is LONG gone.