50 hour Service

ADK4WD

Jul 21, 2016
New Hampshire
My new MX5800 is approaching the 50 hour mark (46.3 hrs) and I contacted Dealer to schedule service. Dealer said it will take a few "weeks" to schedule??
My concern is that I will have 60-70 hours on Tractor by then unless I just stop using it. Dealer said the extra hours are no problem and don't affect warranty etc... I've been tilling fields, planting, and using FEL frequently and have plenty of ongoing work/chores remaining.
>> Just wanted to check on this forum - what others think? <<

bxray

Equipment
Bx25d
Dec 1, 2014
Cleveland, ohio
Should not be a problem.
The main part is change the engine oil and filter.
You can do it yourself.
And the tranny filter.
Grease all the joints.

Ray

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Should not be a problem.
The main part is change the engine oil and filter.
You can do it yourself.
And the tranny filter.
Grease all the joints.

Ray
I agree with Ray - no need to stop in your tracks, BUT you can change the filters without a lot of hassle and like he said grease the hell out of everything while there!

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
You can do it yourself without affecting the warranty as long as you use correct fluid and filters. I've never taken any of mine in for service. To me it's a good way to get to know your tractor.

BX23S-1

May 29, 2017
No where Special
"Dealer said it will take a few "weeks" to schedule??"
1) Your working with the wrong dealer for it to take this long for something as easy as this is.
2) Doing it yourself with the use of your service manual will NOT can NOT void ANY warranty.
3) Use all OEM parts, fluids & filters, take your time, do it right, no problems occur.

Benhameen

Equipment
2012 Kubota L3800 HST W/FEL and 1963 JD 2010 row crop utility
Jan 27, 2013
Southern IL.
I did the 50hr service myself but I like maintaining my equipment myself.

I would not worry about running past the 50hr mark.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
My little BX has never been back to the dealer. All service done here.
While your MX is MUCH MORE machine, it's a great opportunity to learn more about its workings.
JMHO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ADK4WD

Jul 21, 2016
New Hampshire
Thanks for all the responses. I agree that changing some oil & filters myself makes sense - unless you know me! I could build a rocket to the Moon easier...I'm NOT mechanical at all and although I did buy a grease-gun and greased the FEL --- reminded me how much I "hate" doing even simple maintenance. I failed to mention that the Dealer will perform the 50 hr service "on site" at my Farm and that saves me hauling the tractor 20 miles to his shop (I have No trailer).
I do plan to "watch" them perform the maintenance and hope I can learn a little - something simple that I can later do myself. Clearly the majority of Tractor owners are far more mechanical that I am.

Oct 8, 2014
oregon
Do it yourself but keep the receipts. I forget the name of the law but you can't be denied warranty coverage if you can show the maintenance was done. Personally it's faster and cheaper to do it myself than haul equipment in.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
ADK, the on site service has a lot of advantages especially if you don't have a lot of tools. Getting the new filters off can be a real pain. You can learn a lot, and knowing it is done right is reassuring. I would like to do mine, but due to arthritis I can't get the lid off a jar of jam these days. When I worked full time I didnt have time. Enjoy your new tractor that's the main thing.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
You'd only have a problem if warranty were able to prove that lack of servicing caused the failure. Doubtful; as I saw MANY tractors with hundreds of hours-and had never had ANY servicing. Seen a L3901 a while back with 535 hours on it; had never been serviced. Air filter completely plugged..

The magnuson-moss act doesn't fully protect you, the consumer, either. It's real vague in some areas; and I guarantee you (from experience) that a lawyer is going to find a way around the vagueness.

I had several customers-when I worked at the dealer-that would stop the tractor in the middle of a field at 50.0 hours, call our driver to come pick the unit up, bring it in for servicing, and then he'd take it back. If it went 50.1 hours before he could get there with the shop truck, the world would come to an end. I thought it was funny; but to someone with OCD, it's a terrible thing. I mean it was bad enough that at 49.9 hours, they were reaching for the key and waiting for the 50.0 to turn on the hourmeter; and it was at that point that we'd get the call.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Hey, Lugbolt, there are some folks like that on this forum, I'm sure. You can tell by their questions and the answer they give to those questions!! :D:D

I have a friend like that. He's always wanting to do something different, go machine a part, draw it out with a CAD program....

I tell him we're not building a space ship, and he needs to find something else to worry about. But that doesn't last too long!

captmikem

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2660 MX 4800 and a bunch of attachments.
Mar 16, 2017
SW Washington State.
Make sure you check the torque on the wheels even if you are going to have the dealer service it. On my MX4800 I went to check mine at the 50 hour mark and all of the front ones were loose, causing the holes to oval out. New ones on order. Also, the new hyd filter comes with the magnet already in it. you do not have to pull and clean the magnet.

M

Repair

Equipment
2017 L2501 - 2020 L2501
Apr 17, 2017
Lebanon, TN
At Cummins we will sometimes ask for service records when there is a failure, as long as you can show that you bought the materials to do the services when they were due you won't have any problems with warranty coverage.

tor

Jun 25, 2009
SC
Your are supposed to also change the transmission filter and hydr. filter at 50 hours, without changing the hyd/trans. oil.

This can be a little tricky because you might loose a little fluid while you swap the filters. Leaning the tractor a little on a slope with the filter side high helps some. I have been known to use a shopvac hose stuck in the hyd. filler hole to keep the oil loss to a minimum, This helps too.