4WD not working

Ang16volley

Equipment
Kubota L3000DT
Nov 28, 2021
Louisville
We just purchased a kubota L3000DT this weekend… we quickly discovered that we were bamboozled and the 4WD is not working.
We have removed the PTO shaft and purchased new couplings to replace them as they are clearly worn. After further inspection we also discovered that several teeth are missing from the small gear in the housing that holds the 4WD engagement.

I have included photos and need your thoughts on how to access and replace the small gear… also is that effecting our 4wd issue or is that just going to effect PTO engagement…
6D8FB1D0-EF74-4570-95B0-D44E5F20EACD.jpeg
C102E972-CA15-4516-B274-418E81CFB745.jpeg

Reactions: 1 user

rbargeron

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L5450, L48, L3250, L345 never enough attachments
Jul 6, 2015
western ma
To replace gears inside the transmission case the machine has to be split. The WSM covering the L3000 describes the procedure. Not a small job - but seeing what you've done so far I'm sure you could handle it. The tractor's severely damaged condition should definitely have been disclosed by the seller.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

Ang16volley

Equipment
Kubota L3000DT
Nov 28, 2021
Louisville
To replace gears inside the transmission case the machine has to be split. The WSM covering the L3000 describes the procedure. Not a small job - but seeing what you've done so far I'm sure you could handle it. The tractor's severely damaged condition should definitely have been disclosed by the seller.
Thank you. Now to get my hands on the WSM! 😡
We spent extra and drove further to get a work horse ready to go so we wouldn’t be constantly messing with it. Purely devastating!!!

rbargeron

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 6, 2015
western ma
You'll notice my post #3 has been shortened to just saying to replace transmission gears the machine has to come apart.

It would help if you could describe the symptoms more - what the front wheel drive did or didn't do, causing you to take out the front propeller shaft and its drive case.

It's important to distinguish between front wheel drive and power take off systems which are separate functions. To make it even more confusing, the gearing that drives the front wheels starts up high in the trans, some of its gears rotating on other shafts as the power moves down to the bottom to be sent forward. One of the intermediate shafts is actually part of the power takeoff system. The fwd gear rides on it but isn't keyed. The attachment below is for an L355 but the L3000DT is very similar. Note the large drive gear only meshes with one side of the 2-row gear.

The reason for all this extra discussion is I'm wondering if your gear with broken teeth may in fact be part of the pto, and not the fwd. Have you tried connecting anything to the rear pto shaft? Can it be engaged? Run smoothly?

Maybe your L3000DT has 2 problem areas, the fwd and the pto? If you don't need pto function right away it might be possible to fix the fwd and put off splitting for the pto ?

L355 front wheel drive gears.jpg

Last edited:

Ang16volley

Equipment
Kubota L3000DT
Nov 28, 2021
Louisville
You'll notice my post #3 has been shortened to just saying to replace transmission gears the machine has to come apart.

It would help if you could describe the symptoms more - what the front wheel drive did or didn't do, causing you to take out the front propeller shaft and its drive case.

It's important to distinguish between front wheel drive and power take off systems which are separate functions. To make it even more confusing, the gearing that drives the front wheels starts up high in the trans, some of its gears rotating on other shafts as the power moves down to the bottom to be sent forward. One of the intermediate shafts is actually part of the power takeoff system, but just supporting the fwd gear on bearings. Attachment is for an earlier model with similar fwd.

The reason for all this extra discussion is I'm wondering if your gear with broken teeth may in fact be part of the pto, and not the fwd. Have you tried connecting anything to the rear pto shaft? Can it be engaged? Run smoothly?
We are getting ready to put it back together shortly with new couplers, we have to put it back together to move it out of the field to split it to access the gears (bucket is down holding tractor up) understand what you are saying about the PTO- however the gears will spin free right now whether or not the PTO is engaged… leading us to believe the small gear with broken teeth is connected to the large gear (19-34 gear) and we assume this is driving the fwd.

further symptoms- when running and engaging fwd we can see fwd shaft spinning until back tires can not longer grip then shaft stops… which led us to believe the couplers were the Initial problem. After further inspection we found broken teeth housing that engaged FWD.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
We are getting ready to put it back together shortly with new couplers, we have to put it back together to move it out of the field to split it to access the gears (bucket is down holding tractor up) understand what you are saying about the PTO- however the gears will spin free right now whether or not the PTO is engaged… leading us to believe the small gear with broken teeth is connected to the large gear (19-34 gear) and we assume this is driving the fwd.

further symptoms- when running and engaging fwd we can see fwd shaft spinning until back tires can not longer grip then shaft stops… which led us to believe the couplers were the Initial problem. After further inspection we found broken teeth housing that engaged FWD.
I am not familiar with that machine but looking at the parts diagram it appears the FWD is pretty simple. Looks like the front driveshaft is driven off the front underside of the transmission via a sliding gear mounted on the output shaft. The gear is located inside that housing and acts as a shifter engaging one of the transmission gears in one position and disengaging when slid the other direction. I think you are in the immediate vicinity of your problem. Not clear why any further split is needed to replace that gear.

Dan

rbargeron

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 6, 2015
western ma
The parts page below shows the "drive case" on the bottom of the L300DT - which is where the fwd shifting happens. The gear slides forward and back engaging and disengaging. Looking at the attachment in post #5 above, the construction is very similar (on several Kubota models).

The OP's picture of the damaged two-row gear is actually a view upward from below the transmission showing the trans opening with the fwd drive case removed. The damaged 2-row gear is up inside the trans so split is req'd.

L3000DT fwd shifter.jpg

Last edited:

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Attachment below shows the "drive case" on the bottom of the L300DT - which is where the fwd shifting happens. The gear slides forward and back engaging and disengaging. Looking at the attachment in post #5 above, the construction is very similar (on several Kubota models).

The OP's picture of the damaged two-row gear is actually a view upward from below the transmission showing the trans opening with the fwd drive case has been removed.
No attachment showing but I understand what you are describing. I thought the picture was the fwd case from above. The compound gear in the picture makes more sense now.

Dan

rbargeron

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 6, 2015
western ma
reinstated the attachment in post #5 (dinosaur fingers had deleted it)

Ang16volley

Equipment
Kubota L3000DT
Nov 28, 2021
Louisville
ok back to the 3000 Dt. We havent split the machine yet but it’s in the plans right after the first of the year. We have all the expensive parts in but are struggling to find the WSM for that particular model. Any suggestions? Does anyone have a download we could purchase or link to the correct manual?

rbargeron

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 6, 2015
western ma
The L3000 was offered in 2000-2003 as a lower-priced basic tractor - with non-synchronized transmission, but did have independent pto with dual-stage clutch. The L3000 was sold alongside the new Grand L models which had more transmission options and updated sheet metal, fancy dash etc.

L3000 WSM's are available on eBay - but Kubotabooks lists a "Workshop Manual L2800-L3400" that's downloadable and should be pretty close mechanically, with similar parts and methods. Hope this helps - take care, Dick B

Last edited: