3rd function capabilities

Deeogee

Equipment
L3560 FEL 72" bucket, 84" snowplow, 72" snowblower, 72" hydraulic boxblade
Aug 13, 2017
Iola
Knowing my 3rd function is only pushing 8 gpm what other limitations should I be worried about. My neighbor has a skid steer and will let me barrow his attachments but I don't want to damage anything to my machine. I have a L3560 that I bought in August of last year. I have already put 275 hours on it and still climbing.

The big task at hand is yard cleanup. I run a dog kennel and I am looking at using a power broom on the fel powered by the 3rd function. Would this overheat my oil/machine?

Thanks, Josh

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Your third function is not designed to be a motor drive, so yes your going to make a fair amount of heat, and most 3rd function valves will not flow the total amount that the system can move so some will be bypassed and that too will also create heat.

Most third function valves are good for short cycle cylinder operation and not much more. ;)

Kennyd4110

Vendor Member
Sep 7, 2013
Westminster, MD
www.boltonhooks.com
8 GPM seems low for a power broom, plus you have to figure in parasitic losses through the hoses and couplers so you should not count on having the full 8.1 that your tractor is spec'd for. And I also agree with NIW, you will have heat issues. Your L series is not designed to run most SSL attachments even though they may hook up.

Now you could get a PTO driven "power pack" that will have a self-contained tank, pump, and cooler that will deliver more flow, but then your getting into big money territory.

majorwager

Equipment
MX5100 FEL ford 1620 FEL International 484 FEL Lull 844C
Kennyd,
Agree with hydraulic reservoir- power unit. Just in process of finishing my own home built unit, it is expensive. However I did not cut any corners, well designed. Just need to attach supply and return hoses. 50 gallon capacity, 26 gpm typical usage, still installed cooler with fan for added cooling. Unit will power FEL SSQA finish mower. Speed increaser is heart of the unit, pump is direct mount.

Kennyd4110

Vendor Member
Sep 7, 2013
Westminster, MD
www.boltonhooks.com
Kennyd,
Agree with hydraulic reservoir- power unit. Just in process of finishing my own home built unit, it is expensive. However I did not cut any corners, well designed. Just need to attach supply and return hoses. 50 gallon capacity, 26 gpm typical usage, still installed cooler with fan for added cooling. Unit will power FEL SSQA finish mower. Speed increaser is heart of the unit, pump is direct mount.

Sounds like a nice unit Major, maybe you could start a thread on it with pictures and details? I'd sure love to see it!

Deeogee

Equipment
Aug 13, 2017
Iola
Thanks for the help guys!

I realize it's still a drive motor but what about running a post hole digger? I've done it in the past and it worked but now I'm wondering it I stressed my machine. What exactly happens if you over heat the hydraulic oil?

I love the idea of the homemade power pack idea. A new thread with some pics would be awesome.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
You probably didn't heat it much with a post hole digger, they are the mildest of all the things you can use. ;)

If you were to overheat it you could seize the Hydraulic pump up or if an HST you could burn that unit too. :eek:

Deeogee

Equipment
Aug 13, 2017
Iola
You probably didn't heat it much with a post hole digger, they are the mildest of all the things you can use. ;)

If you were to overheat it you could seize the Hydraulic pump up or if an HST you could burn that unit too. :eek:
Well that would suck! Thanks for the scare. I will get the thought of skid steer implements out of my head for now.