345L. Glow plugs?

Jeremy126

Equipment
L345
Aug 14, 2019
Woodbury TN
How long should you hold the switch before starting? And I can’t find the glow plugs in the parts diegram any help would be welcome.

motionclone

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L345DT with Lp mower, forks and grapple thumb, Bobcat 337 Midi Ex
May 4, 2018
Maine
How long should you hold the switch before starting? And I can***8217;t find the glow plugs in the parts diegram any help would be welcome.
I fire glow plugs for 30-60 seconds before starting. Anything below about 45 degrees outside and it takes a minute of glow plugs first. Block heater changed that though, much easier starting.

I have the L345dt

Last edited:

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
I have attached some info to help you find the GP's and also to caution you about the unique setup on your tractor.

I believe the GP's on your model are wired in series and not parallel.

It is common for owners to not understand the difference and connect them improperly and then they don't work properly.

The second last photo is of one of these wrong connections.

The third photo from the parts illustration shows the short wiring connectors between the GP's. If these were wired in parallel, there would be one common bar connecting all the GP's

Dave

Attachments

Last edited:

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
Someone has asked that I expand upon the presence/use of series wired Glow Plugs.

I have seen the series wiring on an older B and some L's.

I do not know the reason for the change from parallel wiring and can only speculate that these series GP engines were ones Kubota acquired through relationships with other manufacturers.

Some of the low cylinder count series GP engines had a resistor in addition to the GP indicator. This resistor was in a metal can at the base of the steering column.

Look at the material I am posting closely to see how the series GP's have two electrical terminals.

Also note the differences in how the GP's are shown wired between series and parallel installations.

In the illustration of the two cylinder series wired GP, note the ground wire running from the last GP to the engine block. On parallel wired GP's the grounding is through the metal body of the GP to the engine block.

Dave

Attachments

Last edited: