3400 did I go wrong

Sharps-Nut

Dec 16, 2012
Jopin, MO
Hello all, newb here. I have been mowing my 2 acre yard and doing light homeowner chores with a john deer 850 with a woods belly mower for 8 years, it has served me well. Saturday I fell off the wagon and bought a bare 2006 l3400f with 93 hours on it, looks like a new one. :) My plan is to sell the deer and mow via three point finish mower with 3400. I would also like to use the 3400 some at my hobby farm with a 6' brush hog, only for light cutting I can do the tough jobs with a 1600 oliver. I also was hoping to use a 3 point post hole digger to set some gate and corner posts and maybe plant some food plots. Did I buy to small to do these things? Any help appreceiated.

dude693

Equipment
L3800/1860 land pride brush cutter/reverse 60 inch tiller
it sound like you found a low hr machine and should have plenty of hp to do what you plan. i have a l3800 with a 5 ft brush hog and i have brush out some heavy material with it, welcome aboard and have fun with your new purchase

bcbull378

Equipment
GL3830,fel,brush hog,pallet forks,disc,gannon,auger,springtooth,plow,drag,ripper
Sep 6, 2011
Ventura Ca
If its 4WD youll have more than enough tractor , enjoy.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
You've got a nice size 35hp L3400 where as the JD850 you had was only 19hp. With Kubota you'll losse traction long before you ever loose power. So I'd say you did good.

Welcome to the Organge side!

bosshogg

Equipment
2004 L3400F w/ FEL
Aug 16, 2012
Hartford, SD, USA
I purchased the same tractor with similar hours. Widen the rear rims as soon as possible and get yourself a rear weight if you really want to do some serious dirt work.

Attachments

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
I think the L 3400 F is 2 wheel drive.
You are correct.
Sharps-Nut, welcome to OTT!
Only you can truly determine whether you made the right choice or not, because you know your needs and conditions best. If you don't need 4WD, then I'm sure that the L3400 will do all that you are asking, and more. If you do need 4WD, you will have to figure out how to skin the cat, just like they did before the advent of the 4WD. It has been done, and still is.

Last edited:

Sharps-Nut

Dec 16, 2012
Jopin, MO
Thanks for the warm welcome. Yes the f stands for 2wd. I would have prefered a front wheel assist with a loader and maybe a spot or to bigger. But keeping in mind I was going to mow with it at home I felt weight could become an issue and I knew the price would be an issue.:eek: The little johnny did everything I ever ask it to do except quick removal of the woods deck. So I am gambling this tractor is the same weight with 1/3 more hp and now I will have my pto to use when ever I wish. A fel might go on it if I found a real bargain. It would be for home lawn work as my oliver has a fel and why abuse a little tractor if you got other options. So are there any weak links in a 3400 or anything I should service right away based on hours. I am without a manual, is there one option only there or one that would serve me better than others. I do all my own service work if that helps. Thanks again. SN

gpreuss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200DT w/FEL, K650 Backhoe, 5' Rotary, 40" Howard Rotavator, 6' Rhino blade
Oct 9, 2011
Spokane, WA
You will probably want some front end weights for that tractor, to counter balance the rear mower and maintain steering control. There are several great weight designs on the site (including mine...). With independent brakes and the differential lock, you will be in great shape!
The 3400 is a lot of tractor. I wouldn't think you'll ever find it short of the mark.
Welcome to OTT!

Attachments

bosshogg

Equipment
2004 L3400F w/ FEL
Aug 16, 2012
Hartford, SD, USA
Mine had 144 hours and I soon realized the hydraulic and oil had never been changed (filters were painted with engine paint). I soon changed the hydraulics, oil, and anti-freeze and everything has been good. I agree that front weights would be nice if you don't mount an FEL for counter weight. Like I said previously, I would widen the rear wheels...tractor is a little tippy.

Sharps-Nut

Dec 16, 2012
Jopin, MO
Thanks for the replies/advice. I put 10th of an hour on it last night just playing and letting the kids take a turn at the wheel.. Its zippy compared to the deer, the hp difference shows quickly. I did not see paint dobs making either filter. The prevouis owner's son was supposed to own a kubota dealership so it might have been service well. I will get a manual and sure change the engine oil right now. Its got a grill gaurd that appears to double as a weight rack but the weights were not inclduded. :mad: Guess I better pony up for some. I will extend the rear when it warms. I like your counter weight, looks handy and easy to put on and remove. I hope to sell my 850 soon. Anyone want a noce lawn mower? Oh noticed it puked about a tablespoon of antoofreeze out the over flow tube overnight. I checked AF the day before and it was all the way to the top, maybe a little over full conidering it lacked a puke bottle. Thanks again for all the advice.

bosshogg

Equipment
2004 L3400F w/ FEL
Aug 16, 2012
Hartford, SD, USA
Just to clarify they wasn't pain gobs or speckles but the filters were completely Kubota engine grey with no additional markings. I could have been mistaken but pretty sure it was the ones that came off the production line. Enjoy your tractor...it will serve you well. The little spitting out of antifreeze is it telling you it likes its new home.

Sharps-Nut

Dec 16, 2012
Jopin, MO
Thanks for the clarity. The filters are not engine grey. I think as a cautionary note I will service it anyway. I liked to spewed cofee all over my screen when I read the antifreeze bit. I had a farmall A a few years back that liked to pee the bed as well. Its peasure was 80-90 and despite seals and attempts to stop it from bed wetting it kept on. It got replaced with the 850 which was not a bed wetter, not one drop in 8 years. I think its going to take more than a teaspoon of antifreeze to get this one put up for adoption. The operator's platform is so much improved over the 850. They are calling for snow and I am kinda hoping we get a bunch. God knows we need the moisture and then I can see how it likes to work. :)