3301 vs 3350 vs 3901? whats the real diff.

sdk1968

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2601HSD & CK4010HST 4WD/FEL
Oct 19, 2016
Ohio
alright so we most all agree on buy as much tractor as you can afford..

& ive been talking to some of you about my 2601 & how much i love it.

Well now the "talk" of upgrading it to a little bigger tractor is going around with the wife, me & my sales girl....

if there is a thread on the differences between these 3 that is pretty clear send me that way as my search fu has not really found what i want to know.

lots of nay sayers here on on 3350.

is that because of the DPF only? & whats the real difference in the 3 vs 4 cylinder engines?

& is it a hands down that everyone likes the 3901 better than either of those?

looks to be about $1800 for the extra 3HP. is it worth it? do the engine unhappy's guys are saying about the 33 series go away with the 3901?

just looking at options & investments.

1970cs

Apr 26, 2016
Grand Ledge
B3350 is a smaller platform than the standard L 2501,33 and 39

Also you are comparing a deluxe B series to a standard L not really apples to apples.

The B3350 must be cured because were not seeing them coming back in for service for DPF issues, and both series in the 30+hp have DPF.

The B3350 has a mid PTO, the standard L does not have it or an option for it.

Pat

sdk1968

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 19, 2016
Ohio
see that was actually good info...

hadnt thought about the fact that ive got all the fancy stuff on the B2601..

good seat, left side brakes, rubber mat & so on ... hmmmm

sdk1968

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 19, 2016
Ohio
B3350 is a smaller platform than the standard L 2501,33 and 39

Also you are comparing a deluxe B series to a standard L not really apples to apples.

The B3350 must be cured because were not seeing them coming back in for service for DPF issues, and both series in the 30+hp have DPF.

The B3350 has a mid PTO, the standard L does not have it or an option for it.

Pat
Pat,

i havent had time to get back to my sales girl/dealer...

so the 3350 is still the deluxe B with the pedals on the left side & so on?

it doesnt sound like much of a move up from the start but then when i go read the specs its a pretty big jump in PTO hp... next size up FEL..

but what is the rub for most people?

stay smaller & skip the DPF? or go for the HP?

Cathy Liebchen

Equipment
KUBOTA L3901, MX5800, MULE PRO FX, MULE PRO FXT
Pat,

i havent had time to get back to my sales girl/dealer...

so the 3350 is still the deluxe B with the pedals on the left side & so on?

it doesnt sound like much of a move up from the start but then when i go read the specs its a pretty big jump in PTO hp... next size up FEL..

but what is the rub for most people?

stay smaller & skip the DPF? or go for the HP?
I don't agree that you should "buy as much tractor as you can afford". What you can afford is a secondary or lower consideration. Getting what you need is much more important than over spending. We can afford a Grand L, MX or larger M but don't need that. We have a lot of hilly woods so can't have a too big of a frame. Never do hay rolls or tilling. Don't want to have to buy a bigger truck just to carry it among the properties. We went with a 3901.

Unless you need a mid-mount mower, skip the B series and go with an L. DPF concerns are way overstated, and no replacement for displacement. No one ever wishes they had a less powerful tractor particularly at the PTO. Determine the physical size and weight of the tractor based on your most difficult regular tasks. Then rent for one off things like backhoe work, dozer etc.

Last edited:

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Sdk, to add to what Pat said, the B2650 and B3350 have the same engine design except the 3350 has 4 cylinders. The 3 vortex indirect inject engine I think is similar to that in your B2601. The B3350 has a dpf filter tacked on, and the regen mechanism is different from that in the L tractors, and is really complicated, so more places for it to go haywire.

The L tractors have high pressure common rail computer controlled direct injection systems. This gives them greater fuel efficiency and is how the regen cycles are done, and it seems to be reliable.

To my eye all of the B tractors are small tractors, and I have the B2650. Yes brake pedals are on the left. Good for getting into small places, but big enough to do work. So my thought is what you gain in hp with the B3350 series would be offset by the inconvenience of the dpf, and it is still a small tractor.

So if you need more hp or a sturdier frame you should look at the Lseries. I obviously prefer the Grand L 3560, for a lot of reasons. If the frame is not too big consider it too.

sdk1968

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 19, 2016
Ohio
Sdk, to add to what Pat said, the B2650 and B3350 have the same engine design except the 3350 has 4 cylinders. The 3 vortex indirect inject engine I think is similar to that in your B2601. The B3350 has a dpf filter tacked on, and the regen mechanism is different from that in the L tractors, and is really complicated, so more places for it to go haywire.

The L tractors have high pressure common rail computer controlled direct injection systems. This gives them greater fuel efficiency and is how the regen cycles are done, and it seems to be reliable.

To my eye all of the B tractors are small tractors, and I have the B2650. Yes brake pedals are on the left. Good for getting into small places, but big enough to do work. So my thought is what you gain in hp with the B3350 series would be offset by the inconvenience of the dpf, and it is still a small tractor.

So if you need more hp or a sturdier frame you should look at the Lseries. I obviously prefer the Grand L 3560, for a lot of reasons. If the frame is not too big consider it too.

Pat & Sheepy:

thank you all! these are the type of input/things i was after.

NEVER thought we could ever need more than the 2601 & didnt figure we would ever fully use it on our little place. The B7200 had been just fine until we expanded what we wanted to do & it ran out of HP.

Now was kinda getting that same feeling with all the extra demands she is wanting to toss in there... like maybe i should have went a little bigger.

as said: YES we could afford the L series... but it was about space in the woods (none, completely raw uncared for)

havent really felt like the 2601 didnt have enough HP, it seems fine there, but fore sure with all this tree work, its felt a little small/light.

from what you guys are posting, im already spoiled with the deluxe B & not sure that would want to give those fancy little features up to go into the L series since im not a real farmer (we just play at this)

we are very hilly here & are planning on cutting another 1/2 mile of hiking/walking trails on the place & the smaller 2601 is perfect for that.... maybe i should just load the tires to help it stay planted.

it kinda seems like this is gonna end up just like my chainsaws! 1 for small everday stuff & 1 for big jobs that gets used off & on. maybe i should look for one of these older big Kubo's that are fairly cheap for this larger stuff! MORE TOYS!

GREAT. im gonna need a bigger shop/garage.

EDIT NOTE: i just went & looked at the Grand L 3560! OMG!! now that IS NICE!! hee hee.. maybe i should look there.

Last edited:

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
There is something to be said for 2 tractors....:D:D my neighbor has 5. I asked my friend who is raising sheep on part of a big family farm how she manages some of the implements, and she said she just goes and gets the tractor that has the right attachment on it. At the moment I have the bucket and landscape rake on the B, and the big flail and pallet forks on the L. In the winter the snowblower will go on the B and the bucket and back blade on the L. For me the pto attachments are hard due to hand arthritis. You could have his and hers tractors. The B size with turfs is ideal for yard and flower bed projects.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Very true Mary, my bud the sheep farmer,, well both sheep farmers have several tractors from BX's up to MX and each one has its own special use, so yeah even if it gets used once in a blue moon if ya got it, your good to go if not then ya gota play the game of moving this to that so this can move there and when your done move everything back or you need something else done when you have the wrong thing on the tractor. I do wish I could aford another one but mama says I have enough toys,,,, for now:D

Myb3350

Equipment
B3350 JD430 Moline BG and BF
Jul 4, 2016
meridian ms
B3350 owner Cab air, I love the size of the B3350 it is small enough to use as a lawn mower, 5 ft finish mower, big enough to do serious bush hogging, 5 ft bush hog, great size tractor I have had no regen problems

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I agree with Sheepfarmer's suggestion. Keep your current tractor, then shop for a used bigger tractor for the other tasks.

Can't go too far wrong that way. You keep the machine you know and like. Add another for less then new cost, and if you later decide that doesn't do what you want you can sell it. Your financial lost would be minimal, or you could take your time and shop to find a bargain....then when/if you sell it you'll come out ahead!

Newlyme

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 w/loader, finish mower, tiller, auger, rake. BX24 w/loader, backhoe
May 27, 2015
Nelson Ohio USA

sdk1968

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 19, 2016
Ohio
this is another example of why this forum is good!

ive read other threads on here that asked parts of the same question as mine, but not really from the same approach or reasons.

Yet still the good members jump right in & give awesome advice.

OTT = YOU ROCK!

i had 2 tractors & 2 mowers(his & hers) & felt ridiculous seeing as how we are just a small 15 acre place & we dont have livestock or hay to bail... just lots of woods.

so sold the extra mower & sold the b7200(finally).. was just starting to get where i could move around in the shop/garage again.

but older larger Kubo's are actually pretty reasonable in price.

ahhhh but then my old man w/a toy syndrome kicks in & that GrandL 3560 is SWEET looking.

so when i called my sales lady today.... she was like oh heck yes i'll put you in one of those stop in & lets get to it.

so maybe next weekend i'll drop over & test one of those out & give it the "eye sex" test. Then we will see what happens next.

BTW: my 3 point wood chipper shows up WEDS! :D

1970cs

Apr 26, 2016
Grand Ledge
GLWYP. Let me know if can help you any further. Just remember that deluxe B's are about 25% stronger than the standard B when it come to lift capacity.

Pat

sdk1968

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 19, 2016
Ohio
wasnt sure what the real lift capacity on my 2601 was vs what they put on paper, but didnt want to overload the lil gal.

that 30"+ Ashe trunk i cut down to a 6' piece & a couple of almost 5's

it was all i could do to tilt the bucket up enough to not drag the forks... for sure didnt like how heavy it felt & fortunate didnt have to go but about 100yds to drop it off.

the rest of the Ashe trees are smaller so 6' chunks shouldnt be an issue.

but now im all excited to go look at that grandL!!

sdk1968

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 19, 2016
Ohio
oh i got it now! was a little slow on the draw there...

every hobby has all the acro's for their stuff & we definitely have a set in the gun hobby..

so no different here. i had no clue what a FEL was when first arrived here. :eek: