-31c today hope she starts

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
You don't say what tractor you have, but if you have enough battery and heat the intake with whatever method is available it should start...that is if the engine and fuel are in good condition!

Might list your tractor by going to User CP on top left of page. Then when/if you ask specific questions your answers can also be more specific.

Good luck getting it fired off. Let us know how it goes!

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
So it's -31c today -41c with wind chill. I got to put out hay today I hope she starts. First winter with this tractor. Fingers crossed.

Sent from my XP7700 using Tapatalk
Not sure I want to go outside!:D

A good deal of preheat - the right treatment of fuel, strong battery and a good warm up, I mean you not the tractor!;) And you'll be fine!

pauly

Equipment
2014 B2650, LA534A FEL,B2781B Snow Blower, Land Pride RCR 1260 Land Pride RB157
Sep 23, 2014
East Troy Wisconsin USA
Get a block heater. I put the Kubota OEM unit in. Best $60.00 I have spent.
Hope you get it running.

savoy9020

Lifetime Member

Equipment
G1800, L2501 (2016) 5ft LP box 2004 F250 6.0 Lariat Supercrew 2017 1140D RTV, 2
May 25, 2016
Savoy, Texas
Freak, that sounds a lot colder than the 13F we saw this morning here in Texas..

My L2501 is staying in the barn, no need to get it out.

My 04' SuperDuty PS 6.0 on the other hand, I have to wake it up it early tomorrow, and it should be around 12F then. Going to pick up some Winter fuel additive, for this rare occasion, and throw in it today to prevent gelling.. We don't have any #1 to mix with it down here.

So it's -31c today -41c with wind chill. I got to put out hay today I hope she starts. First winter with this tractor. Fingers crossed.

Sent from my XP7700 using Tapatalk

WFM

Equipment
L3800
Apr 5, 2013
Porter Maine
I think my oem block heater was $44. bucks at the dealer. I plug it in as needed. But my battery seems very strong only once at -20*F that it was not plugged in and I had to jump start it. I'm not sure how long Kubota batterys last. But anything like a truck the OEM battery is better then any off the shelf after market ones.
But -31*c=-24*F would kill just about any battery.

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
I started mine friday,oil plan heater and battery charger on overnight. Fired right up. If battery froze,it needs to be thawed before charging.if i was in your boots, i would be replacing battery with the biggest one that fits. Having a dependable machine for feeding critters shouldnt be a chore just to start.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
No one has mentioned this and it may not be applicable to your tractor which is not yet identified.

If your glow plugs are controlled by some electronic wizard, it is possible to force them into another cycle using an undocumented feature.

Assuming you have a shuttle shift, you move the shuttle to forward position and turn key to start. The glow plug light on the dash will not come on but it will be heating. I count to 10, put the shuttle lever in neutral and start.

This trick is a big help even when using a block heater. Sometimes the block heater warms up the sensor which controls how long the glow plugs heat and even if they do at all.

Although the block is warm from the heater, the frigid air coming into the cylinders makes it reluctant to start.

Take 10 seconds and force a cycle and boom the engine does not even turn over.

Dave M7040

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Those battery blankets were very popular for a while, i would sooner use a charger, it warms battery and keeps available amps topped up. Havent seen a battery blanket in at least 5 years.

L.C. Gray

Equipment
L3400, RTV500
May 14, 2016
Stephenville, Texas
Had an ice storm here a few years back where we had 10 degree temps for days. I needed to put a round bale out for the cows and the modern diesel tractor wasn't having none of it. I just went over to one of my antiques, a 1936 Case CC and it fired right up. No 3 point, but I just used a hay buggy hooked onto the draw bar and got it done. With 12 tractors on the place surely one of them will start when you just gotta have something.

lordulrich

Equipment
BX 2370, 60 MMM, Loader, Front Mount Snow Blower, Landpride 3 pt blade, Tiller
Jul 28, 2016
SE Minnesota
If you have lots of low temps you might want to look at an AGM battery. AGMs will have a little less capacity at the higher temperatures, but it looses less capacity as the temperature drops. Each battery will be a bit different, but in general AGM batteries will have more capacity at low temperature, when you typically need it at least in my climate.

Southernfarm

Equipment
2014 BX25D
Jun 8, 2016
Southern MB
While I don't have a battery blanket on my tractor yet, I plan on getting one. Had one on my old green 318 and even on my minivan. My work limited the amount of current they allowed for heaters when I plugged in at work. So a blanket and block heater worked. Block heater would keep the engine at least a bit warm in -40 windchill but a warm strong battery will crank any cold engine with synthetic oil at any temp.

bcarver

Equipment
l3200 Fel box blade, Bionic Blade, 4ft bush hog, Ken's bucket hooks
Dec 17, 2016
Crystal Springs MS
I live very far south of you. Our low so far this year is 25 degrees. Christmas was 79 and that was not a record for that day. We have not had a day that stay below freezing.