3 point backhoe

Missouribound

Equipment
B2320, FEL, BOX BLADE, FINISH MOWER, QUICK HITCH
Jun 17, 2014
Missouri
I have tossed around the idea of a 3 point for a year or two. They are relatively inexpensive. I have also not pulled the trigger because of the horror stories and I do not want to destroy my tractor.
That being said........
The 3 points I have seen are considerably less expensive than the traditional bolt on mount. So my question is this. Can you mount or are there mounts available to solid mount a 3 point backhoe? I understand how they differ but is this something that can be done without doing the fabrication myself?
I have also seen a 3 point with an additional brace that attaches to the draw bar.
Is this a valid option?
For what I need I have even considered one of the towable machines. It's use would be only around the property for drainage projects, possible electrical cable burying and small projects such as planting or removing stumps.
I can see a lot of use for a backhoe but can't justify the $7000+ price tag for one.
Advice...suggestions.....any and all is welcome.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Can you mount or are there mounts available to solid mount a 3 point backhoe? I understand how they differ but is this something that can be done without doing the fabrication myself?
I have also seen a 3 point with an additional brace that attaches to the draw bar.
To get someone else to make the subframe and mounts needed for it to be properly supported would be extremely expensive!

The added mount helps, but it's still not enough!

The tree stumps with a three point mount would be your greatest concern! :(

L35

Equipment
L35/TL720/BT900/York rake/Valby chipper
Jun 13, 2010
CT
A fellow on another forum I frequent tried the towable DR hoe and was so dissapointed he ended up returning it.

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
Consider renting a mini-ex, will probably be cheaper in the long run.

Personally I wouldnt waste money on a 3PH BH. If you have that much trenching to do to justify the cost then you are going to hate getting on and off the machine every three feet of trench to move the machine.

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, RTV X1100C, M62 (sold)
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
I suppose if you always dig in soft soil, never hot rocks or roots a 3PT might be ok. Backhoes are very heavy and put a great deal of strain on the machine, even when used properly. I cant imagine that stress going into my 3PT link arms and hydraulic system. It is just a bad idea all around. The issue is also finding one weak enough that it hits relief before damaging your 3PT.

Tarmy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2800, BH76A, FEL,box scraper
Nov 17, 2009
Lake Almanor, Ca
I appears, from your post, that you understand the issues with a 3 pt set up. Trying to add braces or other support still brings all the energy/torque back to the three point...and will stress the hell out of it.

The backhoe is a heavy, long extension that exerts great force in multiple directions off the back of the tractor...there is a reason that basically all the comments regarding 3 pt set ups are a bad idea...

Either proceed with that understanding, and risk to the tractor...or get additional options and funds to either get a frame mount, used or new, or separate piece of equipment.

Good luck op

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I had a 3pt hoe, hated it, sold it and bought a mini x.

I'd suggest looking to see what projects you have and look to rent a mini x. You won't have the expense of buying a BH and the mini will dig circles around one anyway.

If you really want a BH spend the extra money and buy one with subframe mount.

rotnrob

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3940, BH 90hoe,LA724loader,L7576blade,angle blade, sickle&rotary mowers, disk
Feb 11, 2019
Salmon, Idaho
My 1975 AC 6040 had a 3pt hoe that didn't have enough power to pull your hat off, but it broke the 3rd link mount out of the rear end housing. Got the housing fixed and got rid of the 3pt hoe. My L3940 Kubota has a BH 90 frame mount hoe which is a great setup.

shootem604

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L245DT with Kubota (Arps Model 22) FEL and Kubota B/L4520B (Woods 650) BH
Apr 23, 2018
British Columbia
I have a 3 point back hoe. I've made braces and a custom toplink for it to prevent the upward push, but yes it would put more stress on the bracket. Kubota did not make a larger toplink bracket for this tractor to spread the force, but they did for later L-series tractors. I looked into making a similar bracket, but at the same time was looking at a Kubota USA ROPS through the safety program, so I am holding off to see if I can make something that works with the ROPS that will serve the same purpose, or maybe the ROPS kit will do that, as it adds more material that bolts in additional places.

With that said, I have a properly sized backhoe and I have used it cautiously and I have not yet broken the bracket or rear end housing. I have also explored the idea of a custom subframe but cost and lack of skills are factors for e.