2nd set of tires for chains/winter.

Edinburg424

Equipment
BX2670
Feb 9, 2016
Edinburg, VA
Sorry if this has been covered but my internet skills suck and I don't see it discussed. I don't have a trailer large enough for my BX 2670 and if it goes to the shop I have to rely on the shop to pick it up and bring it back with a cost of $50 each way. Someone suggested purchasing a 2nd set of turf tires and keeping the chains on them and switching them out before and after winter. These tires are of course filled with water and whatever else that add to it. Are these rear tires too heavy to maneuver on and off without using help. I've got a nice floor jack so lifting the tractor is not an issue but was wondering how heavy these tires really are. Anyone?

uglyboy

Equipment
TG1860G
Mar 8, 2013
St. George, Ontario
so, you want to get an extra set of wheels/tires just so you can keep the chains on one set ?
In my book, it's just as easy to install/remove chains as switching out wheels.

just my opinion.

Pete

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Why do you need to pull tires to put chains on?
Just put the chains on your tires that you have now.
If your going to use chains, you're probably going to need to get some wheel spacers for clearance, Others with a BX can correct me if I'm wrong.

Edinburg424

Equipment
BX2670
Feb 9, 2016
Edinburg, VA
I've had nothing but poor luck when it comes to putting on snow chains on my equipment in the past and having them stay. I had the dealership put them on and they did very well in 30 inch snow with no slack at all. I feel they may do a better job than I will. But yes, keep a set of chains on the tires for winter use then remove the tires come spring.

MadMax31

Equipment
BX23S, 60" MMM
Nov 5, 2014
New York
BX rears, loaded wouldn't be too heavy. If you already have turfs, than why not? I understand wanting the convenience of a quick swap out. Im bailing on my mmm in the spring in favor of a rear mounted version. Im only 35, but 20 years as an ice hockey goalie has destroyed my hips.

If you have R4s or AGs, then the diameter of the new turf wont jive with your fronts.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I suggest putting the chains on yourself, it's not that hard with a little practice. It will save you time, money, and a sore back from trying to muscle around some loaded tires. Here is a video that should help you out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39btyA6KxAU
One thing I would suggest is too use some cheap ratchet straps, I used those on my old 53 Ford - bungies work for a while, but loose their ability to hold the chains in place.

the ratchet straps allow for an initial tightness as well as a new tension as the chains stretch, and they will!

Get a 4 pack - wally world, lowes, TSC, and cut off the long strap and only use what you really need.

here is an example:

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Besides ratchet straps, there is an even lower tech solution that I've used for years on my Ingersoll: I use baling twine to snug up the chains. I lace it so it is pulling diagonally across in several places on the outside, and in a circular pattern like chords (if you remember your geometry) on the inside. Probably wouldn't work on a big tractor, but an Ingersoll is about the same size as a BX. See below :D

Grouse Feathers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2370, FEL, Snowblower-BX5455, Homebuilt Forks, LP RB1560, LP GS1548
Feb 16, 2015
Lovells, Mi
To put chains on my BX2370 I jack up the rear of the tractor with a floor jack in the center of the HST. With both wheels off the the ground it is easy to rotate the wheels and fit the chains on. When you get your chains they may need to to be shortened. You want the chains just long enough to fit, and having the tires off the ground makes it easy to adjust the chains. No matter how tight the chains fit you still will want want some type of tightener as others have suggested.

Last edited:

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
My rice tires dont work with chains. So my solution is a set of wheels set up for chains. Rice tires may never need to go back on, as the 11r22.5's will do everythin i need around here. Unless it never stops raining. All the backroads are trashed.