2650 vs 2920 engine HP

NEPA Guy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650HSDC, Spacers, FEL, BH, Snowblower, Snowplow, PBar, Forks
Nov 28, 2015
Pennsyltucky
I read that the engine is the same, but the 2650 was tuned down 3HP to fly under the epa radar.

Is there a way to precisely and safely turn up the rpm's to get a little boost? Adjust the governor?

I find I drop rpm's when operating the blower or the blade uphill down to 2000-2300. I have to slow down to keep the engine back up to 2500.

Is this feasible?

NEPA Guy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 28, 2015
Pennsyltucky
My guess is the injectors and/or fuel pump. NIW will know though. Work with what you have or buy bigger is my advice.
lol, I bought bigger, it didn't work out, the next step up wont fit in my garage.

I just thought a little bump up couldn't hurt, not a big deal if I can't.

fatjay

Equipment
Kubota B8200, B7200, ZD21
Nov 12, 2016
Eastern PA, USA
Bigger garage!

I'm sure there's a few ways to increase the power without sacrificing reliability. Some people buy bigger, some people build bigger. I'm a tinkerer so I tend to fall in the latter. Just know that most will void any warranty's. There's always increasing injector size, but you can also adjust the timing, or do as another guy did to his b7200, add a turbocharger. He probably mows at idle now.

Before you get into something like that though, there's a few questions to ask yourself. Do you have other machines you can fall back on if something goes wrong? Do you use this machine to make your living? Depending on those answers it may not be advisable to crack the hood.

MikeyA

Equipment
2016 B2650 FEL and 60"mmm,1998 B2400 MMM FEL(sold!) BB 4ft BRUSH HOG
Mar 6, 2010
West Central Illinois
I was comparing some parts between the two motors, and there are several differences. The injection nozzle assemblies have different part numbers, but all the individual parts, with the exception of the nozzle and top nut, are the same. The governor weight assemblies are different, but they use the same fuel camshaft inside of pump. The upper pump housings are different numbers though. The metal fuel pipes from pump to injectors are different numbers.The valve train camshaft is a different part number too, so it would be pretty expensive to pick up that 3 horsepower.

Last edited:

Boo

Equipment
MX5800; BH92, BB2572, Forks 3048
Jul 1, 2016
HOLT, Florida
Any more, a metal carport can be erected for not much money compared to building a bigger garage. Because of that, I did buy a bigger tractor. As I got older, I had to turn in my Superman cape, so I needed more weight and power to do the things I used to do with my BX.

Tractors are much more expensive than a carport. So is the repair on my broken and strained body parts. More power is good - as long as it doesn't break your tractor's body parts.

NEPA Guy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 28, 2015
Pennsyltucky
I hear ya Boo, getting old sucks. My eyes, my ears, my knees...jeez I tore both my rotator cuffs last summer because I forgot how I old i was. All I did was jump off my the back of my pickup with a cinderblock in each hand. :eek:

Thanks for looking up the differences MikeyA- I dont know much about engines, I'm sure its possible if you know what your doing, but I guess not. I was hoping it would be simple. Ah well, can't hurt to ask.

OldeEnglish, I'm all over the turbo charger if it comes out!

fatjay, Its purely residential, but I do need to take care of the machine, no engine cracking for me :)