2019 MX5800 HST PTO not engaging

jason peacock

Equipment
2019 mx5800
Apr 18, 2024
valley alabama
This is a new purchase to me, it had 132 hours on in and now has 240 hours on it and all I have used is the box blade to do ground work. I have recently started looking at bush hogs and decided to mess with the PTO. It has the single push down and twist knob on the right side near the fender. I have never seen the PTO engage and to my understanding the previous owner only used the tractor to move hay bails around.

I have some automotive experience but no tractor experience, with that. I have back probed the switch and am getting source voltage to the switch, toggling the switch moves source voltage from one output pin to another, forgive me I do not have the tractor in front of me, I do not have a schematic to reference and I failed to write the wire colors down. With the PTO switch engaged, the starter and transmission safeties work, the engine either stalls when trying to move or the starter does not engage.

The PTO output shaft turns approximately 1/4 the way back and forth, no resistance felt. The fluid level is a little low but in the sight glass.

Climbing under the tractor and doing a pin check on the pink wire at the PTO, no power is received at the solenoid, PTO switch engaged or not. Unplugging the PTO solenoid wire triggers a flashing warning light, and sets the E-95 Code. No codes or warning lights were present prior to tinkering with the system and after clearing the created codes no codes or lights returned.

Any thoughts on this,
Thank you in advance.

Last edited:

loggin

Equipment
MX4700
Sep 4, 2021
canada
This is a new purchase to me, it had 132 hours on in and now has 240 hours on it and all I have used is the box blade to do ground work. I have recently started looking at bush hogs and decided to mess with the PTO. It has the single push down and twist knob on the right side near the fender. I have never seen the PTO engage and to my understanding the previous owner only used the tractor to move hay bails around.

I have some automotive experience but no tractor experience, with that. I have back probed the switch and am getting source voltage to the switch, toggling the switch moves source voltage from one output pin to another, forgive me I do not have the tractor in front of me, I do not have a schematic to reference and I failed to write the wire colors down. With the PTO switch engaged, the starter and transmission safeties work, the engine either stalls when trying to move or the starter does not engage.

The PTO output shaft turns approximately 1/4 the way back and forth, no resistance felt. The fluid level is a little low but in the sight glass.

Climbing under the tractor and doing a pin check on the pink wire at the PTO, no power is received at the solenoid, PTO switch engaged or not. Unplugging the PTO solenoid wire triggers a flashing warning light, and sets the E-95 Code. No codes or warning lights were present prior to tinkering with the system and after clearing the created codes no codes or lights returned.

Any thoughts on this,
Thank you in advance.
I would suspect one of the safety switches is suspect. Did you have pressure on the seat when you checked for power at the pto solenoid?

jason peacock

Equipment
2019 mx5800
Apr 18, 2024
valley alabama
I would suspect one of the safety switches is suspect. Did you have pressure on the seat when you checked for power at the pto solenoid?
Yes, I tested multiple ways...
1. I sat on the seat and engaged the PTO, then I stood up, the Engine Turned off.
2. I manually pinned the switch in place to simulate a person in the seat, so I could do my pin checks for power at the solenoid.

loggin

Equipment
MX4700
Sep 4, 2021
canada
Yes, I tested multiple ways...
1. I sat on the seat and engaged the PTO, then I stood up, the Engine Turned off.
2. I manually pinned the switch in place to simulate a person in the seat, so I could do my pin checks for power at the solenoid.
Yeah, unfortunately I get a little lost with these new tractors that have computers in them. Only other thing I can think of is if there is a relay that might not be working or has bad contacts.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

jason peacock

Equipment
2019 mx5800
Apr 18, 2024
valley alabama
Yeah, unfortunately I get a little lost with these new tractors that have computers in them. Only other thing I can think of is if there is a relay that might not be working or has bad contacts.

Sorry I can't be of more help.
Im good with electronics, but a wire diagram is a must, I asked the dealer about buying one and all they said was available was the shop service manual. I feel theres a EWD somewhere, the electrics are too complicated to guess at routing, especially when something should be 5v signal and you apply testing techniques that could cause damage. I went ahead and ordered the PTO solenoid and the switch today, only 300.00. If this does not fix it, ill send it to the shop. My gut is saying bad harness, connector or ECU (1500.00 ECU). All of the research ive done says there is no external relay and the switch sends the signal to the ECU, in which the ECU sends the signal (12 volts) to power the solenoid. Im not seeing voltage supplied but then again, im guessing being i have not found the exact wire diagram for this tractor.
thank you for you time and help

loggin

Equipment
MX4700
Sep 4, 2021
canada
Im good with electronics, but a wire diagram is a must, I asked the dealer about buying one and all they said was available was the shop service manual. I feel theres a EWD somewhere, the electrics are too complicated to guess at routing, especially when something should be 5v signal and you apply testing techniques that could cause damage. I went ahead and ordered the PTO solenoid and the switch today, only 300.00. If this does not fix it, ill send it to the shop. My gut is saying bad harness, connector or ECU (1500.00 ECU). All of the research ive done says there is no external relay and the switch sends the signal to the ECU, in which the ECU sends the signal (12 volts) to power the solenoid. Im not seeing voltage supplied but then again, im guessing being i have not found the exact wire diagram for this tractor.
thank you for you time and help
I believe the shop manuals have wiring diagrams in them, or at least they used to. You could ask the dealer to confirm that.