2015 GR2120 Diesel mower

jdefonseka

Aug 28, 2014
Moorestown, New Jersey, USA
I purchased a 2015 Kubota GR2120 diesel mower with 48” deck from the dealer a few days ago. It was shipped directly from Georgia. GCK54-GR bagger installed at the dealer. Love this machine and every feature about it and I have wanted one of these for a very long time. Brought it home (I live less than 1 mile from the dealer) and parked it in my garage. Didn’t drive it at the dealer (besides loading it up on the trailer) since it was raining. Yesterday I drove the mower around my yard for the first time. When I purchased it had 0.7 Hours on it. (Assuming testing done at the factory) I have 2 concerns with it which in my mind is not normal.
1) Hydrostat was making a loud whining noise. Especially when the deck is going up. I know hydrostats typically are whiny. This was a little excessive than my 1991 T1600 Diesel with the hydrostat that had over 600Hrs. I figured I will check the obvious first. Fluid level in the hydrostat. As per the OM, raised the deck and checked the trans dipstick. It was completely dry. Not a trace of any oil touching the dipstick. I drained the transmission fluid just to make sure there was no abnormalities like metal shavings in the fluid. I got just over 2 Quarts out and the fluid looked good. The OM calls for 3.5 Quarts. (Including filter) Re filled with Kubota UDT fluid. Tested the hydraulic deck, forward /back travel and hydrostat makes almost no noise at all. It took all 3.5 Quarts to register between high and low marks on the dipstick
2) I hear an intermittent noise which I can only describe as a rattle from the back. (Sounds like a heavy metal chain dragging on asphalt) What concerns me is that when this rattle happens, the machine has feeling of a slipping clutch and jolts. It does this going forward or backward. I don’t want to come to conclusions without investigating further but I’m assuming this might have to do with a misadjusted glide steer rods that are connected to clutches on the back wheels. I’m saying this because I can recreate the issue if I turn the steering in one direction or another and go forward/ backward ect…
I know it has warranty and I can take it back to the dealer, however I’m just a little surprised to find that Kubota did not check the fluid level after assembly. Also might need a trip to the dealer to find out the noise/ slipping clutch. All this and I haven’t cut grass once ***61514; I think once this is resolved, I will remove the deck and go thru the machine thoroughly to make sure everything is in place/ all grease fittings are properly maintained prior to cutting grass with it.
Jeff

Attachments

jdefonseka

Aug 28, 2014
Update on mower:

Sprayed down the glide steer linkages (on the hydrostat) with lubrication and the rattle type noise is almost gone. I now have 6.2 hours on it and so far it has done an excellent job cutting grass until the last time.
Found that the mower is leaving lines on the right side of the deck. I measured the deck height on both sides to find the right side is 1/2" lower. (This side has the added weight of the blower assembly for the grass collector)

I'm not sure how this dropped 1/2" but I'm sure there must be an adjustment for this on the right side.

Machine has plenty power with the 21HP diesel. Love the power steering and hydraulic deck. Grass collector also does an excellent job without clogging in wet grass.

78Vette

Equipment
F2690
Mar 14, 2010
SW Ont. Canada
So, you're saying it ran for ,7 hour without any fluid in it. I would have had them get me another mower, but as far as the GR2120 goes, i had one and found it does a good job and is a beast in it's own right. Started getting a noisy mower-deck and suspected the bearings heading south. Had me eyes on a F260 anyways and got rid of mine.
Hope yours treats you well down the road.
Just wondering if you notified the dealer regarding the no fluid issue and get it documented somehow?
As far as the whine goes, mine was quite bad even with fluid in it. Had them come get it and check it out. What they told me was, that the engine RPM was not set right and they slowed it down a bit. No whine after that.

Last edited:

jdefonseka

Aug 28, 2014
It had just over 2 quarts of fluid in it initially. My dealer has been very helpful so far and yes they did say it was documented. I don't think it did any damage to the hydrostat since it had fluid in it but I don't know since it was very noisy.

How many hours when the bearings went bad on yours?
Funny you say that, my friend purchased new a B3200 few years ago that had faulty mower bearings right from the factory. His 72" mower was extremely noisy and once they were replaced, all is fine.

Thanks

78Vette

Equipment
F2690
Mar 14, 2010
SW Ont. Canada
How many hours when the bearings went bad on yours?

Thanks
I'm not sure but am thinking around 100 hrs when i traded it in. Maybe 120, but no more.
The deck had fewer hrs on it because i used the mower 2 winters for snow-blowing as well. I'll have to go with 60-70 hrs when i first started hearing noise. Sure wasn't because of lack in maintenance i can assure you.

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Before assuming something is wrong with deck adjustment, check tires. A tape measure to equal points on tractor frame and adjust air accordingly. Then check blade height.

Techs doing pdi's do a quick once over looking for the obvious, as if it takes too long they dont make as much flat rate money, which in turn affects bonus.

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
It is the selling dealers responsibility to inspect the unit prior to delivery. There is an inspection sheet that must be filled out for Kubota, checking all fluid levels are on the sheet. Sounds like someone at the dealership checked the unit while sitting at their desk.

78Vette

Equipment
F2690
Mar 14, 2010
SW Ont. Canada
It is the selling dealers responsibility to inspect the unit prior to delivery. There is an inspection sheet that must be filled out for Kubota, checking all fluid levels are on the sheet. Sounds like someone at the dealership checked the unit while sitting at their desk.
Thats exactly what happened to me. Before i bought my Gr2120, i thought that maybe i should buy from a American company and decided on a JD mower. They delivered it and after they left, i did a walk around, checking oil level and tranny fluid level. Couldn't see any indication of where the fluid level is through the transparent hydraulic fluid tank, took the cap off and stuck a screwdriver inside which came out dry. Called them right away and they send the delivery guy right back with couple quarts of fluid. He topped it off and left. Wasn't very happy at that point, but sat on it to check things out from the drivers seat. Gas tank gauge showed empty and was thinking (you know what). Filled it up and gauge still showed empty. Called them up and told them to just come get that thing out of my driveway and bring my Check back. Not JD's fault but i was done with that dealer. Went and bought the GR2120.

jdefonseka

Aug 28, 2014
Tire psi was the first thing I checked. Those were good so I adjusted the mower deck up on the right side. It took about 10 turns to come up 1/2 inch. Now with the mower deck down at 3" cutting position, both sides are exactly at 2" to the bottom of the deck in front. I will see how it performs when I cut grass next week.