2014 Kubota 7040SU with Loader? Need Help

KubotaBlackLabrador

Feb 8, 2016
Southeast
Hi, my dad bought a new 2014 Kubota 7040SU 4x4 with a 1153 loader about two years ago. The tractor is in GEM MINT condition with around 100 hours. it looks like it rolled off the showroom floor. It still even has the white sticker on the side of the loader bucker when they delivered new. It has the power reverser and the heavy cast wheel and the fiberglass canopy top.

He scrimped a tad when he bought this tractor and even though he really likes the tractor there are a few things he doesn't like. The most important thing is it is geared too high for loader work. His last tractor was a New Holland and it would basically crawl at idle, which made it easy to install implements on the 3PH. This Kubota was his first tractor with a FEL, so he didn't think much about the speed when he bought the tractor. Also, the tractor seems a bit top heavy as compared to the New Holland especially when mowing on an incline.

Given these things what would a tractor like this bring on the open market? He has a chance to buy a like new John Deere 5075m and think this would be a better tractor for his needs. I know the JD is a much heavier built tractor. He just wants to get an idea of what the Kubota would bring if he buys the John Deere, since he doesn't want to be stuck with two tractors.

Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST, KingKutter box scraper, KingKutter 66" rake, County Pride Subsoiler
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
My guess is $2000 or so off what he paid. The pre-regen emission machines are going for a premium. Kubotas sell well on CraigsList. Get six good pics and post it!

Ray

KubotaBlackLabrador

Feb 8, 2016
Southeast
Here is a picture of the tractor. What do you think he should ask for tractor given the information?

He is not going to sell unless he can work out a deal on the John Deere 5075M MFWD and H260 loader. How would the 7040 compare to the Deere 5075M. I know the Deere is a 5 cylinder as compared to the Kubota. The John Deere LOOKS to be a better built tractor, but there is an advantage of having a simple basic tractor like the M7040.

Would you sell the Kubota for the Deere 5075M or would you just keep and live with the higher gear ratio? I know they said the 7040 was a very reliable tractor and that is why he went with this unit, since it didn't require DEF.

Attachments

Last edited:

Robert3301

Equipment
L3301 HST
Dec 1, 2015
South Carolina
Is this the M7040 or the "economy" 7040su? You said both so I wasn't sure and I couldn't tell from the pic. As far as price goes, I don't see why he couldn't get almost exactly what he paid for it, minus maybe $1000-1500. The M Deeres are good tractors, too much electrical stuff for me though. I have a 5325 (predecessor to the M) and that 5 cyl is loud and blows black smoke like crazy, but it's been dead reliable.

KubotaBlackLabrador

Feb 8, 2016
Southeast
It is the the M7040 SU (Economy Version) He wanted the standard M7040, but no one had any new in stock at the time he bought and he wanted the one without the DEF and this is all he could find.

I've also read the same on the John Deere M series being that the engines are great (I've been told they're the same engine they put in most of their Generator power plants and they'll accept alot of hours)

BUT, they have electrical issues, and it starts to be noticed when tractor hits the 300 hour mark. It might be best to forego and just keep the Kubota. I hate equipment that has electrical issues.