2005 Kubota BX 23 Mid PTO shaft problem

cthomas

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610 HSDC
Jan 1, 2017
La Farge Wi
yeesh, must be a lot more complicated than I'm led to believe and at $100/hr...$2K + 1K for the 'fix' AND $300 for 'shop supplies', which probably won't include HST oil.

WT's line ... The Flat Rate Manual lists labor at 8.2 hours.

I assume that's the total repair..of remove/fix/reinstall which sounds right. Say 3hrs to remove and tear down, 1hr fix, 3 hrs reinstall, 1hr coffee breaks.

You have never worked at flat rate if you think it includes coffee breaks. Heck in the automotive world every quarter the labor flat time changes, and it usually goes down.

Reactions: 1 user

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
If you were closer I would have come over to give you a hand just for the experience of learning. Unfortunately, you are geographically too far away.

TV Kubota BX 23

Equipment
2005 Kubota BX 23 with loader & Backhoe
Nov 21, 2023
Maryland
Ok so I wanted to give an update on the mid PTO not working, I decided to remove the transmission and rear assembly from the tractor which was successful. After a thorough cleaning, I removed the front cover plate and discovered the rear PTO shaft had broken in two about three inches from the front cover, that shaft alone was $275, several other gears were damaged along with one destroyed bearing. I have about $1,000 in parts which I believe i have everything needed now. I did remove the rear cover as well. Question is should I install the rear cover before the front cover? First time doing this repair, the new shaft has bearings on both ends that fit into both the rear and front cover. There was some damage to the front cover where the bearing was destroyed, I cleaned it up with a small sanding disk on a Drexel tool to remove the rough edges, they want $1,600 for a new front cover, Ouch! Any help on the reassembly process would be much appreciated, I do have the workshop manual.

Thanks again,