2 acres to fill in and smooth out - start new? Or work with what I have?

forceten

Equipment
BX 25d, Grand L6060, Kx040, GL7500, ZD1211 With cab
Sep 4, 2015
New Jersey
I have 2 acres that over the years have some low spots that water puddles in and years of my driving my tractors over it has all sorts of bumps and ruts. The grass grows pretty decent on the 2 acres but I hate cutting it as I am jumping out of my seat on my zero turn.

I have a 72" power rake, 72" tiller, box blade, land plane - the works. I had thought to Just get some top soil in the low lake spots - and power rake up the rest of the area to level it out and grade it a bit to get rid of the bumps. And just add grass seed, hay and water it. My one neighbor says I should kill off the entire two acres - take the grass off and start new. I was hoping not to do that much work. It doesn't have to look like a gold course, I just want the bumps out.

Power rake to level with adding in top soil where I have to and seed - or kill it all off and start new? What kind of problems will I have it I just power rake it smooth without taking off the existing grass? Fence was temporary for the dogs will be coming out this spring. This is one side to give an idea

Attachments

Reactions: 1 user

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
I have 2 acres that over the years have some low spots that water puddles in and years of my driving my tractors over it has all sorts of bumps and ruts. The grass grows pretty decent on the 2 acres but I hate cutting it as I am jumping out of my seat on my zero turn.

I have a 72" power rake, 72" tiller, box blade, land plane - the works. I had thought to Just get some top soil in the low lake spots - and power rake up the rest of the area to level it out and grade it a bit to get rid of the bumps. And just add grass seed, hay and water it. My one neighbor says I should kill off the entire two acres - take the grass off and start new. I was hoping not to do that much work. It doesn't have to look like a gold course, I just want the bumps out.

Power rake to level with adding in top soil where I have to and seed - or kill it all off and start new? What kind of problems will I have it I just power rake it smooth without taking off the existing grass? Fence was temporary for the dogs will be coming out this spring. This is one side to give an idea
Good looking GSD you have there.👍

From the pics it’s hard for me to see the low spots…is it too much to till the low areas pack and seed? Or thinking about the whole patch? If it’s holding water, I’d probably fill in, and grade/blend in and re seed.

If your GSD is anything like my two (they poop like horses and either one can wear out a scoop shovel) I’d show it where you need the fill. 😉

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
'easy' way..
Get yourself a heavy roller, 4' wide minimum. Fill in the low spots, roll, refill, roll again,top dress,seed, LIGHT roll ONCE......repeat for al the low spots.

'better' way..
till the whole 2 acres
LEVEL the whole 2 acres
heavy roll the whole 2 acres...
seed the whole 2 acres..
lightly roll the whole 2 acres...

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Have some top soil brought in. Rake dirt in with landscape rake. Holes will be filled in and area will be level. Existing grass will do fine.

1712455649425.jpeg

Reactions: 2 users

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
With the high cost of seed, I would try to preserve as much as possible. I would fill the low spots and then roll until firm and continue to fill until it is slightly higher than the surrounding areas. It will eventually sink a little. Fertilize and plant new seed. I would also lime as much of the field to help strengthen the existing grass. I like 10-10-10 for fertilizer, especially since it is one of the least expensive. I used to use 19-19-19 but the cost has become prohibitive. I just bought 800 pounds of "barn lime" powder from Tractor Supply for $4.99 a 50-pound bag. It is lime powder and I use my drop spreader to put it down.

Reactions: 1 user

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
Have some top soil brought in. Rake dirt in with landscape rake. Holes will be filled in and area will be level. Existing grass will do fine.

View attachment 125804
This is what I did to my lawn last year, just covered the whole thing with topsoil, but not very thick, except where I had low spots. Then spread level, over seed, fertilize, and roll to pack down. Most of the existing grass grew through the topsoil and the seed filled in the spots where grass was thin or had low spots. The transformation to a full, level lawn with thick sod was nearly complete within 4-6 weeks. I would not tear out your existing lawn.

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
The grass you have looks pretty healthy. I wouldn't go destroying that to start over. I'm with @D2Cat on this. Get some dirt and rake it in. Roll it. Maybe repeat if it's still too bumpy. Then seed and straw (not hay!) the whole thing.