1st tractor

Gary

Equipment
L2800 HST 4x4,la 463 loader ,Woods Hc 60" rotary cutter,60" tuffline 60 box blade
Oct 17, 2009
Arkansas
I just got my first tractor. L2800 HST 4x4 with la 463 loader. I am new to tractors in general so I have a few questions. How steep is to steep to be going up? Pucker factor is not all that reassuring. I read the owners manual and did not see what degree would be max.

When adding weight to the box blade how much weight should be added? I can get 2 inch thick steel. I don't want to get to much weight and make learning how to use this any harder than it already is.

Any advice for a new orange tractor owner is appreciated.
Good site with allot of information.

Theekillerbee

Jun 28, 2009
Pleasant View UT, USA
Sounds like that will be a good machine for you. Going up and down hills is usually not much of a problem. You can really get them pretty steep, however side hilling is where the real pucker factor is at. I've not had the opportunity (knock on wood) to tip one over just yet, but I've been on some hills where the proverbial skid marks were left behind!

eserv

Equipment
BX24, A1000 Kubota Generator
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
thekillerbee is right! your tractor will almost climb the side of a barn! sidehills are a different story though! specially when, like you, there is a loader. keep that bucket low if you are on any amount of slope. As for weights, put enough on to do the job but it IS a small tractor 200lbs should be enough back there. Do you have fluid in your rear tires?
Ed

Theekillerbee

Jun 28, 2009
Pleasant View UT, USA
Good call on the rear tire ballast eserv! It will help you have a lower center of gravity, thus making it a little harder to tip over, and it will improve your traction! You can do it easily yourself with a little 50/50 mix of water and washer fluid, and a hose adapter, or you can take it to a tractor/tire service center for some bio ballast, which is about 30% heavier than the 50/50 mix, and runs about $4 a gallon. There is a great writeup here on ballasting your tires. You'll still want a little weight on your scraper to help it get a better bite though. I agree that 200 pounds should be more than sufficient.

eddie

Oct 17, 2009
ottawa ontario
i just took delivery of my first tractor as well. it seems to be a really solid machine and it has already saved me hours of time doing chores...i graded the driveway (600 ft of gravel) and pulled the dock out of the river (which usually takes me all day with a come-along) in just an hour or so. i look forward to learning something from this forum...thanks for doing it. btw i bought a B2620 with a loader, a rear blade and a front blower for the snow.

eddie

Gary

Equipment
L2800 HST 4x4,la 463 loader ,Woods Hc 60" rotary cutter,60" tuffline 60 box blade
Oct 17, 2009
Arkansas
Thanks for the replies. I try to keep side hilling to a minimum. I have heard of the liquid in the rear tires but have not talked to anybody that has done it to there tires. I'll have to search the diy on that. I am going to try the 200 hundred pounds on the box blade. I was thinking more around 400 or 500 pounds so I would have had to much. Thanks again for the information.

stuart

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B7001 with loader & tiller, 3 point hitch and 4' rear blade
Aug 9, 2009
Aldergrove, BC, Canada
If I recall correctly, the specs for the B7001 indicate that the 3 point lift arm capacity is 1000 lbs at the end of the arm. I was really surprised it was so high, but i have much to learn about these beasts. I think that is more than the factory weight of the entire tractor (450 kg).

With that kind of a weight attached, and no front end loader, I think the front wheels would be in the air, more like a dragster.

eserv

Equipment
BX24, A1000 Kubota Generator
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
There is considerable difference between the lift capacity and the recommended implement weight. remember, the lift must be able to lift the implement when it is engaged in the ground also!
I have to continually remind the sales people in the dealership I work in of this fact. They seem to want to sell mowers and tillers that are much to heavy for the tractor. also keep in mind that the lift capacity is at the pin holes, a whole different geometry comes into play when the center of gravity of the implement is 4 or 5 feet behind the tractor! This applies to loaders also, Kubota loader model numbers signify the weight capacity of the loader in KGs. That is, a LA463 loader for example is rated at 463 kgs max lift at the bucket pins WITHOUT a bucket! put a bucket on there along with a aftermarket cutting edge (at the front edge!) and maybe a big old grapple and suddenly I start getting calls that the loader won't lift the big round bale that the #%@& salesman said it would! Kubota's are the best tractors but even they have their limits.
Ed