1999 B2400 Hydraulic issues...at a loss.

McDonald49

Equipment
Kubota B2400 w/ LA351 FEL
Apr 11, 2021
Lyles, TN
I recently inherited my grandpa's tractor. 1999 B2400 HST. Has a LA351 FEL. It sat indoors for some time, roughly 3-4 years. The issues I'm having are hydraulic related. 3 point is slow but lifts box blade. Have no other attachments to know if it struggles with weight. FEL has okay speed at full RPMs, but boom up and down can't lift a half bucket of dirt. Curl seems great, fast and lifts tractor off the ground. Once ran for a little bit, I assume when fluid is warm everything slows drastically down. But here is the most obvious concern to me, and I don't think it's normal. No hydraulic will work unless power steering is engaged. Tractor can be full rpm and nothing will move until I put pressure on steering/wheels. I'll have to turn and hold to raise/lower anything. I'm thinking my issue lies with that. Here is all what I've done to make zero progress. Replaced all hydraulic lines. Rebuilt all cylinders on FEL. Drained and replaced fluid with Kubota super UDT2. Replaced filter. Cleaned filter screen. Checked relief spring under seat. Seemed clean and replaced oring. Replaced all orings on control valve. Replaced all quick connect fittings. Glad I did all this but tractor acts the same as before any work. Hydraulic fluid is leaking from underneath where I believe the power steering is located. Can't pin point leak though. I'm working in buying a test gauge as I know that's vital to own with this equipment. Thanks for reading and appreciate any and all help I may receive. Thanks

Reactions: 1 user

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
Did you replace the rubber hose between the suction pipe and the hydraulic pump? Usually, the steering will be jerky when turning and operating the loader if the hose is not sealing and the pump is sucking in air.
If that is not the problem, check the flow divider on the hydraulic pump and the pump itself.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
You may be able to locate the leak by pressure washing the underside of the tractor and "throwing" some powder, like baby powder. in the area and keep an eye on it. The powder will show the leaking fluid quickly.

McDonald49

Equipment
Apr 11, 2021
Lyles, TN
I have not replaced that hose nor inspected it. I will today when off work. I also ordered some new orings and bushings for the hydraulic pump. Figured rebuilding wouldn't hurt anything. And I will clean with gunk and see if I can pinpoint leak. Needs a good wash anyway. Thanks for input y'all.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
#1 You need to do a full fluid and filter change.

McDonald49

Equipment
Apr 11, 2021
Lyles, TN
From original post...“Drained and replaced fluid with Kubota super UDT2. Replaced filter. Cleaned filter screen". Was the very first thing I did. Old fluid was clean, filter was fine and screen was clean.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
From original post...“Drained and replaced fluid with Kubota super UDT2. Replaced filter. Cleaned filter screen". Was the very first thing I did. Old fluid was clean, filter was fine and screen was clean.
Yep missed that post...

BobbyK

Equipment
1995 B2400
May 20, 2018
Petrolia, Ontario
Is there a possibility the lines have somehow been attached to the wrong port?
Here is how my lines are connected on my B2400.

Last edited:

McDonald49

Equipment
Apr 11, 2021
Lyles, TN
Did you replace the rubber hose between the suction pipe and the hydraulic pump? Usually, the steering will be jerky when turning and operating the loader if the hose is not sealing and the pump is sucking in air.
If that is not the problem, check the flow divider on the hydraulic pump and the pump itself.
I've pulled and inspected rubber hose between suction and pump. In good shape, no abrasions. Pulled apart flow divider, clean. Re installed per Service book. Issue still remains. Most likely the pump right? Would you recommend rebuilding, or replacing brand new. Or pulling with inspection for obvious defects. Seals should be arriving by the weekend. Thanks again for your time.
Also Dead center under motor is where leak is dripping. I'm sure gravity is doing it's part and around pump is very grimey. Nervous to take a pressure washer to this area, especially knowing something is open to the elements.

McDonald49

Equipment
Apr 11, 2021
Lyles, TN
Is there a possibility the lines have somehow been attached to the wrong port?
Here is how my lines are connected on my B2400.
Same as shown above. Luckily I have all original manuals including one for the LA351. And all hoses are attached how the book has them. I'm thinking it has to be the pump since it's all the hydraulics and steering that are weak. Looking at my grandpa's old notes appears he rebuilt the pump a few times. Maybe something underlying there. Hydraulics are a new game to me. But I'm enjoying this process as I'm learning alot.

BobbyK

Equipment
1995 B2400
May 20, 2018
Petrolia, Ontario
I guess once you get the pressure gauge you were talking about it will give you a better idea of what direction to go

McDonald49

Equipment
Apr 11, 2021
Lyles, TN
UPDATE: purchased pressure gauge. Had 800 psi at deadhead. Replaced loader control valve. Pressure increased to 1100 psi. Rebuilt pump. Slight difference but pressures the same. Replaced all relief springs and factory shims. Changed nothing. Replaced hydraulic pump with brand new one. Problem solved. Set relief to factory psi.

I still have two issues left and curious if anyone can help or where to post. First is power steering box is leaking at 4 point cover. I assume it's the oring but from what I've read you do not want to open this up? What would a guess on Kubota price to rebuild.
Second issue. At decline. 5 degrees or greater the 2400 chugs out. I can back up anything, climb anything with no issues. But if I drive down my driveway is stalls out and I have to level to start again. I've replaced fuel, fuel filter, orings in shut off housing. Ran diesel kleen, pulled all fuel lines and cleaned/ replaced as needed. Replaced lifter pump, and air filter. Ohm'd out all safety switches, And made sure oil was at correct level. Still stalls out at slightest downhill. Tractor has 302 hours and sat the last decade pretty much. Replacing glow plugs next as it struggles to start sometimes and puffs some white smoke at start. Thanks for all the help.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
Re your chugging out, the symptoms scream fuel delivery.

Owners have confirmed this with a temporary fuel supply plumbed right into the injection pump. A big squeeze bottle like a mustard one was once the favorite. Motor boat tanks with a bulb to prime have been used as well.

The goal in this is to confirm it is a fuel delivery problem with the minimum of effort.

There have been owners posting about their tractor cutting out when their petite wife cuts grass on slopes.

The seat switch is very sensitive and with this women a slight slope reduced the pressure on the seat switch and the safety systems kicked in and shut the engine down momentarily.

The steering box/controller has expensive seals inside. One is $145.

It is not the seals you can see because those are only to keep dirt out.

Dave

McDonald49

Equipment
Apr 11, 2021
Lyles, TN
Was Thinking, if I'm leaking oil at back of drain Pan Seal. Could this be my fault for downhill shut off? Tractor is on down hill slope. Oil is pushed to front. Air is pulled through leak at pan and loses oil pressure. Kills tractor...
Ordered a new seal to replace regardless but wanted to see if my logic is right. Thanks

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
Was Thinking, if I'm leaking oil at back of drain Pan Seal. Could this be my fault for downhill shut off? Tractor is on down hill slope. Oil is pushed to front. Air is pulled through leak at pan and loses oil pressure. Kills tractor...
Ordered a new seal to replace regardless but wanted to see if my logic is right. Thanks
Tractor low oil pressure system either turns on "idiot" light of gauge needles drops. Both depend upon operator to notice.

There is no automatic low oil pressure shut down

Dave