1975 L175 Transmission Rebuild

jcyphert

Equipment
1975 - L175
Sep 26, 2011
shippenville
First time visit, First time post! Awesome forum!!!

I'm the proud new owner of a 1975 L175. My father managed to bust some teeth off the input shaft so he gave it to me... Now I just have to fix it. :(

I got the shop manual from I&T. It seems pretty straight forward but wanted to ask the experts for any advice before I get started. It looks like I have to pull the transmission apart in both the front and back of the tractor.

The only part that looks bad are the teeth on the input shaft or Main Shaft as some call it. Should I also replace the gear (don't know its name) that engages the broken teeth? It doesn't appear to have any damage but didn't want to tear it down that far to realize I should have replaced both for a better mesh.

I was also wondering if anyone knows a place I could get these parts for a reasonable price, Used or new.

Thanks-

Jamey

birddogger

May 29, 2011
Pittsburgh
part that looks bad are the teeth on the input shaft or Main Shaft as some call it.
If it is the exposed part of the shaft; that end fits into the clutch disc. I'd replace it (clutch) since the tractor is split, which is the hard part.

If the missing teeth are on the inside of the tranny, I don't wanna think about it, chunks of metal laying loose in a tranny just gives me the heeby-jeebies.

jcyphert

Equipment
1975 - L175
Sep 26, 2011
shippenville
If the missing teeth are on the inside of the tranny, I don't wanna think about it, chunks of metal laying loose in a tranny just gives me the heeby-jeebies.

Yike! That's not what I like to hear! It was turned off immediately after the gear stripped and I could not see ANY damage on any of the other gears. I hope everything is okay... Thanks for the info on the clutch too! I'll price it out.

PS I LOVE the picture of the Vizsla! Looks just like mine.

Orange Tractors

Equipment
L175 w/Woods L59, Allis Chalmers WD
Jul 19, 2009
Butler, MO
To me the input shaft is the one outside the transmission that the clutch rides on, providing input power. The mainshaft is the one that the input shaft connencts to, usually by a sliding coupler inside the transmission, with several gears riding on it.

I am with birddogger on this one, at least tear it down far enough that you can inspect the inside of the case to make sure there aren't any extra pieces laying inside.

If the meshing gear is easily removeable, clean it up good and inspect it under a good bright light, magnafluxing it for cracks wouldn't be out of the question.

There is not much worse than tearing a piece of equipment apart again to fix something you know you should have done the first time.

Robert

P.S.

Be sure to check your reverse gear while your transmission is apart, the aftermarket ones run about $80.00, and it would beat having to do another teardown.

R

Last edited: