B7100HST Growling when clutched....

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I've got a B7100HST that has a belly ache just above the belly mower!

I bought it, as is-where is. The head was off, radiator was missing, tires held air. I loaded it on the trailer and had a PU bed of side curtains, hood, exhaust, box of bolts....

It's back together, running now. I mowed a couple of hours last Sunday to see if it was going to fail.

I am not familiar with HST machines. Tractor shifts into LOW PTO fine, and shaft turns. Does not shift into HIGH PTO cleanly. When the clutch is pushed down there is not complete dis-engagement. (I have the cover off by the HST filter and can see the shaft turning.) If I push a tad bit further I get a growling noise with vibration. When I look at the shaft down by the filter is seems out of round. There's a wobble there.

I can reduce the engine RPM and nurse the clutch to get engagement and dis-engagement, but something is far from normal functioning.

I'm ready to separate and discover, but wonder if others had similar noise for their HST, and what they found.

I extend my thanks to NIW for coaching and encouragement, and kubotasam's input also.

Attachments

Last edited:

Grumpy560

Equipment
1979 B7100D 4WD with B219 loader/ 3 G6200 HST mowers/ JD 310D 4X4 backhoe
Oct 18, 2014
Estill Springs TN,
My B7100 did exactly what yours is doing. It turned out to be the pilot bearing in the end of the crank coupled with a worn throw out bearing. I replaced both while I had the beast apart and all vibrations are gone.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 27, 2014
Well, with the help of folks on here, and wisdom and encouragement from North Idaho Wolfman I got this thing to mow.

Engine turned out fine. Don't really know what the compression is because the Harbor Freight Compression tester is suspect. Had injectors out and tested for pop off pressure and spray pattern. Made sure GP's were working. Air filter looked like it wouldn't let air through it. Replace the air box cover and cap under the cover. Got a radiator with shroud from North Kentucky Tractor.

Separated the engine and replaced the pilot bushing, seal under flywheel, shaft to hydrostatic transmission, the seal at the bell housing, the seals in the throw out bearing holder, throw out bearing, "U" joint at the back end of shaft with new roll pins and wired in to make sure they stay.

While the deck was off I welded cracked spots where previous owner neglected any maintenance.

Tightened bolts holding the wheel clamps.

Installed a new seat. Probably a tad too big, but it is nice.

Now starts right up, shifts nice, mows excellent.

Attachments

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Outstanding,,, and if you don't like that seat I ll ahhhhhhhhh trade the one off the BX for it :rolleyes:

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
D2cat,

when you find the time - slide them rears wheels out a bit more, even though you have no FEL , the width will help you out big time! I have the same machine -the fenders split on the centerline of the rear tires, side hills are a lot easier on the ol pucker factor!!!
O - and niccccce seat !!!

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 27, 2014
I didn't think about wheel width. Not much clearance with mower wheel there, but there might be room for some outward adjustment.

There were so many ailments I forgot to check wheel clearance when I had them off. The entire front of the tractor was covered with a layer of dirt glued on with oil. The problem----- oil sending unit leaking! A $15 repair, someone chose not to make, just put up with the leak.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Congratulations on another successful repair :D That seat looks nice and comfy :D