Extending a 22ft deck over trailer by 3-1/2 ft.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I have to haul the MX and flail to a job this afternoon/evening so had to wrap up a few things. I got the pallet forks cut down so that the rear of the deck sits flat on the ground. I also managed to get all four bolts through the stake pockets and trailer frame and nuts installed.

I welded up the top flanges of all of the C-channel cross members and will get to the underside later. I finished up all the welding under the deck with the exception of the deck to the frame. I made it much harder for myself by putting the deck plate on before doing all of the vertical up welds. I did a bunch of overhead welds too and am ok with how it turned out.

I don't need the extension to haul the MX and flail but I can put the bucket on and have lots of room to move the load around. I do need to weld on the CURT load leveling hooks at some point but will need to add plate inside the I-beam web area.

33.jpg

34.jpg

35.jpg

36.jpg

• Love
Reactions: 4 users

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Nice welds. (y)
Thanks.

I towed the MX and flail yesterday afternoon for a 4-1/2 hour job, and the trailer worked well other than incorrect tongue weight on the way out. It's not fun when the tongue weight is too light for the load. I rolled the bucket back and got the tractor further forward for the return trip and it was a lot better. I have to say, the reduction in deck angle is an improvement for sure.

Here's the hefty MX with much of the weight sitting on the extension. I have a bit more welding to do before I haul the M6060 and folding cutter to my friend's place. I ran out of ER70S-6 welding wire so need to pick up some more. I have two rolls of flux cored wire and plenty of 6011 and 7018 rods but need wire regardless.

6.jpg

Reactions: 2 users

Tarmy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2800, BH76A, FEL,box scraper
Nov 17, 2009
Lake Almanor, Ca
Thanks.

I towed the MX and flail yesterday afternoon for a 4-1/2 hour job, and the trailer worked well other than incorrect tongue weight on the way out. It's not fun when the tongue weight is too light for the load. I rolled the bucket back and got the tractor further forward for the return trip and it was a lot better. I have to say, the reduction in deck angle is an improvement for sure.

Here's the hefty MX with much of the weight sitting on the extension. I have a bit more welding to do before I haul the M6060 and folding cutter to my friend's place. I ran out of ER70S-6 welding wire so need to pick up some more. I have two rolls of flux cored wire and plenty of 6011 and 7018 rods but need wire regardless.

View attachment 133337
You still have that scale I sold you? Hope it is still serving you well…

Nice posts on the extension…love the attention to detail…

Reactions: 1 user

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Man you do NICE work !!!!
When you figure out 'THE' position for the tractor, take a picture and print a copy, store in the truck.
Do that for all the 'combinations' you have to haul. That way, it's EASY to SEE the proper place for the load.

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas
Any of the Marker Lights or reflective tape need to be moved to the rear?

Looks like the original configuration had them on a rear 'bumper', but don't know if they required for regulations in your State or DOT?

The extension was a great idea. Nicely done.

Reactions: 1 users

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
You still have that scale I sold you? Hope it is still serving you well…

Nice posts on the extension…love the attention to detail…
Yes, I still have it thanks to you. :) I haven't used it for a while but it's good to keep around. I was in a rush yesterday to get on the road so didn't take the time to get the tongue weight sorted. I wish I had easy access to a scale so that I could get accurate weights of various pieces of equipment. If you don't know the weight, you can't figure out what the tongue weight should be.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Any of the Marker Lights or reflective tape need to be moved to the rear?

Looks like the original configuration had them on a rear 'bumper', but don't know if they required for regulations in your State or DOT?

The extension was a great idea. Nicely done.
Thanks very much. $600 or so rather than a new trailer seemed like the best way to go.

You make great points. I do plan on adding red and white, DOT approved tape to the end of the deck, but I might have to grind off the "diamonds" first. I'm not planning on moving the lights rearwards.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Man you do NICE work !!!!
When you figure out 'THE' position for the tractor, take a picture and print a copy, store in the truck.
Do that for all the 'combinations' you have to haul. That way, it's EASY to SEE the proper place for the load.
Thanks. :)

I took a picture of the MX on the trailer this morning before unloading it. I do need to make some notes on where equipment has proven to ride well. I probably should have backed the tractor on the trailer to give me more options in placing the load.

The big test, and reason why I extended the trailer, is coming up later this week.

1.jpg

Last edited:

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I stopped by the local welding store this morning with the intent of buying some MIG wire. I ended up walking out with MIG wire, hard and soft grinding discs, and another Metabo 4-1/2" angle grinder that's made in Germany. I've had a DeWalt angle grinder for decades but it's finally on its last legs so time to upgrade. I like having two grinders, one with a hard disc and one with a sanding disc.

My friend works there and gave me a discount on the grinder, but it was still a $300+ hit.
There's so much in that store that I want but I have to put my blinders on. 😂 My friend is no help. He could lock the door when he sees me pulling up in the parking lot.

• Haha

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
looks great. (y)

Curious…What make truck is that in the background of your last photo?
Thanks.

It's a Stewart & Stevenson M-1078 made in 1998. It has a 6.2L fully mechanical Caterpillar diesel engine, a 7-speed Allison transmission, it's AWD and weighs around 17,000lb unloaded. It's rated for 2.5 tons in the bed. When I picked it up at the docks in Seattle it only had 4,500 miles on it. Now it's a little over 5,000 miles.

Last year I designed and made a 3" receiver for it so that I can pull trailers around with it.

lmtv_m1078_3.jpg

lmtv_m1078.jpg

lmtv_28.jpg

• Love
Reactions: 3 users

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Nice! (y):love:

Son-in-law's brother named his first daughter Taome… that would work for your truck too!

The Apple Of My Eye...

The color is a good compliment for your orange tractor...:)

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
Thanks.

It's a Stewart & Stevenson M-1078 made in 1998. It has a 6.2L fully mechanical Caterpillar diesel engine, a 7-speed Allison transmission, it's AWD and weighs around 17,000lb unloaded. It's rated for 2.5 tons in the bed. When I picked it up at the docks in Seattle it only had 4,500 miles on it. Now it's a little over 5,000 miles.

Last year I designed and made a 3" receiver for it so that I can pull trailers around with it.

View attachment 133448

View attachment 133446

View attachment 133445

That is Kick Ass man!

I remember the post for that hitch too.

Nice machine!!!!

How many gallons to the mile does that get?

• Haha

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
That is Kick Ass man!

I remember the post for that hitch too.

Nice machine!!!!

How many gallons to the mile does that get?
Somewhere in the 8 to 12 mpg range when the fuel filters aren't clogged. When they're turned into overlanders with heavy boxes on the back and lots of gear, the fuel consumption is more like 6 mpg. It has a 60 gallon fuel tank so a range between 480 and 720 miles in my current configuration.