BX24 ran out of oil!

lynnmor

Equipment
B2601-1
May 3, 2021
Red Lion
An engine getting stuck due to rust or getting stuck due to lack of lubrication are two entirely different things. If metal was displaced from running with no oil there is no snake oil that is going to make it right again.

Reactions: 3 users

Thunder chicken

Equipment
M7060
Dec 29, 2019
Northern ontario
I dont think theres enough good info here to draw a good idea on what may have happened..... but, checking the oil should also include the thought that not only are you checking for oil, but also checking for 'too much' oil from a coolant, or fuel leak into the engine and you should do it at least every so often!

lmichael

Equipment
Kubota G2160
Apr 23, 2021
Rockford IL area
Re, question about who checks their oil on vehicles, and machinery? Whenever my Kubota is parked in the garage, the hood goes up and stays up in and a bag of repellent is placed up on top of the battery and in the engine bay. In an effort to keep critters out. Next time the unit is operated, repellents are removed and oil is checked.
Re, my cars (both Toyotas so not nearly as important) but, after owning a vehicle awhile you "get to know it's "habits". Both are kept on strict adherence to 5k OCI with recommended oils. Though neither one (2011 Toyota Highlander V6, and 2020 Rav4 Hybrid) has ever touched a drop between changes, I will still check poke my head under each hood at least every 500-800 miles. Check fluids and just make sure all is well.
I just cannot in my head figure out how someone does NOT do this simple act occasionally to their cars or equipment (unless like Lubolt you really hate it :D) I don't hate my stuff (and even if I did I would not do that LOL).
OP, if you do follow the advice of trying some type of penetrant in the cylinders If you try to use the starter to crank it over be sure to leave the glow pugs OUT or the engine could be hydro locked and now you have another "issue".

Reactions: 1 user

Hkb82

Equipment
M7060, Ford 5600, can-am defender
Nov 17, 2021
Ontario Canada
Running an engine "out of oil", is like a living creature "out of blood".

Incomprehensible to me.

Good luck. Your lack of checking the oil may have cost you the tractor.

Apathy these days is ridiculous. I'll give it too you without fear of being just being another sheep. Ya done screwed up, Sir. Check the oil!
Northwoods you have good info and input some good ideas and knowledge on this forum but wow do you ever like to kick a person when they are down. This is just one comment of many I’ve seen lately. You posted you were finished with us a while ago and done with social media. However I’ve noticed you never stopped commenting on posts. Hope you didn’t stick around just to make other feel like poop. Op obviously understands he messed up. No need to keep telling him that 3 pages later.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
I agree, but it doesn't seem like the engineers should allow that situation to happen ... either.
I’m fairly confident the Owners Manual specifically instructs to Check Oil Level prior to operation.

IMG_2425.jpeg

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Gentlemen, I don’t believe it wise to suggest someone put liquids in the cyls who indicates they haven’t much mechanical experience with engines… At least without also instructing them How to Evacuate that MMO before attempting an engine rotation or start. If he doesn’t have end-of-life with that engine from it seizing due to lack of oil….. he certainly can complete the destruction by rotating it with cyls full of MMO. :poop:

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users

hagrid

Lifetime Member

Equipment
K1600GTL, ZX-14R
Jun 11, 2018
Pittsburgh
An engine getting stuck due to rust or getting stuck due to lack of lubrication are two entirely different things. If metal was displaced from running with no oil there is no snake oil that is going to make it right again.
*Rislone has entered the chat

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
It would be interesting to get more information. I'm sure the OP 's description " It strains to turn over but doesn't fire. First there's' a clicking sound, then it strains to start, but doesn't." tells HIM everything, but it isn't clear to me. "strains to turn over but doesn't fire" suggests to me that the engine is turning over, but slowly, since "firing" is what happens after an engine spins. "First there's' a clicking sound" The clicking might indicate (as mentioned) the fuel pump sound or the starter solenoid, or the GP relay? "then it strains to start, but doesn't." without a good description of what "strains to start" really means isn't useful.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
To 100% clarify the situation,
You ran the engine out of motor oil?
How did you determine this?

Reactions: 1 users

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
It would be interesting to get more information. I'm sure the OP 's description " It strains to turn over but doesn't fire. First there's' a clicking sound, then it strains to start, but doesn't." tells HIM everything, but it isn't clear to me. "strains to turn over but doesn't fire" suggests to me that the engine is turning over, but slowly, since "firing" is what happens after an engine spins. "First there's' a clicking sound" The clicking might indicate (as mentioned) the fuel pump sound or the starter solenoid, or the GP relay? "then it strains to start, but doesn't." without a good description of what "strains to start" really means isn't useful.
Chim, I fully understand your discussion. If I say I usually take the shortest route to work how often is usually and what is the shortest? Some folks just are NOT specific enough to help them solve a problem. ;)

Last edited:

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
'strains to turn over' could also be lousy battery cables....... :confused:
agree we need an 'updated report of current conditions'.
The more we know, the easier it should be to solve.

John T

Equipment
2017 BX23S
May 5, 2017
under a rock
He hasn't been back since the first post... so he is either in the garage tearing it apart or we all just got our pants pulled down,

I'm thinking the latter....

Reactions: 2 users

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
heck, I'm still wondering WHO has actually READ the owners manual !:)
I'll admit to it. For that matter, I've read fully read each manual for each tractor even though the last 3 have been pretty similar. When I service the tractor, I copy the appropriate pages and use them as a checklist so the manual stays clean. I'm anal and forgetful:)

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
My take - he came, he asked questions, he got lots of "you sound like a moron" responses, and went away to never return.

But assuming he does return, the information that would be useful to give an answer would be:

1. When you say it was out of oil, what does that mean? Zero oil? Low oil on the dipstick? All the oil pouring on the ground from a hole in the crankcase? In my experience it's pretty hard to get a machine entirely out of oil without something bigger wrong (which you'd normally mention), so perhaps "out of oil" didn't really mean out of oil, it just meant low oil

2. When you say "strains to start" does that mean it's turning over, but perhaps just not fast enough to fire? is that something it was doing before (has the starting been getting gradually harder), or something else? This could point to an electrical fault, weak battery, corrosion, or failing starter.

3. When you say it stopped running, what does that mean? Does that mean it stalled, that it maybe cut out (like if a safety switch was activated - perhaps you lifted out of the seat by accident?), or was it accompanied by grinding and other noises that sound like something seizing? If it just stopped, with no funny noises, perhaps it's a safety switch issue.

4. When it stopped running, you started it again at least once. What was that like? Did it start easily, did it crank slowly, did it make unusual noises?

At least one possible answer is that he has a safety switch problem, and the oil story is just something he noticed when he was trying to work out why it wasn't working. And the oil just means "low oil, so I put some more in", which isn't the end of the world.

Another possible answer is that the machine was entirely empty of oil (a leak, or a filter loose, or a drain plug fell out), and it was running with no lubrication. It stopped running, he started it again, then it stopped again, and in the meantime it's ground up some internals and made a mess.

Really the information we have is insufficient to tell us which, so there's no point piling on talking about how stupid you'd be to run a tractor with no oil. It's not even clear he really did that, and if he did run it with no oil at all, that's more likely because something leaked it out - which may have (probably would have) happened during operation, rather than being something that was like that at the start of the day.

Just for the record, I check my oil when I service - about every 200 hours. Yes, the manual says you should check it every time you use the machine. It also says I should retorque the bolts on my wheels, and I don't do that either. I do however grease regularly. I'd be surprised if anyone actually checks their oil every day, unless they know their machine is prone to losing it all. You'd notice if your machine had managed to burn up all the oil (it'd be running pretty funny), or leak it all out (there'd be a big puddle on the ground).

Reactions: 1 users

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
yes, this is another 'It'd be nice to be there, to SEE what the situation is' and shows why supplying as much information as possible is important. Paul's list is a great start. I'd add is battery properly recharged, how old are the battery cables, is it inside ,out of snow and rain ?

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I'll admit to it. For that matter, I've read fully read each manual for each tractor even though the last 3 have been pretty similar. When I service the tractor, I copy the appropriate pages and use them as a checklist so the manual stays clean. I'm anal and forgetful:)
As unbelievable as it may seem......
I actually have TWO workshop manuals for my L48 TLB!
One here in Florida......for attempts to answer L48 TLB OTT questions....in Winter.
One with the tractor,..... in NE.....for when it might need Summertime fixin!

• Love

NorthwoodsLife

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B7100(sold), Kubota LX2610 Cab
Oct 15, 2021
Wisconsin
Northwoods you have good info and input some good ideas and knowledge on this forum but wow do you ever like to kick a person when they are down. This is just one comment of many I’ve seen lately. You posted you were finished with us a while ago and done with social media. However I’ve noticed you never stopped commenting on posts. Hope you didn’t stick around just to make other feel like poop. Op obviously understands he messed up. No need to keep telling him that 3 pages later.
You're right. Sorry, OP. And to my OTT fellow K owners.

Lack of maintenance is a pet peeve of mine.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Sooo….. How many of us actually, religiously check the oil dipstick before Start…?
I check oil regularly on all my vehicles and machines but not before every start. I've owned and driven vehicles for 40 years and never once broken down or run an engine with a low oil level so I must be doing something right.

I've only broken one engine in my life and it wasn't running when that happened.