Is there any reason NOT to get R1's?

mcp

Sep 11, 2013
Virginia
Looking at a L3800. I believe that R1's would probably be a good fit for me. Tractor will mainly be used to remove snow from (and maintain) 1/2mi gravel driveway, and mowing a few acres (non yard). Occasional use in the woods. Our property is wetter than most I'd say, during most of the year except summertime. But not swampy by any means.

My main tire concern is traction clearing the snow, and from what I've read here...the R4's don't provide near what the R1's do.

Would there be any reason to get R4's, or am I right in my thinking?

Thanks in advance :D

Fredhargis

Equipment
B2920, FEL, BH, MMM, tiller, grader, snowthrower
Jan 7, 2011
Waynesfield, OH
R4's would be more puncture proof in the woods, I would think. I use them for snow removal on my 500' gravel drive, and have no problems; but when I bought the tractor I also envisioned using it to mow the lawn. I did for a year, then bought a zero turn. The R4's really made the lawn rough. That said, I doubt you can get a tire that does everything, and the R1's may be just the ticket for you.

olthumpa

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L275
May 25, 2011
Maine
For your described usage R4's would be good for one thing. That would be for someone else to laugh as they watched you sit in one place and spin all 4 tires. R-1 Ag tires are the way to go for traction.

Just my opinion, you will get others that prefer R4's.

mcp

Sep 11, 2013
Virginia
Thanks guys.

Any recommendations on if I should set them out, and if so how far to set them out? L3800, 66" front bucket is what I'm looking at. From what I've read, seems like widening the stance should be a good thing. Thanks

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
R4's would be more puncture proof in the woods, I would think. I use them for snow removal on my 500' gravel drive, and have no problems; but when I bought the tractor I also envisioned using it to mow the lawn. I did for a year, then bought a zero turn. The R4's really made the lawn rough. That said, I doubt you can get a tire that does everything, and the R1's may be just the ticket for you.
Dad has R1's on his tractor, and 90% of the time, it is in the mountains. We have only had one puncture that I can ever remember.
R1's do good in snow, but not ice. Then again, not much does. Chains work better on turfs, but you didn't mention using them. For what you have described, I don't believe you will regret your choice.
Welcome to OTT from another VA member!

Bluegill

Equipment
L3750DT Shuttle, L3800DT FEL both
Jan 11, 2012
Success Missouri
Thanks guys.

Any recommendations on if I should set them out, and if so how far to set them out? L3800, 66" front bucket is what I'm looking at. From what I've read, seems like widening the stance should be a good thing. Thanks
Set the rears all the way out. That puts the outside tire width at around 60". More stable and still not too wide.

BTW, Great choice in a tractor!

TripleR

Equipment
BX2200, BX2660, L5740 HSTC, M8540HDC and some other tractors and equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
I can't offer anything new, I run Ag as well as Industrial, for the uses you describe, I would go Ag/R1.

Benhameen

Equipment
2012 Kubota L3800 HST W/FEL and 1963 JD 2010 row crop utility
Jan 27, 2013
Southern IL.
I run the R4s but I mow my yard with my tractor. Otherwise, I would have the R1s.

The L3800 is a great tractor in my opinion, you'll love it if that's what you decide to go with.

Welcome to the forum, there is lots of useful information on here.

Benhameen

Equipment
2012 Kubota L3800 HST W/FEL and 1963 JD 2010 row crop utility
Jan 27, 2013
Southern IL.
I run the R4s but I mow my yard with my tractor. Otherwise, I would have the R1s.

The L3800 is a great tractor in my opinion, you'll love it if that's what you decide to go with.

Welcome to the forum, there is lots of useful information on here.

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
R-1's aren't really going to give you much more traction in snow unless the ground underneath is not frozen. Both tires will sit and spin on frozen snow and ice. Because the R-4 has more rubber to ground contact, in slippery sticky snow it will spin more. Adding tire chains for snow removal would be the most beneficial. The R-1 tire will give you better traction in soft ground conditions, but will also leave more tracks and tear up more than the R-4's. So you need to decide which benefit is more important to you.

KenKubota

Equipment
M7040 & loader
Sep 15, 2013
Oberlin Oh
R-1's will work better in all conditions including heavy snow. The big disadvantage is faster wear on pavement and they tear up the yard or field.
I run them on a M 7040 in woods and I have not had a flat. My other Tractor had R4's and bush hogging the same ground did get a few flats from thorns.