Why Not A B26 “Commercial Grade” ???

konakid

New member
May 30, 2016
12
0
1
Kailua Kona
I’ve had a JD 1025r for 8 years. Not unhappy, but really need more power (loader lift and BH power). But I also need a smaller nimble tractor. - no bigger than a B2601 or the JD 2025 series. The B2601 lifts a little more than the same size JD, but the difference isn’t super exciting.

But the B26 is just a tad bigger than the B2601. And i could live with that given the extra power, build, weight, and stance it provides. But no bigger than that. With hydraulic thumb and 3rd function kit for a grapple, it would stand up to the very hard lava, huge trees, and corrosion situation here in Hawaii, and be a real work horse.

I know, it is expensive. But I can rationalize and afford the extra cost of the B26. Equipment like this hold their value here, and at 76 this will be my last tractor - so I want to do it right.

Only Deere and Kubota are available here on my island with service options. So, the strongest best “smaller” tractor would be the B26 - since I don’t want anything bigger framed than that.

Aside from the much higher price tag, is there anything that should steer me away from this tractor? I know it is a 15+ yr old design, and I would think Deere or Kubota should offer a newer model offering similar size and power someday. But time isn’t on my side.
 

PoTreeBoy

Well-known member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
3,970
2,463
113
WestTn/NoMs
Aside from the much higher price tag, is there anything that should steer me away from this tractor? I know it is a 15+ yr old design, and I would think Deere or Kubota should offer a newer model offering similar size and power someday. But time isn’t on my side.
You probably know this, but the B26's loader is not a removable design. Probably not an issue unless you mow in close quarters or plan on a front snowblower or similar.
 

JasonW

Well-known member
Jan 29, 2015
895
602
93
Al
You probably know this, but the B26's loader is not a removable design. Probably not an issue unless you mow in close quarters or plan on a front snowblower or similar.
Probably not a lot of snow blowing goin on in Hawaii.
 
  • Love
Reactions: 1 users

konakid

New member
May 30, 2016
12
0
1
Kailua Kona
You probably know this, but the B26's loader is not a removable design. Probably not an issue unless you mow in close quarters or plan on a front snowblower or similar.
I should have clarified that no mowing is involved ever. And I would only be swapping out for a grapple or another skip steer type attachment.
 

PoTreeBoy

Well-known member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
3,970
2,463
113
WestTn/NoMs
I phrased it like that because there seems to be some confusion at times between a B26 and a B2601. Those in the know realize that the B26 is what they call a commercial grade machine as opposed to “homeowner” type compact tractors.
The TLB's, B26, L47 and M62, are in the Construction series. Until it was recently sold, my dealer didn't deal in excavators, skid steers, or TLB's. Sometimes I go in and say L35 and get L35what?
 

Grandad4

Active member

Equipment
1949 Farmall M, previously owned: L 4610, BX 2230
Apr 5, 2016
446
195
43
Greensboro, NC
If the B sized Kubotas aren't quite enough and the B26 is going to drain too much out of the old bank account, and if you haven't already done so, you might look into the LX series or the lower range L models. Maybe they could give you more power and weight on a little bigger chassis without such a big jump in cost.

That B26 is pretty impressive though.
 

Caden

Active member

Equipment
1979 B7100
Apr 16, 2026
344
193
43
Virginia
it would stand up to the very hard lava, huge trees, and corrosion situation here in Hawaii
I don't know what a "huge tree" is in Hawaii... but I wouldn't off-hand say you will be digging through hard lava or moving huge trees. Its still just a compact tractor, not an excavator.
 

konakid

New member
May 30, 2016
12
0
1
Kailua Kona
I don't know what a "huge tree" is in Hawaii... but I wouldn't off-hand say you will be digging through hard lava or moving huge trees. Its still just a compact tractor, not an excavator.
It’s more like moving and placing bigger rocks and heavier logs that I just can’t move now, along with larger loads of dirt/gravel and cut firewood in bins on uneven ground and in sometimes tight locations. I am tempted to try stuff that is beyond the safe capacity of the little !025r, and I’ve been too close to that line too often.
 

PaulL

Well-known member

Equipment
B2601, MX5200.
Jul 17, 2017
2,806
1,795
113
NZ
By all reports it's a great machine. If you can't go any bigger and you want a more robust machine, then yeah, that's the one.

The refresh on the design is kind of irrelevant. Most of the features they come out with on the refreshed ones are sort of meaningless, and the mechanicals stay very similar from generation to generation.

If you can afford it and want it, I'd just buy it.
 

konakid

New member
May 30, 2016
12
0
1
Kailua Kona
By all reports it's a great machine. If you can't go any bigger and you want a more robust machine, then yeah, that's the one.

The refresh on the design is kind of irrelevant. Most of the features they come out with on the refreshed ones are sort of meaningless, and the mechanicals stay very similar from generation to generation.

If you can afford it and want it, I'd just buy it.
Thanks - that’s the info I was trolling for. Since I’ve been in the “Green Camp” since my first tractor, I haven’t been following all the other brand’s forum talk that can uncover troublesome models or just things I should be aware of when spending that much money.

In other words, I just asking if there were any obvious red flags out there on this model.

I appreciate all the feedback. I already have some other questions about spacers and/or extra ballast for more stability, but I will wait until after I take delivery - which it looks I will do. Just not sure how long it will take to get one here.

Thanks again