I'm running a l4802 and am completely new to both tractors and gardening. I'm looking to manage 1-2 acres of garden, along with some pasture, I'm looking at the king kutter 5.5' with 18-20" discs, I'm in soil that has a good amount of clay, with a decent amount of organic material and some sand. Should I go bigger? Smaller? I've seen posts saying get slightly smaller than the width of the tires, and posts saying go slightly larger, so I'm a bit confused. I've also seen people say get adjustable angle ones, and others not mention it...
Sizing a disc depends upon many factors aside from tractor weight and HP.
What do you plan to do? Pulling a finishing disc through plowed ground takes more HP and tractive effort than pulling the same disc over unplowed ground.
More than likely, a KK disc will be a light weight disc designed for finishing rather than cutting. Accordingly, it should pull much easier than a heavier cutting disc, suitable for working unplowed ground.
Not familiar with your tractor but guessing that it has over 40 PTO HP. If so, and you have decent R1 tires, you should be able to pull a 6' KK disc through just about anything. Probably a 7' one if not too heavy for your tractor.
I would recommend referring to the Implement Size recommendations in your tractor's Operating Manual.
FWIW, most pull type discs cut better and pull harder than most three point mounted discs.