Hammer blade replacement question on the LP2572 flail.

JMitchell

New member

Equipment
2019 MX5400
Jul 4, 2024
13
3
3
Big Island Hawaii
One of our operators got a wire welded fence caught in the flail. I decided to remove the blades sharpen and balance the pairs.

Looks like the torque setting is 75% of 210 = 157lbs. Seems like a lot. This is per their manual. Assuming a grade 8.
Specifies Hex Top Nut Lock 5/8-11 PLT.

Can I purchase this nut anywhere with these specs or should I purchase only for land pride?

I was planning on matching the weights of the pairs and not balance to the lightest hammer.

Any learning curve tips that you guys might have learned that would be beneficial?

Thank you,
John
 
Last edited:

Runs With Scissors

Well-known member

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
4,106
5,551
113
Michigan
There are some things that I will “cheapen out” on…..and sleep very well.

For instance, I have no problem buying Vevor hammers and Harbor Freight pry bars (or Vise versa)……..

HOWEVER, those F’ing hammers flying around at Mach 3 would make me buy “factory designed” replacement bolts…..I have no special insight or knowledge though….Just my “opinion"

I vote to get the factory stuff (y)
 

mikester

Well-known member

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
4,145
2,836
113
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
If the bolt is marked grade-8 then a replacement bolt from a reputable brand/supplier should do the trick.

Amazone doesn’t qualify as a reputable supplier.
 
  • Like
Reactions: 1 user

JMitchell

New member

Equipment
2019 MX5400
Jul 4, 2024
13
3
3
Big Island Hawaii
Thanks for your reply. Good call.

The motivation to balance the blades came from a video I will attach.

Have any of you had your gearbox bolts come loose. Will tighten and use a thread locker. In the BEGINNING of the video you can see it jump around. The top bully was doing the same until I adjusted the tension on the bolt and this may have caused the vibration to begin with. The washer you align with the opening was about a 1/4" below the sight line. The previous operator may have loosed the belt to get the wire out of the barrel. Anyway once tightened the vibration in the pulley seemed to subside. I was checking this when I noticed the gearbox was loose.


JM
 

JMitchell

New member

Equipment
2019 MX5400
Jul 4, 2024
13
3
3
Big Island Hawaii
Thanks for your reply. Good call.

The motivation to balance the blades came from a video I will attach.

Have any of you had your gearbox bolts come loose. Will tighten and use a thread locker. In the BEGINNING of the video you can see it jump around. The top bully was doing the same until I adjusted the tension on the bolt and this may have caused the vibration to begin with. The washer you align with the opening was about a 1/4" below the sight line. The previous operator may have loosed the belt to get the wire out of the barrel. Anyway once tightened the vibration in the pulley seemed to subside. I was checking this when I noticed the gearbox was loose.


JM
 

JMitchell

New member

Equipment
2019 MX5400
Jul 4, 2024
13
3
3
Big Island Hawaii
Do most guys balance their blades when sharpening. Tolerance is 5 grams or less. Seems like the grass that gets caught in the hardware the bolt passes through would be more than 5 grams. I have one pair that is 14 grams different due to a good size nick. I understand the importance of balancing per opposing 180 degree pair. I was thinking of weighing each blade and pair up with the closest weight.

JM