Bucket Teeth

In Utopia

Equipment
L175 FEL
Apr 21, 2013
Utopia,Tx/Pasadena,TX
Anyone ever built and had success with removable teeth for their FEL?
Need something to do a better job of scratching loose hard packed caliche with my L175.

Last edited:

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I bought bolt on teeth for a 4672 Kubota backhoe and put them on my bucket. I went with bolt on so I could remove them but I have never had the need as of yet. Alot of the guys put tooth bars on, I don't know which would be better. I couldn't be happier with mine the way it is. :D

Attachments

In Utopia

Equipment
L175 FEL
Apr 21, 2013
Utopia,Tx/Pasadena,TX
Could you point me in the right direction for those? The'll be used on my L175

I'm seeing a lot of different ones.

Last edited:

cerlawson

Equipment
rotiller, box scraper,etc.
Feb 24, 2011
PORTAGE, WI
Why not make your own?

If you look at the last post, you see a bar of steel attached via "ears" back into the sides of the bucket, with a bolt there. Then, all you need to do is weld onto that bar what ever you can lay your hands on for teeth. make sure that the teeth extend back far enuff to fit under the bucket lip and add a few clips on top to go over the top of that lip.

I cut up some fence posts and used them for teeth. With a 26 HP tractor I'd have to guess hundreds of yards of hard clay and hard-pan have been dug and handled. About 5 building sites have been prepared on steep side hill country, plus many other jobs.

When not needed, just unbolt it.

If you do not have a welder, well, for the price these days, and owning a tractor, you are missing out on what can be made to use for varying jobs. A stick welder will do a lot.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Could you point me in the right direction for those? The'll be used on my L175

I'm seeing a lot of different ones.
Go to your Kubota dealer and tell them you want bolt-on bucket teeth for a Model 4672 Kubota backhoe. I'm sure they were used on others but I had a 4672 myself and I know for sure these will work. I had to do a small amount of grinding to make them fit but they have worked perfect. A tooth bar may be just as good but I have never used one myself so I can't say. I know the teeth work and a big plus to me is they can be replaced one at a time if needed.

In Utopia

Equipment
L175 FEL
Apr 21, 2013
Utopia,Tx/Pasadena,TX
What is Kubota asking for the bucket teeth?

I've got both a stick machine, and a MIG, but sometimes it's cheaper to buy ready made than get materials to scratch make.

The price is right since cost is a factor. $300+ is a lot more than I was wanting to spend.

Just called the orange guy. Pin type $12.86, bolt type $42.00.
Can't see why the pin type with a grade 8 bolt wouldn't work unless these are just caps that go over an existing stub.

Think I'm going with these.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bucket-Teeth-Bobcat-Style-6728247-888-/230592400205

Last edited:

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I got my teeth from the Kubota dealer and they were either $25 or $27 ea and they came with the bolts. I know they are higher than the ones on e-bay but one difference I see is the Kubota teeth slide over the cutting edge and fit tight to the bucket. All the bolts do is hold the tooth in place for the most part. Another thing from what I can tell they wear very well. I have had mine on the loader bucket for a good while and they are still almost like new. That is a great price on the ones you found and they may work just as good. If you do get them let us know how they do.

In Utopia

Equipment
L175 FEL
Apr 21, 2013
Utopia,Tx/Pasadena,TX
What is Kubota asking for the bucket teeth?

I've got both a stick machine, and a MIG, but sometimes it's cheaper to buy ready made than get materials to scratch make.

The price is right since cost is a factor. $300+ is a lot more than I was wanting to spend.

Just called the orange guy. Pin type $12.86, bolt type $42.00.
Can't see why the pin type with a grade 8 bolt wouldn't work unless these are just caps that go over an existing stub.

Think I'm going with these.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bucket-Teeth-Bobcat-Style-6728247-888-/230592400205
I got my teeth from the Kubota dealer and they were either $25 or $27 ea and they came with the bolts. I know they are higher than the ones on e-bay but one difference I see is the Kubota teeth slide over the cutting edge and fit tight to the bucket. All the bolts do is hold the tooth in place for the most part. Another thing from what I can tell they wear very well. I have had mine on the loader bucket for a good while and they are still almost like new. That is a great price on the ones you found and they may work just as good. If you do get them let us know how they do.
I saw that, and my first thought was to take some old "T" post stock (real old time stuff from the 50's) and weld it on the top to sort of clamp the tooth on.
Wonder why the difference in pricing, plus they are not a stock item in the Houston store I called.
Monday I'll check another source out in the country.

Last edited:

rparkinson

Aug 23, 2012
Northport Maine
This is something I have been thinking about- adding a tooth bar to my L3200. It seems like they would make a heck of a difference in digging. I dont have a hoe, just the fel. Is it worth the 400 bucks? Seems like a foolish question, I just have never used one on a fel.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
This is something I have been thinking about- adding a tooth bar to my L3200. It seems like they would make a heck of a difference in digging. I dont have a hoe, just the fel. Is it worth the 400 bucks? Seems like a foolish question, I just have never used one on a fel.
I can't say anything about a tooth bar but the 6 teeth I put on my bucket make a night and day difference. The ammount of extra digging force is about like adding another 20 hp to the tractor. IMHO they are worth every penny.

DonDC

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L35 TLB, B7001, FEL, Rototiller, Snow Plow
Oct 23, 2012
Nanaimo, BC, Canada
The one advantage for me with the tooth bar is the bar that the teeth are mounted on adds some strength to the bucket edge for digging. Less chance of bending the cutting edge if you hit something solid like a large rock at a bad angle. Also if you want to remove the teeth in order to use the flat edge of the bucket for grading etc. it is a 5 min job to remove it. For me the cost of the tooth bar was money well spent. Keep us posted on your progress.

BotaDriver

Equipment
L3800dt
May 15, 2013
North GA
I had the opportunity to use a bobcat bucket with teeth on it, and even though it was about 400lbs more in weight than the factory 66" bucket, it made a huge difference in the ability to get work done. Adding teeth is a MUST-DO. It's really a tremendous difference.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Is it worth the 400 bucks? Seems like a foolish question, I just have never used one on a fel.
4' tooth bar shipped for $250...... off in less then 5 mins.