I'm a rookie, could use pro advice. Need a belt diagram

jkenned70

Equipment
B7100 1980 4X4 With Kabota Bush Hog and Blade
Jun 24, 2013
Elmira, NY
I cant find a belt diagram for my kabota bush hog on the back of my 1980 B7100 4X4 tractor. A stick popped it off and my brush will come back too thick for me to maintain if I don't get that dang belt on. Unfortunately, I have ZERO CLUE how to run the belt through all of the wheels. Being that it's from 1980, i have no literature. Ugh, any help would be great. I definitely have about 5" of slack on the only way I can see to run it....which is clearly just wrong.

I searched the forums and couldn't find any for my tractor....any help would be most appreciated for the rookie.

GWD

Equipment
M7040, L48 TLB, BX2200
Jan 8, 2010
Northern California
If you have a model number, serial number, or photo to post then those would help quite a bit to get a resolution.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
He must be using a rear mount finishing mower, a bush hog has a gear box and no belts whatsoever.

jkenned70

Equipment
Jun 24, 2013
Elmira, NY
Its a bush hog not a finish mower. Wow , thanks for the quick help ! Awesome forum!

Attachments

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Its a FINISHING mower NOT a bush hog you have! This is what a bush hog looks like

Last edited:

bandaidmd

Equipment
B2620 w/LA364 FEL ,BH65, ssqa , 1982 B8200E w/BF300FEL
May 19, 2013
Middle of DELMARVA
The routing diagrams are usually on the under side of the belt covers.

When trying to figure the routing remember that the three blade pullys are designed to have quite a bit of belt in contact with them and the flat pulleys are for the back of the belt.
looking at your picture im going to call the drive wheel (big one) at 6 oclock and the center blade 12 oclock
take the belt off the 1oc pulley and let it go directly from the 3 blade to the 12 blade then retract your spring and drop your belt back over the 1 oclock idler. I will try to draw a picture.

GWD

Equipment
M7040, L48 TLB, BX2200
Jan 8, 2010
Northern California
Hmmm...you may have something there with that diagram.

It looks like the frame of the deck has some rub marks where the paint is rubbed off where the belt goes from the pulley at 12 o'clock to the pulley at 1 o'clock.

Maybe the OP can see other rub marks to verify where the belt has gone in the past.

To the OP: Thanks for the photo. It helped determine that your mower is a

1. finish mower (a "bush hog" style doesn't have belts (usually) and has a large central blade with "stump jumpers")
Note: An exception, my "bush hog" has 2 large blades but no belts but rather 3 gearboxes. See below.

2. 3 blade mower

3. rub marks shown

4. the photo definitely helps the mind to work to find the routing

Hope it works.

Attachments

Last edited:

jkenned70

Equipment
Jun 24, 2013
Elmira, NY
This forum is great! Thank you gentlemen. As soon as the lighting stops ill try it out and report the results. I kept referring to it (incorrectly) because thats what everyone told me it was. Does this mean i should avoid small sticks and brush thats attempting to regrow???? Dang, I hope i didnt buy the wrong equipment for the job.

freewheel3

Equipment
MX5000DT LA852, BX1800D, B6000DT, B6200HSTD, B7100HSTD, L185, T1700HX, ZD1211
Mar 9, 2013
Alberta
Its a bush hog not a finish mower. Wow , thanks for the quick help ! Awesome forum!
By looking at the pic it appears to me that the belt routing is correct but the belt appears to be too long. Maybe it got stretched when the stick was lodged in there? Are the belt tensioner(s) on springs or are they on slots? Maybe there is room to tighten the belt some more?

Big Kahuna

Equipment
Kubota 2000 L3010 HST with Loader ,1992 B7100HST , 1979 B6100E & 2007 F2880
Dec 23, 2011
Homer City, Pa.
Your mower is a B348-6, made by Hesston for Kubota, and yeah I'd mow sticks and twings and over growth with it, I did when I had one, they are not the best grass mower in the world, but fields they do just fine.

Big Kahuna

jkenned70

Equipment
Jun 24, 2013
Elmira, NY
By looking at the pic it appears to me that the belt routing is correct but the belt appears to be too long. Maybe it got stretched when the stick was lodged in there? Are the belt tensioner(s) on springs or are they on slots? Maybe there is room to tighten the belt some more?
Belt tensioner has a spring. Pretty sure i only saw one of them. A fella earlier mentioned and drew a diagram for routing, which ill try at some point. After this lightning leaves burdett:

bandaidmd

Equipment
B2620 w/LA364 FEL ,BH65, ssqa , 1982 B8200E w/BF300FEL
May 19, 2013
Middle of DELMARVA
Its a FINISHING mower NOT a bush hog you have! This is what a bush hog looks like

Actually Bush Hog is a brand name of company that makes attachments for tractors. The one you pictured is called a rotary mower. You seem to be a stickler for this sort of thing so I'm surprised you didn't know that.

jkenned70

Equipment
Jun 24, 2013
Elmira, NY
I cant thatnk you gentlemen enough! Im all set (for now) !!!! I truly appreciate people taking the time to help strangers. Id happily send anyone on this thread a/v cables for their time at zero cost. I used to run a website for a/v peripherals but gave up. (Teacher by trade)
I fully believe in paying it forward. Please let me k ow if I can return the favor people!

A million thanks!
Jared kennedy

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Actually Bush Hog is a brand name of company that makes attachments for tractors. The one you pictured is called a rotary mower. You seem to be a stickler for this sort of thing so I'm surprised you didn't know that.
YES I'm fully aware of that but the broader generic term for a rotary cutter/mower is a bush hog.

Do you call them Band-aides or adhesive strips?

Or is it Velcro or hook and loop closures???

jkenned70

Equipment
Jun 24, 2013
Elmira, NY
YES I'm fully aware of that but the broader generic term for a rotary cutter/mower is a bush hog.

Do you call them Band-aides or adhesive strips?

Or is it Velcro or hook and loop closures???
Eric, I think that was the mistake I was making. You called me out on the same thing. Regardless, I'm grateful. I'm trying to learn and realize its a ways off until Im comfortable.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Eric, I think that was the mistake I was making. You called me out on the same thing. Regardless, I'm grateful. I'm trying to learn and realize its a ways off until Im comfortable.
Wasn't trying to call you out but rather help you make clear of what piece of equipment you owned. Not only for your knowledge but if anyone happens to look this post up in the future they too will know what they have.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Does this mean i should avoid small sticks and brush thats attempting to regrow???? Dang, I hope i didnt buy the wrong equipment for the job.
It depends on the job you need to do!

The mower you have appears to be a mower with three blades that probably overlap and appear much like any lawn mower blade (hole in the center and cutting edge at both ends, blades about 1/4 to 3/8 thick). These will cut grass and weeds well and can clear some smaller saplings (less than 1.0 inch diameter?). The grass will be fairly well shredded by the time it leaves the mower deck. If the grass is very tall (12+ inches) it will clog the mower and the outlet - probably. You will probably be limited to 5 or 6 inches cut height. As your mower has, most are belt driven to some degree.

A rotary cutter is less of a lawn mower and more of a shredder (they are also known by the name shredder and slasher as well as brush hog) that will cut grass and saplings up to a few inches in diameter (depending on the size and the duty of the equipment). The blades on these attach to a rotating arm or disk under the deck. The blades have one hole at the end and one cutting edge, blades are about 1/2 to 3/4 thick and pivot around the bolt if they hit the "immovable object". There is usually one central rotating disk with two blades 180 degrees apart. The larger decks will have two or three sets of blades on two or three rotating disks that are located across the deck. They generally do not shred the grass too much and leave a fairly rough looking cut and some visible debris behind. They will cut fine blade grass and also cut fairly thick grass. One common use is to cut the fields after harvesting corn and similar crops where stalks remain after harvest.

If you have mostly fields with grass you will be fine. You may need to cut the larger saplings down by hand and make sure the stumps are below the blades of the mower.

If you are trying to clear paths through saplings and undergrowth then you may struggle.

Last edited: