Dave

3800david

Equipment
L3800, 66" quick disconnect FEL, BH77 Backhoe, 42" pallet forks, box blade
Jun 2, 2013
North Carolina
Just had a BD (66th) and after a lot of soul searching ordered myself an L3800 66" quick disconnect, BH 77 with 16" bucket, and 42" pallet forks. Turning 1 1/2 acres new ground recently by myself with my Ford 3000 that I've had for 25 years and digging 70 stumps with a box blade, axe, and shovel convinced me I need help (in more ways than one). So I hired a new hand to help me, Mr. Kubota. My new tractor will arrive next week, and I'm like a kid at Christmas. I think my wife is tired of hearing me sing "Happy birthday to me" over and over. Gone will be the back aches from sitting on the 3000 for hours at a time, and shoulder pain from no power steering. I'm convinced I'll be a better husband, father, and will go to more church socials.
I'm thankful to have found these forums and already you guys have answered many questions I have.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
I've looked into buying a Ford 3000 as an extra tractor of larger size to tackle more jobs. I'd love to have one with a FEL. Just seems rare as hens teeth to find a 3000 with a loader.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Welcome Dave :D and just remember we love pictures,, Yeah getting a little long in the tooth too and any help is better than no help,,I think you got a lot of GOOD help now,, Congrads

Benhameen

Equipment
2012 Kubota L3800 HST W/FEL and 1963 JD 2010 row crop utility
Jan 27, 2013
Southern IL.
Welcome Dave, I had a similar story, I had been using a JD 2010 that I rebuilt for years. I still have it as it was my grandfathers tractor and I have so much money in it I will never come out ahead.

I'm still amazed at how much faster I get things done now. 70 hrs on mine since January and I'm still like a kid at Christmas.

Enjoy!

Uncle PaPa

Equipment
Kubota 2320 front loader mid mount mower 72" York rake
Jun 2, 2013
Ohio
I think getting a new tractor made me feel like a kid again. I've gotten more work done this week than I was able to do in the last year. I looked for months before getting mine and finally pulled the trigger and was told they would have it to me in a week. I just smiled and said ok, but I was really thinking " a week holy moley that's 7 compete days. What am I going to do for 7 days. Should I offer them another 100 bucks now? No ill offer to pick it up! No I'm gonna go home and wait patiently" It arrived and I wish there more more days in the week really getting a bunch of work done. Going to get fuel tomorrow ans I think I might stop and buy a new orange t-shirt. I love that color now

Dune33

Equipment
L3800, 72 kk mower, 48" tiller, plastic mulch layer,
Jun 14, 2012
Wyoming, MN, USA
I sold my littel L1500 was a champ, i somtimes miss her, i got the L3800 #6 with loader and forks,but this spring we got the bug and decided we needed a new house, so with the help of #6 i loaded the contents of my 34x40 workshop and 1/3 of the house contents into a 45' trailer for storage and sold the house in 7days, and mover into a rental house because new house is not built yet, #6 with the forks lifted all but the Bridgeport.
so now on the weekends the tractor and i take the short trailer ride to the new lot to work the garden and work on grading the sand, i made a land plane and seems to be working great except i need to fill the tires, im just resisting because of the cost, and i wish i sould add weights on the R4s, Dune

3800david

Equipment
Jun 2, 2013
North Carolina
I've looked into buying a Ford 3000 as an extra tractor of larger size to tackle more jobs. I'd love to have one with a FEL. Just seems rare as hens teeth to find a 3000 with a loader.
I don't remember ever seeing one with a FEL on it. Granted my 3000 has been a workhorse, and I'm having a hard time thinking about parting with it. I found a new hood for it and had great plans to restore it but work kept getting in the way. Now that I'm retired (from a regular job) who knows??
We've done a powerful lot of work together through the years. It's a tough tractor, and I haven't been easy on it. Case in point, I recently ripped the metal which holds the middle scarifier in place while ripping up a stump. It was then I realized that it was foolish trying to do a job with equipment not designed to do it, hence the backhoe.

3800david

Equipment
Jun 2, 2013
North Carolina
Welcome Dave :D and just remember we love pictures,, Yeah getting a little long in the tooth too and any help is better than no help,,I think you got a lot of GOOD help now,, Congrads
Pics to come as soon as I get my baby delivered(hopefully next week), and can figure out how to upload them. I want several taken from my box stand with my L3800 in the fields I plan to plant around August/September for my Deer in the Fall. Missed my window on soybeans 2 weeks ago when my 3000 started running hot. Looks like she may need a new radiator!

I'm amazed by the wealth of knowledge in this forum, and the guys willing to share it. Thanks to all for the comments and welcomes!

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
I've been looking at both a 2000 and 3000 and have seen a rare few with a loader on them of some sort. A few have popped up here and there on Ebay and Tractor House.

If you're battling with alot of stumps maybe you should check into a stump grinder for the tractor. Get the right tool for the job and stop busting up the wrong tools.

3800david

Equipment
Jun 2, 2013
North Carolina
I've been looking at both a 2000 and 3000 and have seen a rare few with a loader on them of some sort. A few have popped up here and there on Ebay and Tractor House.

If you're battling with alot of stumps maybe you should check into a stump grinder for the tractor. Get the right tool for the job and stop busting up the wrong tools.
These are small pine stumps, about 40 or so left, and avg 8-10" dia. Speaking of the right tool, hopefully my L3800 will be delivered next week and I'll gradually introduce the remaining stumps to my backhoe. I have read many posts here on new tractor break-in, and from what I've read, will need to pace(not baby) my 3800 on digging the remaining stumps out. Looking forward to getting the feel of my new tractor. Got time to have ground ready for fall planting.
I have a friend who's owned a 3000 diesel for years. He acquires and sells all sorts of attachments as a hobby - He's been doing this for a few years (He's 80 years old) so he has some contacts. I'll ask him concerning an FEL equipped 2000/3000.

3800david

Equipment
Jun 2, 2013
North Carolina
Checked with my buddy yesterday and he said he'll keep an eye open, but he's not aware of any FEL's or FEL equipped 2000/3000's. He also said that he believed that without power steering it would be a bear to drive/handle.

Got the front end of my 3000 taken down yesterday. Stripped one of the bolts holding radiator on - got to figure how to get it out today. radiator looks good and it wasn't leaking - so I'm guessing thermostat or water pump? I should know today. Hope for the thermostat, either way It'll be fun getting those 40 year old bolts out !!!

3800david

Equipment
Jun 2, 2013
North Carolina
Sounds like you need to buy yourself a set of easy outs, Sears sells some as do other places.

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-7-pc...x000001&kpid=00952157000P&kispla=00952157000P
Eric, thanks for the link - ordered. Bolts out after plenty of PB Blaster, patience, elbow grease, and breaker bar - thank goodness. Thermostat ordered and shipped, radiator flushed, fan shroud sanded and primed.

Expecting delivery on my L3800 possibly by Friday! Will keep my 3000 as a back up for places I won't take my new tractor! Did pick up a 48" Wildkat econo mini Grapple and took to dealer who is fitting tractor with WR Long 3rd function hydraulics.
Mouth watered to see my new 3800 waiting for finishing touches.