The Great Kubota B7100HST front axle fluid Mystery

TerryKing

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B7100HST-D
Aug 18, 2024
Topsham, Vermont USA
arduinoinfo.mywikis.net
Hi Everyone, I want to do correct maintenance on my B7100HST-D .

There are several inconsistent threads and opinions and links about the front axle differentials and the wheel gear units..

I have seen photos of two different looking front axles in manuals. Mine looks like this:
B7100HST_FrontDifferentialOil.jpg

The other one I've seen does not have that long an axle case. Is It Possible that the mid-late 90's kubota B7100HST-D had a different front axle than earlier ones??

Several sources say 1QT gear oil covers both the differential (.75Q) and the two wheel gear systems (.3 Qt each). But many people have drained their axles and wheel units and found much more oil.

I just drained my first wheel unit and it had .45 Q in it. Looked dark but not bad.. Using a funnel and 1/4" plastic line I got about .3 Qt into it and then it kept needing air let out or it stopped. Messy.

Has anyone heard of all this?? What is your experience?? How did you get oil into the wheel units? (I'm thinking I need a smaller tube but some way to pump/force it??

Any comments, suggestions welcome!!

(I'll get a real Sig up soon.. got the membership//)

Regards, Terry King
...In The Woods In Vermont
The one who dies with the most Parts LOSES! WHAT DO YOU NEED??

zz

Last edited:

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
Hi Everyone, I want to do correct maintenance on my B7100HST-D .

There are several inconsistent thread and opinions and links about the front axle differentials and the wheel gear units..

I have seen photos of two different looking front axles in manuals. Mine looks like this:
Either your picture is too light or you did not attach a photo.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Terry, welcome to the forum. If you used a container like you'd get with a qt. bottle of Lucas, that works good for getting the lube in the hole. You can't force it. Fill it to the top, put the plug in and check it the next day and top it off. That fluid has to work it's way though all the components and takes time.

Reactions: 1 users

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Different tractor, but my front axle apparently doesn’t drain well.

Takes much less than rated capacity to fill each time I’ve changed it. Think 75% or so from memory.

Like @D2Cat says, fill and recheck couple times to top off as needed. Takes some time.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 1 user

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 27, 2014
Hi D2, OK I can do that.. I have the Lucas but it's a gallon :)

I'm still unsure about the amount. Several sources say .312 Qt in each wheel gear housing and some early B7100 had tags showing that amount.
Don't overthink it, just make sure it's filled to the top.

Reactions: 1 users

TerryKing

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B7100HST-D
Aug 18, 2024
Topsham, Vermont USA
arduinoinfo.mywikis.net
Hi Guys, What I did:

- Drained wheel gearbox both side:
- Drained: 0.5 to 0.6 L from each
- Filled: 0.3 L each side (Lucas 80W90 )

- Drained front differential:
- Drained out: 1.1 L
- Filled: 0.75 L

INFO: One Kubota manual said 0.7 Q differential .5 Q each side wheels

Other posts:

- ProcraftMike: " .70 for the center differential and .15 per each outside is correct (equals 1 quart total for complete change). That is what my manual calls for and that is what I drained out when I did mine a few months back." "There is a decal on both axle ends that says to add .15 qts, which I am guessing is about what came out."

NorthIdahoWolfman: "
If you notice all the numbers add up to a quart.
Pull out a tiny bit less than 3/4 of it and then split the remaining in half that's left in the bottle. ;)

NOTE: Neither fill point had oil near the top. No apparent leakage either.

OK, still looking for late info from actual B7100HST-D manual if possible.

OTHER: How to fill Wheel gearboxes. I found it VERRRYY slow to use funnel and 3/8 tubing.

I tried 1/8 ID stiff poly tubing. It went into wheel sides about 1.5 inches. I adapted up to 3/8 for the small 12V DC fluid oil pump I have I use for draining truck differentials and automatic transmissions that have no drain plug. Wow - even with the 1/8" tubing it pumped .3L into wheel gearboxes in less than 10 seconds! I LIKE that. Photos follow. (I also used it for the .75 L into the differential).

What I used: (You can just see the 1/8 tubing into wheel gearboxes)

OilFillPump2.JPG

OilFillPump1.JPG

Pump at AMaZon :

HERE

Any update / Info Welcome!!

Last edited:

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Hi RCW, Does your front axle look like my photo above. Or is it a different model?
Much different. Just a little BX.

Appears to have similar fill, but drain is different.

My only point was I cannot get all the rated capacity back in it after a drain.

I believe @D2Cat had a B7100 or similar model. I'd follow his advice.

Just a suggestion - I probably wouldn't use a pump. Just pour in what appears full today. Check it tomorrow and top off......lather rinse repeat until full to required level.

You likely don't want to overfill, as with heat expansion, you don't want to pop any seals in the front axle system and cause leaks.

Don't overthink it.....you're not building a rocket (we have a rocket scientist here ;))

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 27, 2014
Hi Guys, What I did:

- Drained wheel gearbox both side:
- Drained: 0.5 to 0.6 L from each
- Filled: 0.3 L each side (Lucas 80W90 )

- Drained front differential:
- Drained out: 1.1 L
- Filled: 0.75 L

INFO: One Kubota manual said 0.7 Q differential .5 Q each side wheels

Other posts:

- ProcraftMike: " .70 for the center differential and .15 per each outside is correct (equals 1 quart total for complete change). That is what my manual calls for and that is what I drained out when I did mine a few months back." "There is a decal on both axle ends that says to add .15 qts, which I am guessing is about what came out."

NorthIdahoWolfman: "
If you notice all the numbers add up to a quart.
Pull out a tiny bit less than 3/4 of it and then split the remaining in half that's left in the bottle. ;)

NOTE: Neither fill point had oil near the top. No apparent leakage either.

OK, still looking for late info from actual B7100HST-B manual if possible.

OTHER: How to fill Wheel gearboxes. I found it VERRRYY slow to use funnel and 3/8 tubing.

I tried 1/8 ID stiff poly tubing. It went into wheel sides about 1.5 inches. I adapted up to 3/8 for the small 12V DC fluid oil pump I have I use for draining truck differentials and automatic transmissions that have no drain plug. Wow - even with the 1/8" tubing it pumped .3L into wheel gearboxes in less than 10 seconds! I LIKE that. Photos follow. (I also used it for the .75 L into the differential).

What I used: (You can just see the 1/8 tubing into wheel gearboxes)

View attachment 136503

View attachment 136504

Pump at AMaZon :

HERE

Any update / Info Welcome!!
Don't use a pump to fill the front gearboxes and differential. You'll pump too much too fast and waste oil-----and get frustrated!!

TerryKing

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B7100HST-D
Aug 18, 2024
Topsham, Vermont USA
arduinoinfo.mywikis.net
Don't use a pump to fill the front gearboxes and differential. You'll pump too much too fast and waste oil-----and get frustrated!!
Hi, What I did was premeasure the amount I wanted and put it in into a container. Ran the pump watching the level go down (fast) and shut pump off when it was all transferred,