BX-2360 head gasket blown?

ShellKnobCat

Equipment
BX2360
Sep 4, 2019
Shell Knob, MO
My 2360 is showing classic head gasket issues. It's been running hotter than usual and I had to add coolant to the radiator. I used it today for a couple of hours and just as I pulled it into the barn it started running rough and quit. Lots of black smoke. Then when I restarted white smoke and the engine quit. The oil on the dipstick looks OK but I did notice some oil had leaked from somewhere onto the belly mower, not sure what type of oil.

I do have the service manual and a after quick look through it I think removing the head and replacing the gasket, if that's the only problem, looks to be fairly straightforward but tedious. I'm a fairly good shade tree mechanic but I've never been into a diesel engine before. Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated.

This is a high hour engine too!

eserv

Equipment
BX24, A1000 Kubota Generator
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
My 2360 is showing classic head gasket issues. It's been running hotter than usual and I had to add coolant to the radiator. I used it today for a couple of hours and just as I pulled it into the barn it started running rough and quit. Lots of black smoke. Then when I restarted white smoke and the engine quit. The oil on the dipstick looks OK but I did notice some oil had leaked from somewhere onto the belly mower, not sure what type of oil.

I do have the service manual and a after quick look through it I think removing the head and replacing the gasket, if that's the only problem, looks to be fairly straightforward but tedious. I'm a fairly good shade tree mechanic but I've never been into a diesel engine before. Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated.

This is a high hour engine too!
Not a difficult job, but you rarely get off with just a head gasket! Those engines almost always crack their heads if they have been overheated and are blowing coolant.

Reactions: 1 users

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I agree - once head is off, have it magnafluxed to see IF there are cracks that are not obvious.

How many hours are on machine????

jaxs

Equipment
B1750HST
Jun 22, 2023
Texas
It's a mystery why so many more people ask for advice after engine quits than ask after first sign of overheating.

Mountainman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501, B7100, B6000, BX24, B1750, B2400
Jul 10, 2022
Attalla Alabama
mossycreekoutdoors.com
How does the coolant look? Rarely ever is it just a head gasket. Almost always cracks the head. I recently bought one same as you describe overheated and oil on deck. Turns out it was mixing oil in the coolant and puking out the overflow bottle onto deck. And aftermarket heads are hit an miss on whether they work or not just fyi