Scored at the Metal Recyclers today

Trimley

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX23SLSB-R-1 plus additions
Jul 25, 2023
PNW-WA
I scored some angle iron today, I wasn't expecting. I had to go home and get my trailer...lol.

All 20ft sticks
1/4" × 2-1/2" × 3-1/2" = 240'
And 3/16" × 1-3/4" × 1-3/4" = 120'

$311

Unfortunately 5ft had to be cut off each set of six, because they were dragging the ground.

They were bolted together. They were 20ft high roll-up door track systems.
1000026319.jpg

Reactions: 9 users

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
Wow man. Nice score!!!!

Lots of cool projects await.

Reactions: 1 user

Trimley

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 25, 2023
PNW-WA
You can never go wrong with having that in stock!
I tell you what, buying new or remnants from local fab shops sure takes a BITE out of my wallet. Same said for getting any welding, modifications or general fabrication done, when shop rates are $150/hr. All said, doing it myself adds to my being more self reliant. I just don't have all the necessary "basic" tools for the simpler side of the hobby, yet.

Trimley

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 25, 2023
PNW-WA
Wow man. Nice score!!!!

Lots of cool projects await.
I've currently got a garden trailer I want to do some customization too, a 60 gallon air compressor/lawn roller project. An Aerator (convert to 3PH) and a 2-place aluminum snowmobile trailer I want narrowed. <-- That's going to get done by a friend. Oh, and I need to make a frame to support my 50 gallon Diesel filling cart.

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
I tell you what, buying new or remnants from local fab shops sure takes a BITE out of my wallet. Same said for getting any welding, modifications or general fabrication done, when shop rates are $150/hr. All said, doing it myself adds to my being more self reliant. I just don't have all the necessary "basic" tools for the simpler side of the hobby, yet.
I hear that!
Funny thing for me is I have most of the tools EXCEPT a welder. Lol! Usually borrow a friend's portable for stuff. We do a lot of borrowing from each other. Cheaper than both of us having everything.

Trimley

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 25, 2023
PNW-WA
I hear that!
Funny thing for me is I have most of the tools EXCEPT a welder. Lol! Usually borrow a friend's portable for stuff. We do a lot of borrowing from each other. Cheaper than both of us having everything.
I welded a lot back in the day using a buzz box. I never cared for stick welding, really. I eventually sold it, and my torch outfit. Time passed on 15 yeats or so. Then I got a Hobart 120 Handler, as my introduction to MIG. It worked OK on (up to) 3/16" but it struggled with consistency. Given that, I was losing interest again. Then one day last year I was looking through Marketplace and found a Millermatic 211 complete outfit for sale. The guy was a car buff with a passion. He was away a lot driving truck a lot. Anyway, he bought the 211 package (near $2700) and never got that purchase OK'd by his wife. She learned of it when she saw the charge on the CC. Apparently (told to me by his daughter...who sold it to me hush-hush) his wife got MAD and put it up for sale, while he was out on the road, along with a few other expensive items he'd bought without her knowing. WHOOPSIE. Anyway, I scored the whole package (not even a small spool of wire got run through it) for $1300...as I very discreetly palmed her the cash....that she was giving back to her dad...lol. To me, this 211 is like a Cadillac. I like it very much.
1000026089.jpg

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 1 users

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I scored some angle iron today, I wasn't expecting. I had to go home and get my trailer...lol.

All 20ft sticks

$311

Unfortunately 5ft had to be cut off each set of six, because they were dragging the ground.

View attachment 135108
That is a good find. I've been welding for decades and am always on the look out for steel. I would have been all over that deal. (y)

I've had a Millermatic 185 for 20 years or so, and have a Lincoln Square Wave TIG 200 which is good for TIG and stick. I prefer stick welding to any wire feeding process because of the skill required but will run solid wire or dual shield when needed. I'll be welding up steel trusses this fall for a barn build and will most likely use 7018 rod. Gas is often less than ideal outside, but if flux core looks like it'll do ok I might go that route.

drygulch

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901, LA525, ever changing attachments
May 30, 2024
Georgia
www.ebay.com

All 20ft sticks

$311

Nice investment in your future. With steel prices where they are my radar is always up.

Oddball one I couldn't pass up recently was five 4 x 12 x 1/8" nipples for $5 total.