Sprayer using ballast box

Semi-Retired Grant

Equipment
2016 BX 2670, HD 55 front blower, 4 ft Bully tiller, loader and 60 inch mower
Aug 8, 2024
PEI Canada
Hello Everyone. I have been using OTT for many years…so thanks.
I made up this ballast box sprayer yesterday and it works nice so I thought I’ll register for an account this morning and contribute back to the group.
It’s not really in a finished state.
I bought the pump from Vevor for around 80 CAD.
I may hook it up to its own battery. Right now just used a power pack. It will blow fuse on the 12 V accessory plug.
Sincerely,
Grant

Attachments

Reactions: 4 users

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Brother,

If it works - it is golden!!!!!!

Making it look pretty will not improve the flow! ;)

Set yourself up with a "separate" fuse box or relay BACK to the battery and hook some large gauge wire up to it - 15 amp fuse and it will work well.

Reactions: 1 user

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
I love dual purpose accessories!
2nd to the Hokies recommendation. Run a 10 ga wire to the battery and mount a rear fuse block. It will come in handy for the pump, lights, spreader, etc.

WI_Hedgehog

Equipment
BX2370 (impliment details in Profile-About)
Apr 24, 2024
Milwaukee, Wisconsin, U.S.A.
I like the idea also--I cleaned out the ballast box after getting it (so it's easier to move around by hand given how hard it is to get on/off a stock BX) and now that I have "stuff" to carry on the back of the tractor the box is a bit less useful...until your idea! That's awesome!!!

I hope the D-I-Y discussion branches out to equipment selection....

Semi-Retired Grant

Equipment
Aug 8, 2024
PEI Canada
Jeez thanks for the all the support and improvement suggestions…I was waiting for a comment on the trailer hitch ball on the box…I know not recommended for towing trailer with the 3PH but I don’t load it up with anything too heavy.
I have my rear wheels loaded with something like 20 gallons of windshield washer fluid so for the ballast box I just set in a few 50 lb bags of gravel or some of my sons barbell weights.
Thanks again for the words of support!

WI_Hedgehog

Equipment
BX2370 (impliment details in Profile-About)
Apr 24, 2024
Milwaukee, Wisconsin, U.S.A.
Jeez thanks for the all the support and improvement suggestions…I was waiting for a comment on the trailer hitch ball on the box…I know not recommended for towing trailer with the 3PH but I don’t load it up with anything too heavy.
I have my rear wheels loaded with something like 20 gallons of windshield washer fluid so for the ballast box I just set in a few 50 lb bags of gravel or some of my sons barbell weights.
I put the sand from the weight box in empty softener salt bags because the bags can hold the weight, are easy to move around (if around half full), and store neatly. They also load back in the bucket quickly and easily. On top the sand I load rock salt bags because a.) it's less sand to store, b.) in winter I use the salt on the driveway (though not much as evidenced on the weeds in Spring). So there really is an unused tank sprayer waiting to happen. ;)

Semi-Retired Grant

Equipment
Aug 8, 2024
PEI Canada
I put the sand from the weight box in empty softener salt bags because the bags can hold the weight, are easy to move around (if around half full), and store neatly. They also load back in the bucket quickly and easily. On top the sand I load rock salt bags because a.) it's less sand to store, b.) in winter I use the salt on the driveway (though not much as evidenced on the weeds in Spring). So there really is an unused tank sprayer waiting to happen. ;)
Well for 80 CAD (or 58 USD) for the pump and a piece of plywood, couple of bolts and wires you can have one made in about half an hour 😂
The pump comes with a base that will suck the water right to the bottom.
Great idea using sand and salt bags. We go through our fair share of that up here.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Since you use windshield washer fluid in your tires, and your in Canada, what temp rating on the fluid do you get up there?

Semi-Retired Grant

Equipment
Aug 8, 2024
PEI Canada
I used the -40 degrees C stuff, that’s pretty much the most common you get here.

S-G-R

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 17, 2020
PEI Canada
That's a great, dual use implement. What are you using for spray. Lots of
watered down choices although I heard Dawn dish soap was good for creeping Charlie. May try some in my spot sprayer tomorrow.

Semi-Retired Grant

Equipment
Aug 8, 2024
PEI Canada
I’m using it to combine fertilizer with water for blueberry, pear and plum trees around my property. It was getting tedious using my 3 gallon sprayer tied onto my dolly😀

Reactions: 2 users