Painting the Homestead

Trimley

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX23SLSB-R-1 plus additions
Jul 25, 2023
PNW-WA
Last time I painted our place was the year 2000. Behr Premium was used. In 2018 I removed all the gutters. I repaired fascias, painted them, then I had new 50yr roofing installed, then new Aluminum gutter systems. It's just my lone self doing everything, so a long and tedious process, picking things off the list of "things needing done". I've been busy sprucing the place up again. All surfaces were pressure-washed, then scraped and wire brushed where necessary. The painting, all by hand, cut-in with paint brush...then smoothed out with a 4" short-nap roller. Then two coats by roller. No drips/no runs/no foul...lol. Pictures don't do how it's turning out any justice.

I have to admit, it's turning out very nice. I've worked hard to maintain the place all by myself over the last 25 years. I'm beyond ran ragged.

The first picture shows the true colors.
1000024905.jpg
1000024864.jpg
1000024863.jpg

The Pumphouse. New door hinges are in route, then I plan to revamp the doors so they align with the T1-11. I also made new corner trims, that are currently drying, and I plan to finish boxing in the open area of the eaves with Cedar.
1000024951.jpg

I made the sign 23 years ago. It also got rejuvinated
1000024886.jpg

I'm gaining on it!
1000024974.jpg
1000024973.jpg
1000024975.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 users

Trimley

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 25, 2023
PNW-WA
Looks nice!
Thanks. I take pride in ownership. The Tax Assesor is going to be rubbing their hands together, all said and done. That miffs me fiercely too. Punished by taxation for wanting a humble abode, is how it works in my parts. I feel wrongly about how the process works.

Reactions: 1 user

Trimley

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 25, 2023
PNW-WA
Leveling and ripping, moving, widening and extending our drive and parking area with what I had for materials. My BX23S has been doing wonders for me. More to do yet, but the 13 loads of rock I hauled in ( and no tractor) back in 2007, is finally where I envisioned it being all said and done.

The rock was always somewhat spread out so we could drive over it, but it was never groomed and spread the way it needed to be.

Attachments

Reactions: 2 users

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
Thanks. I take pride in ownership. The Tax Assesor is going to be rubbing their hands together, all said and done. That miffs me fiercely too. Punished by taxation for wanting a humble abode, is how it works in my parts. I feel wrongly about how the process works.
I don’t understand. I’ve never heard of home maintenance and painting causing an adjustment in tax assessment.

Trimley

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 25, 2023
PNW-WA
I don’t understand. I’ve never heard of home maintenance and painting causing an adjustment in tax assessment.
I live in a state which punishes those through taxes, who keep their property well kept and appreciated. The home and property adjacent to mine, looks like an auto wrecking and junk yard. It's a rental. In the county I reside, this is how taxes get based. Their shithole affects my value, my value benefits theirs...if and when the owner decides he wants to clean his property up for resale purposes.

In my expressed opinion, those who want to live the way the renters do on the property next door (and everywhere for that matter) that property owner should be taxed to the NTH Degree for an eyesore.

jyoutz

Equipment
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
I live in a state which punishes those through taxes, who keep their property well kept and appreciated. The home and property adjacent to mine, looks like an auto wrecking and junk yard. It's a rental. In the county I reside, this is how taxes get based. Their shithole affects my value, my value benefits theirs...if and when the owner decides he wants to clean his property up for resale purposes.

In my expressed opinion, those who want to live the way the renters do on the property next door (and everywhere for that matter) that property owner should be taxed to the NTH Degree for an eyesore.
Who from the assessors office is keeping track of people painting their house? Every place I have lived, they go off of the square footage of the house and outbuildings and comparable market values in the area. Nobody checks on who paints their house or mows the grass. They do track new construction such as additions and new outbuildings that require permits.

Trimley

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 25, 2023
PNW-WA
Who from the assessors office is keeping track of people painting their house? Every place I have lived, they go off of the square footage of the house and outbuildings and comparable market values in the area. Nobody checks on who paints their house or mows the grass. They do track new construction such as additions and new outbuildings that require permits.
In many ways I'm be facetious. Anymore, we're being taxed for rediculous BS.

jyoutz

Equipment
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
In many ways I'm be facetious. Anymore, we're being taxed for rediculous BS.
OK. Nice job on your painting. I took the opposite lazy man approach on my house. When I had the steel roof installed, I had the fascia boards and soffit covered with colored metal. I hate house painting.

Trimley

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 25, 2023
PNW-WA
OK. Nice job on your painting. I took the opposite lazy man approach on my house. When I had the steel roof installed, I had the fascia boards and soffit covered with colored metal. I hate house painting.
I definitely do not enjoy painting. I do what's necessary as I can. The eaves of the house and garage, being enclosed, sure cleans-up the overall look and appearance. I can't imagine what materials alone would cost to do it in today's money, that 1/4" × 6" T&G #1 Cedar is not cheap. Thankfully I had/still have some stashed. My house, garage and pumphouse took approx 9 gallons. $475.00 for paint. The price compared to 23 years ago was about the same.

Trimley

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 25, 2023
PNW-WA
Ready for topping rock to finish the gravel area. Hopefully tomorrow, the rock can be delivered.
1000025832.jpg
1000025820.jpg