BX23S low pressure on one backhoe outrigger

Ciscomancer

Equipment
Kubota BX23S
Jun 25, 2024
Anchorage, AK
Hello all! I have a BX23S with the backhoe and i have significantly lower pressure on one of the outriggers. A quick visual inspection of the hydraulics on that side did not show any smoking guns, so i figured i would start by pulling, cleaning and inspecting the fittings out to the outrigger but was seeing if anyone had any sage advice before i start cracking these things open.
Thank you!

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Hello all! I have a BX23S with the backhoe and i have significantly lower pressure on one of the outriggers. A quick visual inspection of the hydraulics on that side did not show any smoking guns, so i figured i would start by pulling, cleaning and inspecting the fittings out to the outrigger but was seeing if anyone had any sage advice before i start cracking these things open.
Thank you!
How did you determine it has "low pressure" ?

If it lacks lifting force I would suspect a bad piston seal in the cylinder and I would run a test of that before taking things apart. Simple, definitive, and easy.

Dan

Ciscomancer

Equipment
Kubota BX23S
Jun 25, 2024
Anchorage, AK
How did you determine it has "low pressure" ?

If it lacks lifting force I would suspect a bad piston seal in the cylinder and I would run a test of that before taking things apart. Simple, definitive, and easy.

Dan
Lifting force, and also slower to deploy and retract compared to the other side. How would i test the seal?

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Lifting force, and also slower to deploy and retract compared to the other side. How would i test the seal?
Sounds a lot like a leaky seal. To test it:

1. Fully raise the outriger and use a strap to secure it in place.
  2. Remove the hose from the base end of the cylinder and cap/plug the port in the cylinder
  3. Remove the strap and start the tractor.
  4. Move the outrigger control lever to the raise position and hold it there.
If the seal is leaking the cylinder will extend.

If it does not extend the seal is not leaking.

Dan

Reactions: 1 user

Ciscomancer

Equipment
Kubota BX23S
Jun 25, 2024
Anchorage, AK

2. Remove the hose from the base end of the cylinder and cap/plug the port in the cylinder

Dan
Thank you! will give this a try when i get back out to the proprty this wekeend

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
yeah... I'd like to see the special wrenches 'they' have !!!
Pop the joystick cover off, 4- 14mm bolts..... good time to OIL the joysticks....

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
If you can get to the fittings, you could swap the hoses from the working cylinder to the weak one. If it's still weak, probably the piston seal is leaking

ejb11235

Equipment
BX23S, Braber BBR4G 4' Box Blade & LRM5G 5' landscape rake
Jan 20, 2022
Seattle, WA, USA

Dan
Dan--just want to make sure I undestand how this test works ... is the idea to pressurize the rod side of the cylinder ... if the piston seal is leaking the base end of the cylinder will also then pressurize but the force will be higher (because the area is larger on the base end side of the piston), causing the piston to extend?
--eric

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Dan--just want to make sure I undestand how this test works ... is the idea to pressurize the rod side of the cylinder ... if the piston seal is leaking the base end of the cylinder will also then pressurize but the force will be higher (because the area is larger on the base end side of the piston), causing the piston to extend?
--eric
Exactly!!

Dan

• Love

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
I'd suggest that you first start by pulling the cover and visibly checking the control linkages. They can get loose and misaligned. If they do, they can act as you described (with limited power).

hagrid

Lifetime Member

Equipment
K1600GTL, ZX-14R
Jun 11, 2018
Pittsburgh
I'd suggest that you first start by pulling the cover and visibly checking the control linkages. They can get loose and misaligned. If they do, they can act as you described (with limited power).
I think I have this going on as well. One stabilizer is sluggish to retract.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
I can see that slowing it down but how does it reduce power in a hydrauluc cylinder?

Dan

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
So yours is just slow not weak?

Dan
I had an issue with one swing cylinder (swinging left). It was slow and "felt" weak as a result. Issue was in the heim joint. Linkage had some slop and wasn't positioned correctly.

All I'm saying here is for OP to check those connections first and move on from there. It's rather simple to check for a mechanical issue first. These things get out of adjustment fairly easily.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
The outrigger/stab arms need to be serviced often ! Easy for 'crud' to bung up the pivots.
Pull the pins, clean them, be sure grease DOES flow in the pins, reassemble. Might 'magically' cure the problem.