BH75 Backhoe Swing Cylinder Repair

rwwhite47

Equipment
B2630TLB
Nov 18, 2013
Milton, FL
After having the local dealer repack the left swing cylinder on my BH75 backhoe, I decided to tackle the right one myself after it failed. Purchased the seal kit from Merricks and the kit has 7 components. The illustrated parts breakdown (IPB) for the swing cylinder shows 8 components. When I disassembled the cylinder, I had 6 components. I've discounted one of the large orings in the IPB, but there is a smaller oring that the IPB shows mounted between the piston and swing rod. I did not have one there.

Contacted Kubota "Customer Care" but the rep said he couldn't help and to call my local dealer. Not much chance for help there as fixing tractors is where they make money. Not helping customers fix their own.

My question is , do I install the oring as shown or not, seing as I never had one to begin with.

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
Wait. "Between the piston and swing rod"...do you mean on the outside of the cylinder rod? If that is the case, then no. They are stops for paint during assembly.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Wait. "Between the piston and swing rod"...do you mean on the outside of the cylinder rod? If that is the case, then no. They are stops for paint during assembly.
Yup!
Dat be correct!

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
After having the local dealer repack the left swing cylinder on my BH75 backhoe, I decided to tackle the right one myself after it failed. Purchased the seal kit from Merricks and the kit has 7 components. The illustrated parts breakdown (IPB) for the swing cylinder shows 8 components. When I disassembled the cylinder, I had 6 components. I've discounted one of the large orings in the IPB, but there is a smaller oring that the IPB shows mounted between the piston and swing rod. I did not have one there.

Contacted Kubota "Customer Care" but the rep said he couldn't help and to call my local dealer. Not much chance for help there as fixing tractors is where they make money. Not helping customers fix their own.

My question is , do I install the oring as shown or not, seing as I never had one to begin with.
If you're talking about H in this diagram, most of my cylinders have a small chamfer in the piston bore that accommodates it. But if you omit it I doubt you'll ever notice.

Screenshot_20240625-164508-930.png

number two

Equipment
B3030HSDC L2501HST
Mar 26, 2021
Northern Lower Michigan
B2630 was a great model tractor,kissin cousins to B3030 we have.
Premium model with tilt wheel and deluxe 3PT hitch-extenable! hook-up ends.
Position control,vs B7800 with quarter-inching valved-another popular that era.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
If you're talking about H in this diagram, most of my cylinders have a small chamfer in the piston bore that accommodates it. But if you omit it I doubt you'll ever notice.

View attachment 131472
Based on the diagram its a shaft seal at the bore in the piston.

Dan

Reactions: 1 user