BX23S won't start, safety switch?

TKDavison

Equipment
Kubota BX23SLSB-T
Sep 20, 2020
Needham, MA
Ok, I’m waving the white flag and asking for help!
Tractor wouldn’t start the other day. Engaged and disengaged PTO lever a couple of times and it started. Ran, stopped, and re-started several times since over a few days. Now won’t start again. To my novice ears, when I turn they key it’s behaving like the issue is in safety switches (battery strong, fuel pump running, fuses are good, no attemp to fire)
Checked PTO and contact w/ switch looks good (and can hear clicking as it engages / disengages when trying to start).
Same with HST fwd/bwd.
Plug connection at PTO switch looks strong.
Removed and checked both switches on seat for continuity and both seem good.
Some have pointed out two plugs under seat, but I can’t see anything like that tracing wires from above / below tractor, so haven’t removed the seat to inspect further yet.
Would appreciate any suggestions / thoughts!
-Tim
2019 BX23S

Adding quick video recording...VIDEO

UPDATE:
Huge thanks to all those who responded. After ruling out safety switches, battery, and line to starter, I ended up replacing the starter and I'm back up and running. Thanks for all the tips and suggestions!

Last edited:

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
In the electrical subfolder here, post #13 has a GREAT wiring diagram, I think from White tiger (? ) !!!

Check the small black/white(?) wire on the starter and confirm it's clipped on snugly. Mine came off one day ! I rerouted it ,added a tyrap, no problem since.

Seat switches have no effect for starting, you can stand next to tractor and turn key, she'll start fine.

Maybe move(rock ) HST pedal a bit while holding key in start position.
From what I recall power from ign switch goes to HST pedal then PTO then a 'starter relay' then actual starter

Reactions: 1 user

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Define what happens when key is in run position.

Then turn to start position what happens? Does engine spin by the starter motor and not start? Or does it not spin the engine?

TKDavison

Equipment
Kubota BX23SLSB-T
Sep 20, 2020
Needham, MA
Define what happens when key is in run position.

Then turn to start position what happens? Does engine spin by the starter motor and not start? Or does it not spin the engine?
In run position, everything on battery turns on including what I believe is fuel pump. Nothing when turning to start position except pre-heating symbol on dash comes on.
Added a video to my original post if that helps...

Last edited:

TKDavison

Equipment
Kubota BX23SLSB-T
Sep 20, 2020
Needham, MA
In the electrical subfolder here, post #13 has a GREAT wiring diagram, I think from White tiger (? ) !!!

Check the small black/white(?) wire on the starter and confirm it's clipped on snugly. Mine came off one day ! I rerouted it ,added a tyrap, no problem since.

Seat switches have no effect for starting, you can stand next to tractor and turn key, she'll start fine.

Maybe move(rock ) HST pedal a bit while holding key in start position.
From what I recall power from ign switch goes to HST pedal then PTO then a 'starter relay' then actual starter
Thanks - will check out wiring diagram and focus on starter today - tried rocking HST pedal - can hear it clicking in and out of neutral so think that's all good. Thanks for your reply!

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
hmm, the 'clicking' you hear is probably the 'starter relay' ,under the dash that feeds 'control' power to the actual starter so I'm thinking the the silly b/w control wire on the starter's fallen off.
fingers crossed !
Jay

TKDavison

Equipment
Kubota BX23SLSB-T
Sep 20, 2020
Needham, MA
hmm, the 'clicking' you hear is probably the 'starter relay' ,under the dash that feeds 'control' power to the actual starter so I'm thinking the the silly b/w control wire on the starter's fallen off.
fingers crossed !
Jay
B/W wire on the starter seems to be clipped in tight, but removed it and inspected it / cleaned it up, still no go. Ugh! Any way to test wiring to starter?

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
Apr 2, 2019
remove that b/w wire, take a jumper from the 'bare spade' to the big 12v connection.
some sparks my fly and starter will spin.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
Apr 2, 2019
either that or bad battery cables.
disconnect tractor battery( ground first, then the +ve ) and then use a know good battery, connected at the starter.
If starter spins good, then starter is good, you need to replace the battery cables.
much of 'electrical problems' is a process by elimination.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
I noticed that the dash lights stayed the same when you went to the start position on the key switch. That makes me suspicious that the starter is not drawing much power since the voltage should drop if the starter was working.

I would start with the battery cables and battery substituting as outlined above.

You can also remove the starter and take it to an auto parts store for testing to see if it is okay