Thank you CA

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
LISTEN to you guys!

You are bitchin’ about what pay other people get in meanial jobs that YOU have no interest in working.

In those discussions …it is being quoted referencing prices when many of us were back in public school!

In 1960’s I was working at a gas station for $5. In todays money that would be FIFTY DOLLARS!

If you are a “free market” supporter….It is disingenuous to complain about what another person makes. I’ll never forget what my FIL said when he discussed his union-wages: “A working man gets to decide what job he will do…and what (salary) he will do it-for…. and he can Quit whenever it suits him.”

Except for Federal Jobs / Contractors bidding on Federal Jobs…. the Federal “Minimum Wage” makes sense to me. I don’t think the Govm’t should dictate what private industry offers to pay workers however.… I think the “market will bear” what it will.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Kubota B2650 and lots of other equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
Two weeks before I started my carreer in 1974 (age 20, after 2 yrs of trade school) (also being debt free from my farm work savings and frugal living in trade school) I went and bought my first car (brand new) and rented myself a 1 BR apt for a place to live.

I'll never forget my dad's look on his face when I drove up in that new car and gave them the adress of my apartment so they could visit. :ROFLMAO: My dad thought I was nuts and would be in jail inside of a month for not being able to afford what I had just done!

My starting wage in 1974 was $4.84 per hour. Dad could not believe that and was sure I was mistaken. He was a custodian at another small town college and told me there were professors that he knew that were not making what I was starting at.

I proved him wrong. Never went to jail. Never missed a payment. But I still regret not keeping that brand new '74 Monte Carlo.

Reactions: 1 users

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Two weeks before I started my carreer in 1974 (age 20, after 2 yrs of trade school) (also being debt free from my farm work savings and frugal living in trade school) I went and bought my first car (brand new) and rented myself a 1 BR apt for a place to live.

I'll never forget my dad's look on his face when I drove up in that new car and gave them the adress of my apartment so they could visit. :ROFLMAO: My dad thought I was nuts and would be in jail inside of a month for not being able to afford what I had just done!

My starting wage in 1974 was $4.84 per hour. Dad could not believe that and was sure I was mistaken. He was a custodian at another small town college and told me there were professors that he knew that were not making what I was starting at.

I proved him wrong. Never went to jail. Never missed a payment. But I still regret not keeping that brand new '74 Monte Carlo.
I was a newly minted civil engineer in 1962.
Was offered a CE job by Peter Kewitt & Sons, for Minuteman missile silo sites in North Dakota.
Starting pay was to be $1,000 per month (1962).
That was GREAT pay!
Didn't do it though.
Went to USN flight training instead.
Much less pay,.....but a LOT more fun!

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Hell I started with Ma Bell ( A cheap mother by the way) for 3.17 cents an hour that was after almost 2 years of tech school I paid for my self, when the Bell system was screwed by the gubermint cause somebody wasnt getting a kick back, I was on the street and couldnt beg borrow or steal a job, but then being a Vet no body would hirer you anyway

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
In my state, the local established minimum wage is almost irrelevant. Fast food places are offering more than minimum wage rates in order to be competitive to attract employees in this tight labor market.

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Back in the 1960s I was making $100 an hour as a gigolo. It was hard work, but someone had to do it to keep all those women with big grins on their faces. I could have worked in a service station but the pay was too low. Wiping windshields and checking dipstick was not my dream job. Wealthy, attractive young women were more to my liking.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 3 users

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Back in the 1960s I was making $100 an hour as a gigolo. It was hard work, but someone had to do it to keep all those women with big grins on their faces. I could have worked in a service station but the pay was too low. Wiping windshields and checking dipstick was not my dream job. Wealthy, attractive young women were more to my liking.
I imagine cleaning windshields in those days wasn't always a bad job!!!

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2018
Texas
People still believe their lies, that's why Satan does so well. People are stupid.
Satan does not exist …except in the hearts and minds of stupid people.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2018
Texas
Now that you’re a lawyer what do you charge people for the same service?

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2018
Texas
A McDonalds bacon quarter pounder meal (large) and two apple pies cost me $18 and change two days ago here in Arkansas.
Is McDonalds a “staple diet” in AR?

Not when I was there. It was chicken and potatoes and cornbread and beans.

If we all calm-down and think about these things… McDonalds is a place where I NEVER eat. Their food is bland and overpriced….and that is NOT a ”new” thing. I never understood the popularity…except when my 5 yr old daughter HAD to have a “Happy Meal” …. consisting of high-priced cheap food and a cheap toy formerly found in Cracker Jack boxes.

When you stand back and think about it …Fast-Food was never cheap, ….or good for you. It was only convenient when not at home.

Marketing (mostly to our kids) has made it the most-common food consumed…and LOOK at the 42-inch waistlines that resulted.

In 1960 a McDonald’s burger was 15 cents.

15 cents in 1960 is worth $1.50 today (in fact most items can be multiplied by Ten for comparison).

This does not mean that “Inflation” has eaten up our money’s value.

It means that businesses are GOUGING…and we are stupid to go-along with it.

Just this morning TARGET has announced Price-Cuts… and even McDonald’s is realizing their mistake…they are putting out a “price-leader new menu“ which is an attempt to stick their thumb in the leaking Dike of consumer loss-of-interest.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2018
Texas

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Is McDonalds a “staple diet” in AR?

Not when I was there. It was chicken and potatoes and cornbread and beans.

If we all calm-down and think about these things… McDonalds is a place where I NEVER eat. Their food is bland and overpriced….and that is NOT a ”new” thing. I never understood the popularity…except when my 5 yr old daughter HAD to have a “Happy Meal” …. consisting of high-priced cheap food and a cheap toy formerly found in Cracker Jack boxes.

When you stand back and think about it …Fast-Food was never cheap, ….or good for you. It was only convenient when not at home.

Marketing (mostly to our kids) has made it the most-common food consumed…and LOOK at the 42-inch waistlines that resulted.

In 1960 a McDonald’s burger was 15 cents.

15 cents in 1960 is worth $1.50 today (in fact most items can be multiplied by Ten for comparison).

This does not mean that “Inflation” has eaten up our money’s value.

It means that businesses are GOUGING…and we are stupid to go-along with it.

Just this morning TARGET has announced Price-Cuts… and even McDonald’s is realizing their mistake…they are putting out a “price-leader new menu“ which is an attempt to stick their thumb in the leaking Dike of consumer loss-of-interest.
Not for me. I was just out on the road and not near the office, so I had to grab something. And McDonalds was the only place I could get the land barge in and out safely

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2018
Texas
But, Dusty…in former times when we were all less-wealthy…we’d have packed a sandwich, a little bag of chips and a piece of fruit and taken them with us to work.

What we are doing These Days is throwing money because we Have It To Throw. That is not the devaluation of money by the Gov’t…. it’s OUR devaluation of it because we have much more of it.

Reactions: 1 users

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
LISTEN to you guys!

You are bitchin’ about what pay other people get in meanial jobs that YOU have no interest in working.

In those discussions …it is being quoted referencing prices when many of us were back in public school!

In 1960’s I was working at a gas station for $5. In todays money that would be FIFTY DOLLARS!

If you are a “free market” supporter….It is disingenuous to complain about what another person makes. I’ll never forget what my FIL said when he discussed his union-wages: “A working man gets to decide what job he will do…and what (salary) he will do it-for…. and he can Quit whenever it suits him.”

Except for Federal Jobs / Contractors bidding on Federal Jobs…. the Federal “Minimum Wage” makes sense to me. I don’t think the Govm’t should dictate what private industry offers to pay workers however.… I think the “market will bear” what it will.
I did not say it was an hourly-rate. It was what I made after-school each day, It was for $1.75 hr and It was good money worth about $50 each day in todays money.
GeoHorn: I suggest that you should be working on your writing and comprehension skills because many times you will write something in a post that doesn't compute with your true thoughts. A suggestion would be for you to write the post, and then not post it for an hour or two, and then reread it before posting to make sure that what you have written is your actual thoughts. Cognitive thinking is a skill that is lost as one ages, and while I have no idea of your age, I can see in your posts that your thought processes are sometimes confusing between your printed word and what you are thinking.
But, Dusty…in former times when we were all less-wealthy…we’d have packed a sandwich, a little bag of chips and a piece of fruit and taken them with us to work.

What we are doing These Days is throwing money because we Have It To Throw. That is not the devaluation of money by the Gov’t…. it’s OUR devaluation of it because we have much more of it.
It is an accepted fact by all economists that inflation is a result of the government spending money to bolster the economy without having a way of recovering the money spent in the form of taxes. The more that people have to pay in taxes, the less that they have to spend to bolster the economy. When the government lowers taxes, and government spends less on "gifts" to the people and states, the stronger the economy. Originally our currency was backed by gold, however, the government removed gold from backing the printed money until 1971.

In August 1971, Nixon severed the direct convertibility of U.S. dollars into gold. With this decision, the international currency market, which had become increasingly reliant on the dollar since the enactment of the Bretton Woods Agreement, lost its formal connection to gold.
At one time in the history of the US, one could get a silver certificate in various denominations of currency. This was also removed.

Passage of Administration-backed silver legislation in 1963 signaled the gradual elimination of silver backing from U.S. paper currency and marked an end to policies adopted in 1933 when the Federal Government began to subsidize the silver miners.
If you follow the precious metals markets you will see that both gold and silver have been rising and that means that people around the world that are holding US paper money are converting it to precious metals. As demand for these metals rises, so does the amount of dollars that are needed to purchase these precious metals.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2018
Texas
GeoHorn: I suggest that you should be working on your writing and comprehension skills because many times you will write something in a post that doesn't compute with your true thoughts. A suggestion would be for you to write the post, and then not post it for an hour or two, and then reread it before posting to make sure that what you have written is your actual thoughts. Cognitive thinking is a skill that is lost as one ages, and while I have no idea of your age, I can see in your posts that your thought processes are sometimes confusing between your printed word and what you are thinking.

It is an accepted fact by all economists that inflation is a result of the government spending money to bolster the economy without having a way of recovering the money spent in the form of taxes. The more that people have to pay in taxes, the less that they have to spend to bolster the economy. When the government lowers taxes, and government spends less on "gifts" to the people and states, the stronger the economy. Originally our currency was backed by gold, however, the government removed gold from backing the printed money until 1971.

At one time in the history of the US, one could get a silver certificate in various denominations of currency. This was also removed.

If you follow the precious metals markets you will see that both gold and silver have been rising and that means that people around the world that are holding US paper money are converting it to precious metals. As demand for these metals rises, so does the amount of dollars that are needed to purchase these precious metals.
PoppyCock. Write something like “It’s a well acepted Fact…” then post whatever YOU believe…. don’t make it so.

Vince1230

Equipment
Bx2370
May 13, 2022
Honey Grove,Pa
I feel many people will lose jobs as companie make ordering on the app mandatory. Labor costs will increase but less employees will be hired or needed.

Biker1mike

Equipment
B6200, Kubota 2030 Front Blade, King Cutter 60" finishing deck
Jan 11, 2022
Gallatin, NY USA
What is the meal worth ?
Yesterday I spent $31 for two Mac and Cheese with green tea .
Brought them to elementary school and had 'special person' lunch with the second grade grandkid.
Money well spent !!

The Panera mac and cheese would never be my idea of a quality meal at that price.