It is tick season.

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Thanks for posting that.

I had never heard of those "Tick tubes".

I'm gonna make some up and try it out.
I also watched the video and wondered how it works. I found this video that explains the process. https://esajournals.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1002/ecs2.4155#:~:text=Tick control tubes contain permethrin,these tubes for tick control.

I also considered using cardboard tubes, but I believe a better solution would be to use central vacuum plastic tubing cut into the same length as a toilet paper tube. I will also drill a hold in the middle of the tube that goes through to the other side of the tube, and use a 16 penny nail to keep it in place. I can see the cardboard tube being chewed up for nesting material along with the cotton balls. It will also eliminate the cardboard tubes getting water soaked rendering the cotton balls useless.
One thing that I also think about is rodent control killing off the mouse population. If you have a rodent control method in use, you could in theory knock down the mouse population so that the tick population will thrive on the remaining mice.

Last edited:

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Took the first tick off of our new puppy tonight. Trying to get him housebroken is difficult and having to deal with ticks this early in the season is going to present a major problem since he has to go out every few hours.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
“Instead of treating the mice with permethrin-soaked cotton… why not just wash the kids clothing in it..?? …and send the kids out to play amongst the ticks….? ?” - W.C. Fields 🎩

Ever since we stopped raising cattle on the place here …. a year later….we’ve no longer seen ticks.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Guinea fowl are pretty good at tic control from what I hear, though I would think most any fowl would be

Reactions: 1 user

Torinodan

Equipment
T1600, G4200, G5200, Ford 2810, 1974 Wheel Horse C100
Oct 14, 2021
Fayetteville GA
Ticks out down here. Went out yesterday to do a quick salvage run picking up an old shed. Didn't think much of it but this morning woke up to 4 ticks chewing me up. Baby ticks but they bite and keep moving.
I've had AlphaGal for four years now and not eating red meat for the next 23 really sucks to think about. Stay safe!

Last edited:

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
Permethrin is also a good insecticide to control those pesky wood boring bees. Used it with grease success last year. It's not toxic to mammals onve dried.
So how do you use it with grease?

I have those damn bee's, and I am always running around trying to spray them with wasp spray.
Guinea fowl are pretty good at tic control from what I hear, though I would think most any fowl would be
I love those birds.

My neighbor has about a dozen or so, along with about 25 chickens that roam our yard sometimes.

I like just sitting there with a cigar and watching them.

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
So how do you use it with grease?

I have those damn bee's, and I am always running around trying to spray them with wasp spray.

I love those birds.

My neighbor has about a dozen or so, along with about 25 chickens that roam our yard sometimes.

I like just sitting there with a cigar and watching them.
It's like a sticky bomb, but with permethrin. (Saving Private Ryan reference)
Aside from my spelchequer being bustimicated, I just mix and spray the wood surfaces (especially sides and underneath) twice a year. The typical insect killers did not seem to phase them.

Reactions: 1 user