Tach stopped working

quazz

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 and Z411
Jan 6, 2014
Rockley, NS
On my L3800, my tach and hour meter stopped working today so I searched around and it seems likely that the most probable cause is a broken cable. I have been trying to find the part number on Kubota's site but have not been successful. Does anyone know the part number and also could there be another issue causing the tach and hour meter to stop? It is too cold to be crawling under my tractor to take the old one off so whatever the issue is it will wait a month or two anyway.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
There are three things that can break:tachometer itself, cable or the driver attached to the engine.

Disconnect the cable at the engine end. Attach a drill (motor) to the cable end and see if the tachometer works. If so then it is the drive attached to the engine.

If the tachometer doesn’t work then you can remove the cable from the tachometer and see if it spins at the far end when you spin the near end. If so then the tachometer is not working properly. If both ends of the cable are not attached to each other then replace the cable.

quazz

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 and Z411
Jan 6, 2014
Rockley, NS
There are three things that can break:tachometer itself, cable or the driver attached to the engine.

Disconnect the cable at the engine end. Attach a drill (motor) to the cable end and see if the tachometer works. If so then it is the drive attached to the engine.

If the tachometer doesn’t work then you can remove the cable from the tachometer and see if it spins at the far end when you spin the near end. If so then the tachometer is not working properly. If both ends of the cable are not attached to each other then replace the cable.
That is logical troubleshooting. Awesome! Thank you.

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
Or, you can detach the engine end and pull the cable out. If 7" of cable comes out in your hand, replace the cable.
Last time mine went out, I just pulled the inner cable out of the sheath. Then pushed the new one in the old sheath. Easier than routing the whole thing through the "firewall" and along the engine.
Pro tip- lubricate the new cable liberally with a low viscosity silicone grease. Motorcycle/ bicycle cable lube is a good option. The replacements (and probably original ones) come with little to no lubricant on them.

Reactions: 1 users

quazz

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 and Z411
Jan 6, 2014
Rockley, NS
Or, you can detach the engine end and pull the cable out. If 7" of cable comes out in your hand, replace the cable.
Last time mine went out, I just pulled the inner cable out of the sheath. Then pushed the new one in the old sheath. Easier than routing the whole thing through the "firewall" and along the engine.
Pro tip- lubricate the new cable liberally with a low viscosity silicone grease. Motorcycle/ bicycle cable lube is a good option. The replacements (and probably original ones) come with little to no lubricant on them.
Good idea on leaving the sheath inact and I definitely will give the new one a good lubing. Thanks.

Reactions: 1 user

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas

Could spinning the cable and tach with a drill motor…the Wrong Way/direction (CW or CCW)… damage a tach..?

I don’t know…. but if it were me,…. I’d disconnect the drive cable at the TACH..start the engine…aand see if the inner cable spins. if it does..it’s a tach problem ($$)d

If it doesn’t…it’s either the cable ….OR the drive adaptor/attach at the engine. (affordble)

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
I have been trying to find the part number on Kubota's site but have not been successful. Does anyone know the part number
The tach cable is shown in the electrical section, panel board. There may be different part numbers, depending on your exact model and serial number.

Robert Whitlock

Equipment
2013 Kubota L3800DT
Feb 29, 2024
Kentucky
Could spinning the cable and tach with a drill motor…the Wrong Way/direction (CW or CCW)… damage a tach..?

I don’t know…. but if it were me,…. I’d disconnect the drive cable at the TACH..start the engine…aand see if the inner cable spins. if it does..it’s a tach problem ($$)d

If it doesn’t…it’s either the cable ….OR the drive adaptor/attach at the engine. (affordble)
I just got through buying over 200 dollars worth of Cable and tachometer elbow only to discover that it's the tachometer itself. I hope there's a fix for it because it's not detachable from the instrument panel. I think I saw the Instrument panel listed new for over 1100.00.

• Wow