Valve Adjustment on L4701

Trapper Bob

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L4701, Wicked grapple, 6’ bush hog, pallet forks, 7’ box blade, 6’ Wicked bucket
Jan 17, 2022
Andover, KS
I have passed the 800 hour mark on my L4701. The manual says to do a valve adjustment along with the regular maintenance. I am comfortable performing this task, just curious. I am mostly a gas engine guy. This is the only diesel I have worked on. For those who have been under the valve cover, is there any tips or things I should look out for?

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Fairly straight forward - much the same as a gas engine - getting the crank at the "correct" spot for each cylinder is the key.

If memory serves me - 7 thou (inch) on intake and a bit more on exhaust, check your WSM for exact specs.

I have also heard that on some engines - the injectors need to be removed to get the cover off - not sure if this applies in this situation.

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
Adjustment is more intense than checking. A competent mechanic can check all the clearances pretty quickly. It doesn't even require you to position the crank specifically. You can watch the rockers and tell when the valves are closed. On any motor, I can simply rotate till the springs are unloaded and check clearance. If there is adjustment needed, on most engines, the same rule applies to push rod driven valve trains. Shim under is a different story.

Trapper Bob

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L4701, Wicked grapple, 6’ bush hog, pallet forks, 7’ box blade, 6’ Wicked bucket
Jan 17, 2022
Andover, KS
Adjustment is more intense than checking. A competent mechanic can check all the clearances pretty quickly. It doesn't even require you to position the crank specifically. You can watch the rockers and tell when the valves are closed. On any motor, I can simply rotate till the springs are unloaded and check clearance. If there is adjustment needed, on most engines, the same rule applies to push rod driven valve trains. Shim under is a different story.
KTM’s (RFS motor) have a system to adjust valve clearance. They use a jamb nut & screw. I’ve done that quite a lot. I hope there is more room to work, on the Kubota, & an equally simple system.

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
KTM’s (RFS motor) have a system to adjust valve clearance. They use a jamb nut & screw. I’ve done that quite a lot. I hope there is more room to work, on the Kubota, & an equally simple system.
My old BMWs are like that. Same with the generator. Not terribly difficult.