Want to swap R-4s for Ag Tires on MX-5100

DocD

Equipment
MX-5100
Feb 1, 2024
Western PA
Hi all,

totally new to posting on this site though I have looked at many posts before. Probably a longshot, but I am hoping to find somebody who has an MX-5100 (or other model w compatible rim/tire sizes) with Ag tires ON rims who would prefer R-4s instead. I have the R-4s on my MX-5100 and really need Ag tires for much of what I do with my tractor. I looked into just buying the tires, but it looks like I would actually need new rims also as the MX-5100 OEM rim sizes for the R-4s are different than the rim diameter for the Ag tires - which would give me different overall wheel diameters and possibly mess up the 4wd. Seems to me that the easiest and most cost effective solution is to hope that I am lucky enough to find somebody within a few hours drive time of me (near Pittsburgh, PA) who has the same tractor with Ag tires who wants the R-4s instead. OR... is it possible to buy Ag tires in the right dimensions to mount on my existing rims but give me the same overall wheel diameters so that I don't mess up the 4wd? I know how to do that calculation on car tire/rim sizes but am a greenhorn as far as tractor tires. Thoughts? or any other solutions I have not mentioned in this post? Thanks so much in advance!!

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
You need new tires mounted on new rims along with new centers, Best price on that is the dealer.

Finding a trade is a real long shot. You might have better luck selling the R4 package to someone that wants both.

Dan

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Ask the dealer sales force for whole goods prices.

Don’t go through the parts department

DocD

Equipment
MX-5100
Feb 1, 2024
Western PA
Yes... mud is my main enemy by far. The gaps between the treadblocks on those R4s fill up near immediately and turn them into racing slicks. I literally need to wait for extended dry spells to do any work around my yards or hauling rocks or firewood out of my woods, etc. I wondered if chains would be helpful enough after seeing a timber skidding machine running them as standard equipment mid summer...but ultimately for how I use my machine, it seems clear that Ags would be the right long-term move

GrizBota

Equipment
L3830HST/LA724, B2601/LA435/RCK54-32, RCR1872, CDI 66”grapple, pallet forks
Apr 26, 2023
Oregon
You might check compatibility with some of the other MX models. I sort of think the MXs are pretty similar to one another other than the engine horsepower.

I agree on the utility of the R1s (Agg.) for being the right tool in the right conditions. It’s surprising to me how many CUTs are sold with R4s (Ind.) I think they are probably the most common tire for the Ls and MXs anymore. Must be lots of driveways to sweep and horse paddocks to clean.

Last edited: